Author Topic: Changes for the Port game?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Changes for the Port game?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 11:48:29 AM »
Cause hardwick wants to play the oldest 22 people on the list
Maybe selectionplay in the twos demanded selection they could get a game without being gifted

Can't have your cake and eat it

What you say is fair enough - but why apply these rules to the kids in the twos - and yet the coach favorite's mid age players in the ones that consistently play at a low level as near undroppable? dont the senior players have to demand selection via performance also?

Miles almost went at half a season, at bog each week with 40 odd touches getting tags. Yet it stilltook months for himto get a game - and the coACH stated he was surprised with miles output.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 11:51:52 AM »
Cause hardwick wants to play the oldest 22 people on the list
Maybe selectionplay in the twos demanded selection they could get a game without being gifted

Can't have your cake and eat it

What you say is fair enough - but why apply these rules to the kids in the twos - and yet the coach favorite's mid age players in the ones that consistently play at a low level as near undroppable? dont the senior players have to demand selection via performance also?

Miles almost went at half a season, at bog each week with 40 odd touches getting tags. Yet it stilltook months for himto get a game - and the coACH stated he was surprised with miles output.

You just bentified my quote

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 01:04:04 PM »
Just read Craig Cameron is ready to return to footy.

Must be employed immediately.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 05:35:55 PM »
Outs- Houli, Petterd, Batchelor
Ins- Morris, McBean, Vlastuin.

Surely bling Freddie can see the 3 ins are miles better than the 3 outs.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 06:49:58 PM »

Curious big tone - you didn't rate Petterd's game yesterday? I thought he was in our best half dozen

Not disputing the deficiencies in his game but offers a bit more than a number of others when it comes to putting his body on the line and attacking contests
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
He might not have the polish or skill of some of his team mates but if they all produced the same level of effort and endeavour then we would be much higher on the ladder than we are at present.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
Nothing personal against pettard but he's OK at best..

Would would u have him in the side over

Morris - who is three times as tough
Bean - who is three times as much potential
Vlastuin - wwho just better

I'd keep pettard on the list over a lot of people

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »
Not a fair question Bents, he doesn't play the same role as any of those.  I agree he's not a great player but he gives 110% at each and every contest and that is something we have been embarrassingly poor at all year.  I'd play him each and every week - leave those not prepared to give it all in the 2's until they proved they will and can force him out but that's not going to happen in the current environment of walk-up starts and protected species.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »
Vlas and morris give more than pettard if toughness at contest is by your benchmark of choice

The don't play the identically position - but these days all non kpp are interchangeable

Again i got nothing against pettard he's OK. If I were in charge I'd keep him on the current list blockers for depth

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 07:29:42 PM »
That we're discussing who gives more is an indictment on the clubs recruiting and development....just sayin'
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 08:14:48 PM »

Curious big tone - you didn't rate Petterd's game yesterday? I thought he was in our best half dozen

Not disputing the deficiencies in his game but offers a bit more than a number of others when it comes to putting his body on the line and attacking contests
Didn't think he did much yesterday.
But my 'outs' were not just on yesterday's game. Just think we can do better than Petterd. Honest player but just not good enough IMO.
Morris and Vlastuin are automatic inclusions IMO and McBean I think has earned the chance over a player like Ricky.
My question for you WP is, could you rely on Petterd in a big game to produce his best? Need to work out who can and who cannot.
IMO when the season is over like it is, you don't play players like Petter if you have players in the twos that could play a similar role and who has been playing well down there.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 08:17:47 PM »
Nothing personal against pettard but he's OK at best..

Would would u have him in the side over

Morris - who is three times as tough
Bean - who is three times as much potential
Vlastuin - wwho just better

I'd keep pettard on the list over a lot of people

But it isn't just about whether he should be in ahead of player A, B or C simply because they are available for selection this week.

It should also be about why should Petterd get dropped ahead of others who refuse to the very things he does unconditionally. Petterd played better than foley and Arnot yesterday. So why should be be dropped before them?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »
Not a fair question Bents, he doesn't play the same role as any of those.  I agree he's not a great player but he gives 110% at each and every contest and that is something we have been embarrassingly poor at all year.  I'd play him each and every week - leave those not prepared to give it all in the 2's until they proved they will and can force him out but that's not going to happen in the current environment of walk-up starts and protected species.

At a point in time, Pettard creates the spirit of competition for spots in the 22 purely based on effort and application.
Unfortunately, I thought his talent equalled the quality of competition that defined our 2011-12 teams but sadly that hasn't quite worked out for us in 2014.  :-\
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2014, 08:30:34 PM »

But my 'outs' were not just on yesterday's game. Just think we can do better than Petterd. Honest player but just not good enough IMO.
Morris and Vlastuin are automatic inclusions IMO and McBean I think has earned the chance over a player like Ricky.
My question for you WP is, could you rely on Petterd in a big game to produce his best? Need to work out who can can and who cannot.
IMO when the season is over like it is, you don't play players like Petter if you have players in the twos that could play a similar role and who has been playing well down there.

I agree with you about needing to see what the kids offer and whether they are good enough. I've been banging on about that for weeks now.

Just don't agree with dropping blokes who played their role just to bring back blokes who are available for selection. Petterd is one of the very few players we have that I never walk away from a game and think he didn't give his all. Just think there are a few ahead of him that deserve the axe.

I also know I am in the minority but I don't see Morris as an automatic selection now. His inability to keep his feet at crucial stages and his decision making in relation to when to go the bump or the tackle have been costly. BTW this is something I had concerns about last year (copped a few whacks for it too) and I haven't seen anything this year to change my mind. I see him as a favourite now, therefore by definition an automatic selection.

Then just for good measure throw in the fact that he has an injury that requires surgery then can anyone tell me why we are still playing him when our season is shot?

By all means play the kids but bring them in for those who should be dropped for poor performances not for those who are doing the right thing

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »

My question for you WP is, could you rely on Petterd in a big game to produce his best? Need to work out who can can and who cannot.

I agree with you about needing to see what the kids offer and whether they are good enough. I've been banging on about that for weeks now.

Just don't agree with dropping blokes who played their role just to bring back blokes who are available for selection. Petterd is one of the very few players we have that I never walk away from a game and think he didn't give his all. Just think there are a few ahead of him that deserve the axe.

I also know I am in the minority but I don't see Morris as an automatic selection now. His inability to keep his feet at crucial stages and his decision making in relation to when to go the bump or the tackle have been costly. BTW this is something I had concerns about last year (copped a few whacks for it too) and I haven't seen anything this year to change my mind. I see him as a favourite now, therefore by definition an automatic selection.

Then just for good measure throw in the fact that he has an injury that requires surgery then can anyone tell me why we are still playing him when our season is shot?

By all means play the kids but bring them in for those who should be dropped for poor performances not for those who are doing the right thing
Someone that gives his all is fantastic in Petterd's case but if you are not up to it, it doesn't really matter. The Dees got rid of him because he is no good when they we're even worse.  A good trier or a good clubman will only get you so far.
As for Morris, I simply think you are wrong. On one hand you talk about Petterd 'giving his all' and then you want to rubbish Morris who gives more than anyone in a Tigers jumper. What the??
And don't even get me started on your opinion on Thomas. He has his deficiencies like Petterd but I don't think you can argue he gives his all.
Let's be honest, they are all pathetic baring a few. Including the coaching staff.  :thumbsup