Author Topic: Richmond sell one home game to the Gold Coast.  (Read 5049 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Richmond sell one home game to the Gold Coast.
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 09:38:20 PM »
OK, so as i understand it this is what will happen.

10 Home games in Melbourne.
1 In QLD
+ ticketed members gain free access into an away game played in Melb to replace the QLD one.

We still get access to 11/17 games in Melbourne with ticketed membership.
+ $400,000 in the coffers and a game up North ( a mini holiday for some maybe ?)
+ there is a good chance that this may be played on a Fri or Saturday night.

So could someone please point out the negatives, because personally i see this as a positive, onwards and upwards.

Negatives:

Selling home games interstate.
if we won enough games to make finals we wouldn't need to sell home games.

Personally doesn't effect me as my lady gets cheap flights but to the normal Joe blo its hard to come up with cash to see their team play interstate.

2 tickets =$400
car and hotel.

$1000 weekend for what. Nothing.

With a new team starting up on the Gold Coast, all the support will go that club.

We have always had a solid membership base even with only 2 finals appearances in 25 years so i think they should reward us by getting the best deal for us.

More home games at the g and less at that Telstra hole.

I dont care about what the hawks done by going to Tassy but our homeland is here. We were a powerhouse and lets get that back.

thats all well and good my friend but being rightoeus doesn't exactly swell the balance sheet. I'd much prefer to preserve the future of my footy club with a short term venture than be stupidly defiant and put the club in a perilous situation during a difficult economic period

And that is it in a nutshell BJ (not the son of a beach BJ) ;D - times they are a changin, as long as our home is the G and we play at least 3/4 of our games in Melbourne, what can I say I don't like it ! but I love the Tigers and if it means we have a STRONG future - so be it.

I don't necessarliy like it, I would prefer going back to the old days to be honest  :thumbsup but that's just not reality is it.

I can be a miserable K and hate it all I want, and I do - But that is defeating the purpose of what my life and my love for the Tigers is all about. So I will deal with it.

I JUST WANT A FREAKIN FLAG MAN .............

well said CUB, it's like asking ya kids to eat their veggies, sure they dont like it, but it's for the best :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 09:42:47 PM »
well said CUB, it's like asking ya kids to eat their veggies, sure they dont like it, but it's for the best :gotigers

Fair way to look at it BJ17 :clapping :clapping

But just like eating my veggies... I can stomp my feet, moan, groan and throw a tantie about because I don't like it  ;D :thumbsup
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 07:50:17 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 08:19:35 AM »
With a new team starting up on the Gold Coast, all the support will go that club.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 07:21:47 PM »
If we play North up there we'll have 100% crowd support. GC hates North now.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 08:07:56 PM »
I've always hated North and that mythical "Shinboner Spirit"  :lol :rollin :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 10:04:42 PM »
It doesn't exist in September that's for sure lol.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2008, 07:37:48 AM »
It doesn't exist in September that's for sure lol.

at least they play regular finals thats more than us

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 09:43:16 PM »

I once referred to it as rubbish in a bottle :whistle
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers join Gold Coast expansion (RFC)
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »
Tigers join Gold Coast expansion
4:02 PM Fri 17 October, 2008

Richmond, along with Carlton and St Kilda, will play one home game each year for the next two years on the Gold Coast.

“AFL is the premium national football brand and the opportunity to showcase our club in one of the fastest growing corridors in Australia is a great one for Richmond,” Richmond CEO Steven Wright said

“It will assist in the continued development of Richmond’s national profile and allow us to continue to build our membership throughout Australia,” Wright said.

“The Gold Coast game will provide significant benefits to the club and we will ensure our Victorian members will not miss out. In 2009, we will be playing 17 games in Victoria, the same as in 2008.”

“Additionally, members will get access to an additional MCG game in lieu of the Gold Coast game. This means in 2009, Richmond members will get access to 9 MCG and 2 Telstra Dome games,” he said.

“This is an excellent outcome for our members and will also provide additional financial security for the Club through these difficult economic times.”

“Additionally, with the game fixtured during school holidays we anticipate many Richmond fans will make the trip north to watch the inaugural Richmond game,” Wright said.

Senior coach Terry Wallace said: “The game is now well and truly national. By playing one game a year on the Gold Coast we will be able to reach out to our interstate supporters and also get crucial game time playing on the surface at Carrara,” he said.

Richmond vice captain Chris Newman said: “We are excited that our Richmond brand will be involved with marketing the AFL expansion in South East Queensland and we urge our supporters to come along and watch us play on the Gold Coast.”

AFL Chief Operating Officer Gillon McLaughlin said it was important to fixture strong games next season to continue to build interest in the code.

“We know that the best advertisement for AFL is to see a game live. The atmosphere created by thousands of passionate fans combined with the fast-paced action and skill of AFL provides great entertainment,” he said.

“We’re thrilled to have three of our traditional AFL Clubs in Carlton, Richmond and St Kilda joining with us to build the game in South East Queensland, by bringing great teams and local heroes to the Gold Coast next year.”

