Author Topic: Luxbet officially our new major co-sponsor  (Read 50478 times)

Ramps

Re: New major sponsor news [merged]
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2008, 06:17:21 PM »
This may be a stupid question, but has any club ever taken Shares instead of Cash from a listed company-in terms of doing a sponsorship agreement?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2008, 08:17:45 PM »
This may be a stupid question, but has any club ever taken Shares instead of Cash from a listed company-in terms of doing a sponsorship agreement?

Interesting question Ramps... certainly not stupid

can honestly say I don't have a clue as to what the answer is.

I wonder whether clubs would actually admit to it :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2008, 11:37:40 PM »
Not knocking the idea Ramps as getting into the sharemarket when it's down is a good idea as it will payoff in the future but would accepting shares instead cause cash flow issues though at this time of year? Don't clubs need cash to spend now and over summer before they recoup the money via memberships and game receipts?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2008, 09:35:17 AM »
Much and all as I would like to have a sponsor I certainly hope it's not Dodo. The saying 'dead as a dodo' keeps ringing in my ears and I have been told that's somewhat on the same level as their service.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2008, 12:13:42 PM »
what about Sony ?

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #200 on: November 24, 2008, 02:40:12 PM »

Ramps, I would have thought there was no way this would be a possibility as I would have thought all footy clubs need the cash flow as MT stated.

However I have just read the below
http://www.livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/11/24/Bombers_profits_affected_by_financial_crisis
and the write-down in the value of club investments from the share market - a loss that remains unrealised at this stage.

I was really surprised to hear that AFL clubs would invest in the share market, but as at least one obviously does then your question about receiving shares as sponsorship is not that far off the mark at all.

I would assume only AFL clubs with surplus cash would consider this though.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »
Presumably the richer clubs saw an investment opportunity apart from cash (interest) while riding the boom. The Bombers have copped a hit on the market although it sounds as though they haven't sold their portfolio so they should be okay if they hold onto it long term. The Pies went into property (hotels) and that was a multi-million dollar boo-boo.

Just an extra thought along the lines of Ramps' idea. Could you make a deal that the sponsoring company offers some cash now (perhaps less than the $800k we want) plus some financial derivative that can be turned into cash at a later date once the economic climate is back on the up. What I mean is say we get $600k now plus a call option with a strike price around $3.20 (using Ramps' bluescope steel as an example) which is above their current share price. So in the future when the sharemarket and bluescope's fortunes are back on the rise (say $4 per share), we can buy $4 shares at $3.20 and then sell them immediately at 80c profit each. If the call option is for 500,000 shares then that's $400k into the RFC kitty. The company has gained below-cost sponsorship in the meantime and will be in a better position to pay more when the option is exercised and we eventually gain $1m into total from the sponsorship. A win-win. Not sure if that made sense but that's my crazy idea lol.

Ramps

« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2008, 06:58:43 PM »
Presumably the richer clubs saw an investment opportunity apart from cash (interest) while riding the boom. The Bombers have copped a hit on the market although it sounds as though they haven't sold their portfolio so they should be okay if they hold onto it long term. The Pies went into property (hotels) and that was a multi-million dollar boo-boo.

Just an extra thought along the lines of Ramps' idea. Could you make a deal that the sponsoring company offers some cash now (perhaps less than the $800k we want) plus some financial derivative that can be turned into cash at a later date once the economic climate is back on the up. What I mean is say we get $600k now plus a call option with a strike price around $3.20 (using Ramps' bluescope steel as an example) which is above their current share price. So in the future when the sharemarket and bluescope's fortunes are back on the rise (say $4 per share), we can buy $4 shares at $3.20 and then sell them immediately at 80c profit each. If the call option is for 500,000 shares then that's $400k into the RFC kitty. The company has gained below-cost sponsorship in the meantime and will be in a better position to pay more when the option is exercised and we eventually gain $1m into total from the sponsorship. A win-win. Not sure if that made sense but that's my crazy idea lol.

You, me and afew others in here should get together and see if we can come up with some dodgy schemes for trading on the ASX lol  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
You, me and afew others in here should get together and see if we can come up with some dodgy schemes for trading on the ASX lol  ;D
We can register the RFC in Bermuda or some other tax haven  ;D.

Just checked out of curiosity and BSL shares are actually currently $3.50. It hasn't been this low since 2003 and in only July it was up around $10. There's a $4.25 American call option that expires in March 2010. If your game enough Ramps to believe the economy will be back on the mend in 16 months time and BSL's share price by then will be above $4.25 then there you go lol.

Ramps

« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2008, 07:09:29 PM »
According to radio rumourfile on 3aw they said Nissan was in the van to sign up as the co sponsor for season 2009.

bushranger

« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2008, 07:23:51 PM »
I hope there is a lot of truth behind this one. They will get value for their dollar.  :gotigers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2008, 07:35:42 PM »
According to radio rumourfile on 3aw they said Nissan was in the van to sign up as the co sponsor for season 2009.
Let's hope it's true. Nissan were rumoured a month or two ago that they were going to be another shorts sponsor but we've heard nothing else since.   

bushranger

« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2008, 07:55:19 PM »
Well if it is Nissan to come on at least we will drive their dollar further.  :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2008, 05:13:58 AM »
A shame Richmond didn't get Malaysia as a major sponsor instead of the Blues. As the Tigers we would've had the perfect connection with Asia.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24707899-19742,00.html

bushranger

« Reply #209 on: November 26, 2008, 07:13:08 AM »
I actually had said them a while ago, thinking the same lines that, Tiger Airlines and Richmond Tiger's would be good together.
Or the airlines become a sponsor to us.