Author Topic: Troy Simmonds Agrees to new one year deal  (Read 9336 times)

Jackstar is back

Troy Simmonds Agrees to new one year deal
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:42:16 PM »
Troy agreed to a new one year deal today after declining offers from both St.Kilda and Brisbane which were both offering 2 year contracts.
Saints it seems will be delisting Steven King .
Just shows a few geniuses on here have little idea if the Saints and Brisbane were keen to offer him a 2 year deal.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Troy Simmonds Agrees to new one year deal
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »
Had to be done.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 06:01:33 PM »
Better to keep him than have him, Rodan, Brown and Tuck embarrass us at other clubs by playing like stars......... :whistle
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Jackstar is back

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:07:04 PM »
Whats of interest is the saints , 2 days after playing in a grand final were desperate to get him down there

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »
Source?

By that i mean if it's on another web-site Jack you need to quote that
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar is back

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 06:17:48 PM »
Source?

By that i mean if it's on another web-site Jack you need to quote that

No website, person to person source.
Something about horses mouth

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »
Whats of interest is the saints , 2 days after playing in a grand final were desperate to get him down there

They have a ruck hole if they lose one of Gardiner or king and they are both 30, King played a pretty bad game in the GF.  I think everybody knows they will be trading for an experienced  ruckman this trade period.  We should trade him if we get a good pick.  St Kilda have a need, we are not in premiership mode and it'd be good for Troy, as he would have a crack at finals next year for sure.  Win win as long as they give up a good enough pick.  I also think he had such a poor year he is probably  past it.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Uhhh....we kinda need him

BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A RUCKMAN.!

Having said that,he was pathetic this year

Jackstar is back

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 11:32:46 PM »
Uhhh....we kinda need him

BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A RUCKMAN.!

Having said that,he was pathetic this year

Carried bad knee for whole year, not making excuses, you will see a fully fit Troy next year.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 01:26:37 AM »
Wouldn't the Saints look within their own list at McEvoy for an alternative ruckman to King going forward.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Jackstar is back

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 06:43:40 AM »
Wouldn't the Saints look within their own list at McEvoy for an alternative ruckman to King going forward.

I would of thought that as well, only telling you what I was told.
Keep in mind that Gardiner is buggered as well,injury wise, mighten go on ;)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 08:47:54 AM »
Better to keep him than have him, Rodan, Brown and Tuck embarrass us at other clubs by playing like stars......... :whistle

Rodan was a mistake but Brown and Tuck are not right for our list at its current stage of development. Brown is a 1 or 2 year player at best so would suit a team pushing for a flag as would Tuck whereas neither will be around when and if we make our charge so its better to get a pick for them and hopefully obtain a good young player that may be there when we need him.

Simmonds is a bandaid on our current ruck problems.

Stripes

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 09:08:43 AM »
Hey Stripes,
I can see the logic in terms of Simmonds and us keeping him for a year but that's not to say i like it!
He was pathetic this year- but he was not the Lone Ranger!
If what i am hearing about him and other clubs interested is correct, take the pick for him now while we can!
We have Gus, elevate Browne, let Vickory do the ruck work in our forward line (like Tipit) and draft a young ruckman and rookie another.
We are so far away anyway, why bother wasting another year with him?
Also going off the list of people maybe looking to be traded, the pick we could get for him could snar us a very good young player. IE Gamble or McKinley.
I know we must use the draft for young kids but with the extra draft picks we get for trading some of our own players/duds we should try to at least get 1 maybe 2 players from other clubs that cannot quite crack it at their club. A GREAT example of one this year would be Prismal.
Gamble is the one for us imo!
Thoughts?

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 09:24:43 AM »
Said all along we need him caus of our lack of Ruck options, but geez if we get a good pick off Brizzy or that 1 flag in 113 years mob would be crazy not to suss it right out.

Don't aints like McEvoy? Is he worth a shot? Him and their second round pick if they think it will get them a flag ?????

The couple of times I saw Simmo at VFL level he was terrible.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 09:30:55 AM »
Also going off the list of people maybe looking to be traded, the pick we could get for him could snar us a very good young player. IE Gamble or McKinley.
I know we must use the draft for young kids but with the extra draft picks we get for trading some of our own players/duds we should try to at least get 1 maybe 2 players from other clubs that cannot quite crack it at their club. A GREAT example of one this year would be Prismal.
Gamble is the one for us imo!
Thoughts?

Like Hislop or Thomson?

Although I do agree 100% with Gamble and maybe 90% with McKinley - either of these would be a good fit in our current position and certainly worth the risk that 'recycleds' always are.  Just as I think Hislop and Thomson were worth the risk.  No club is ever going to get all these 'gambles' (sorry, no pun intended) correct, probably not even half of them - so do we take the risk now or just go with draft kids?

And on the subject of Rodan (Stripe's post above) - I don't believe the club made a mistake in getting rid of him:
- He had an attitude problem at Richmond (by his own admission) and was never going to flourish there in the foreseeable future.
- He was always going to be a risk coming back from a knee reco, especially when his only real asset was his pace and ground agility.
- He is still only a fringe mid and rarely performs well over 4 quarters so the possibility then of us of replacing him with something better was quite good.
Talking of the 'gambles' above - he was one we got right.  Rodan prolonged and advanced his career and we got rid of a probable list clogger - win win.