Richmond stars Luke McGuane and Andrew Raines are just two of the Richmond AFL players that are looking forward to playing for the Tigers in their home state of Queensland.

http://www.afl.com.au/AFL2008/News/Article/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=69069

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Your Richmond on the Gold Coast questions answered (RFC)
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »
Your Gold Coast questions answered
4:01 PM Fri 17 October, 2008

Richmond CEO Steven Wright answers your questions about Richmond’s involvement with the Gold Coast in the next two seasons.

How many games will Richmond play in Victoria in 2009?
In 2009, Richmond will play a total 17 home and away games in Victoria, the same number as in 2008.

As a ticketed member, how many games will I get access to? Do I get one less game in Victoria?
Richmond standard ticketed members will still get entry into the traditional 11 Melbourne based games. In 2009, they will get access to 9 MCG games (2008: 8) and 2 Telstra Dome games (2008:3). Ten of these games will be home games and the other game will be a replacement (away) game in which Richmond plays at the MCG in lieu of the Gold Coast game.  Further details of which game will be the replacement game will be finalised shortly. Subject to ground capacity, Richmond 17 game members will continue to get access to the 17 Victorian games in which Richmond play.

I am a reserved seat member for all Richmond home games. At how many games will I have a reserved seat?
Richmond members will have a reserved seat at 10 home games in Melbourne (8MCG, 2 TD) and access to a reserved area at the MCG for the replacement (away) game. Details of the replacement game and reserved area will be finalised shortly and advised to reserved seat holders asap.

Why did Richmond agree to play one home a year on the Gold Coast for the next two years?
The AFL is now a truly national code. Its expansion plans into the Gold Coast and Western Sydney will further cement the national profile of the game, As a club, we have members, supporters and sponsors who are spread across the entire country with many in Sth East Queensland. This move to play a game on the Gold Coast will give those Richmond members, supporters and sponsors the opportunity to experience their club first hand as well as raise our profile in one of the fastest growing regions of Australia. The financial benefits to be received by the club for playing on the Gold Coast will also provide additional financial security for the club during these difficult economic conditions.  It is also anticipated that Carrara, where the Richmond game will be played, will also be the home ground for the new Gold Coast team. Playing this game at Carrara will give our players additional experience on that ground before the Gold Coast team enters the competition.

Is Richmond the only club to play a game on the Gold Coast or play home games interstate?
No not at all. Next year most of the Victorian teams will be playing a home game interstate. Only Collingwood, Essendon and the Kangaroos will not do so.  Carlton and St Kilda have also agreed to play a game on the Gold Coast. Unlike some other clubs we will not be playing a home game interstate at the other team’s home ground. Carrara will be a neutral venue.

Will my Adult 11/17 game membership allow me entry into the Cold Coast Game?
Richmond has organised access to a replacement (away) game at the MCG for members in lieu of the Gold Coast game. Ticketed members will have access to that replacement game at the MCG but will not have access to the Gold Coast game. If you would like to attend the Gold Coast game you will need to buy a ticket to that game.

What if I am a country or interstate member and want to attend the Gold Coast game?
As part of your membership you are able to nominate 5 home games you would like to attend. You can choose to nominate the Gold Coast game. All you need to do is call our membership department on 1300 136 605.

http://www.afl.com.au/AFL2008/News/Article/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=69068

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Tigers join Gold Coast expansion (RFC)
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2008, 04:39:20 PM »
Tigers join Gold Coast expansion
4:02 PM Fri 17 October, 2008

“Additionally, with the game fixtured during school holidays we anticipate many Richmond fans will make the trip north to watch the inaugural Richmond game,” Wright said.

http://www.afl.com.au/AFL2008/News/Article/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=69069

Ohh freakin great - Do they factor in twice the price for everything from airfares too accomadation  :banghead Guess I better start saving .....

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2008, 09:38:06 PM »
That explains why the club jumped at the idea and not just for the extra cash. A way to get a 9th "home" game at the 'G and reduce our home games at the Dome. I've got a feeling the replacement game will be against the Hawks. We apparently will only play them once away at the 'G.

Only 4 other interstate trips is a pretty good deal as well.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »
Well I'm happy.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Your Richmond on the Gold Coast questions answered (RFC)
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
Will my Adult 11/17 game membership allow me entry into the Cold Coast Game?
Richmond has organised access to a replacement (away) game at the MCG for members in lieu of the Gold Coast game. Ticketed members will have access to that replacement game at the MCG but will not have access to the Gold Coast game. If you would like to attend the Gold Coast game you will need to buy a ticket to that game.

Hmmm  not overly happy about that - I hope the Club organises the tickets so we can purchase them directly form the Club rather than having to go through the hassle of dealing with ticket agencies

But I'll be there  :-\ ;D - the peanuts (aka the Cubs) are very happy that I am coming up to see them and yeah they're pretty stoked about the Tigers too  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Your Richmond on the Gold Coast questions answered (RFC)
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2008, 10:05:23 AM »

But I'll be there  :-\ ;D - the peanuts (aka the Cubs) are very happy that I am coming up to see them and yeah they're pretty stoked about the Tigers too  ;D

You callin' me a peanut WP?   :P