Author Topic: Luxbet officially our new major co-sponsor  (Read 50480 times)

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: AIG sponsorship falls over
« Reply #165 on: November 07, 2008, 07:33:10 AM »
It would be nice if the federal government guaranteed the funds of our sponsership, similar to that of the bail out of the banks. :thumbsup

richmondrules

« Reply #166 on: November 07, 2008, 07:35:48 AM »

What's the old Buddhist thing. Live in the now, not in the past or the future.

(My god it was hard to get the filename of the picture past the swear filter. lol.)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #167 on: November 07, 2008, 09:12:23 AM »
If I was AIG Australia, I would have wanted to impress on people that the troubles in the US have no reflection on its operations in Australia and signed up with the Tiges. 

Moi, I assume you are talking about the negative publicity as the troubles in the US as opposed to the financial crisis and situation in world markets.

Ramps

« Reply #168 on: November 07, 2008, 09:17:06 AM »
Isnt $800,000 a  year paying under the odds, I would have thought that this sponsorship would be worth atleast $1.2 million a year.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #169 on: November 07, 2008, 09:20:14 AM »
Isnt $800,000 a  year paying under the odds, I would have thought that this sponsorship would be worth atleast $1.2 million a year.

In my opinion yes but as they say it is only worth what someone will pay for it and at the moment we dont have any buyers

Moi

« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »
If I was AIG Australia, I would have wanted to impress on people that the troubles in the US have no reflection on its operations in Australia and signed up with the Tiges. 

Moi, I assume you are talking about the negative publicity as the troubles in the US as opposed to the financial crisis and situation in world markets.
No, just distancing itself from its US parent who were bailed out by the fed govt over there, that a good way to create the impression that everything was hunky dory would be to announce a flash sponsorship deal with an AFL club.  They didn't do that, and I would have thought the club would have got a bit nervous earlier than this and started looking elsewhere.

It's disappointing to see all their efforts go for nought.  I would like to hear more answers than what's in the paper today of why they didn't go ahead with the deal.  Was there some kind of in principle agreement that all involved had reached and AIG have now reneged?  I think we're entitled to know more of what went on here.  As someone  on another forum has said, they've got some good advertising out of this and I agree with them.  But not at our expense and I would like a bit more detail in what's actually happened here.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »
No, just distancing itself from its US parent who were bailed out by the fed govt over there, that a good way to create the impression that everything was hunky dory would be to announce a flash sponsorship deal with an AFL club.  They didn't do that, and I would have thought the club would have got a bit nervous earlier than this and started looking elsewhere.

It's disappointing to see all their efforts go for nought.  I would like to hear more answers than what's in the paper today of why they didn't go ahead with the deal.  Was there some kind of in principle agreement that all involved had reached and AIG have now reneged?  I think we're entitled to know more of what went on here.  As someone  on another forum has said, they've got some good advertising out of this and I agree with them.  But not at our expense and I would like a bit more detail in what's actually happened here.

To know more detail would be good but honestly I think primarily it will be because of the world economy and financial crisis.  The two big impacts on Australian companies in the last two months have been
1. The financial crisis which has resulted in a drying up of funds for companies to provide working capital for their business
2. The devaluation of the $A against most major currencies which has boosted the cost of imports up by at least 30%
If the situation doesn't improve soon company hedges will be used up and Australian companies will be forced to do two things
1. Increase selling price of goods into the Australian market
2. Implement cost cutting measures ie retrenchments

IMO this is going to get a lot uglier.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #172 on: November 07, 2008, 11:33:42 AM »

i agree, I would have thought that a sponsorship would in fact counter the negative publicity and uncertainty surrounding banks right now...Me thinks this may have been a knee jerk reaction to the 450k spent on a sales conference once it hit the press
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Moi

« Reply #173 on: November 07, 2008, 11:42:40 AM »
To know more detail would be good but honestly I think primarily it will be because of the world economy and financial crisis.  The two big impacts on Australian companies in the last two months have been
1. The financial crisis which has resulted in a drying up of funds for companies to provide working capital for their business
2. The devaluation of the $A against most major currencies which has boosted the cost of imports up by at least 30%
If the situation doesn't improve soon company hedges will be used up and Australian companies will be forced to do two things
1. Increase selling price of goods into the Australian market
2. Implement cost cutting measures ie retrenchments

IMO this is going to get a lot uglier.
It probably was all that.  But I would have thought it would have been a good marketing ploy for AIG to show its clients that it was travelling okay, instead of giving a perception to all that they're not a company you want to deal with because you just don't know when they're going to crash.  Must be a nervous time for those who work for AIG to hear this news this morning, just as much as it is for Tiger supporters.

So we leave AIG, now what?  Hopefully, there's another company in the wings.

I've heard Sony.  Someone else mentioned earlier some housing construction company.  But nothing in writing.

Nervous times indeed.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: November 07, 2008, 11:46:49 AM »
It probably was all that.  But I would have thought it would have been a good marketing ploy for AIG to show its clients that it was travelling okay, instead of giving a perception to all that they're not a company you want to deal with because you just don't know when they're going to crash.  Must be a nervous time for those who work for AIG to hear this news this morning, just as much as it is for Tiger supporters.

They are probably like my company publicly announcing that everything is fine while not committing to anything and behind closed doors making up a drastic plan of retrenchments and cost cutting

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #175 on: November 07, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »
It would be nice if the federal government guaranteed the funds of our sponsership, similar to that of the bail out of the banks. :thumbsup

It would be a good idea but as they would have to do it for all the AFL clubs they probably dont have enough coverage for Carlton's underhanded paperbag sponsorship deals ;D

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2008, 03:38:18 PM »
So we leave AIG, now what?  Hopefully, there's another company in the wings.

I've heard Sony.  Someone else mentioned earlier some housing construction company.  But nothing in writing.

Nervous times indeed.

geez a housing co huh, Id be more nervous about their prospects than the banks TBH
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2008, 04:35:23 PM »
On the positive side I think we would be more likely to attract a sponsor than Melbourne or the Bullies.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Sponsor bails out on Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2008, 08:48:41 PM »
"No heads of agreement had ever been executed with AIG and AIG has since confirmed that they will not be pursuing a sponsorship with the Richmond Football Club."

"This is a very opportune time to be associated with the Richmond Football Club.

"Notwithstanding the on-field performance, there are some very exciting factors including the Punt Rd redevelopment and a very favourable draw that includes 16 free-to-air games."
Wasn't it said previously we did have a heads of agreement with AIG?  ??? Seems the media were wrong on that one too.

Those last two lines are a public pitch. We don't know what's going on behind the scenes but that doesn't feel you with confidence that we have another potential sponsor close on hand as plan B  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Sponsor bails out on Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2008, 08:30:58 PM »

The AIG deal was believed to be worth $800,000 a season over three years and would have seen the company join Dick Smith Electronics as co-major backers of the Tigers.

Thank goodness someone finally bothered to mention that we still have a "major sponsor" in Dick Smith Electronics.

Sadly in the excitement and then disappointment of this AIG thing, this little FACT seemed too have been forgotten...

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)