Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 875718 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #1095 on: November 02, 2012, 02:10:52 AM »
Richmond Tigers look to improve Dustin Martin's attitude

Exclusive Jon Ralph
    November 01, 2012 11:00PM

RICHMOND continues to counsel star midfielder Dustin Martin about his erratic off-field behaviour, with the Tigers concerned his conduct has not improved since his Round 15 suspension.

The club has had early discussions with Martin about a new long-term deal, but the Tigers are known to have misgivings about their star player's life away from Punt Rd.

The Herald Sun understands Martin has been made aware how fraught his position at the club is given his current behaviour.

It is seen as a critical 12 months for him as a Richmond footballer, with the belief within Punt Rd that only when he commits to a professional attitude can the club reward him with a contract befitting his talent.

But head of football Craig Cameron denied it had got to the stage of postponing contract talks.

"We have had preliminary discussions with Dustin's management regarding his contract beyond this season and we will progress those in the near future," he said.

"As with all our players we put support structures in place and structure around them to get the best out of their football and life outside the club. Dustin is no different."

Martin, out of contract at the end of next year, has been counselled and confronted about a string of incidents in recent months and is still not heeding the club's warnings.

Richmond has been made aware of a worrying list of incidents and sightings that continue to trouble the football department and administration.

The Tigers are working exhaustively to support Martin and maximise his massive potential.

Richmond officials including coach Damien Hardwick have counselled Martin about his behaviour, but there is a feeling the penny still has not dropped.

After finishing third in the club's best-and-fairest in 2011, Martin was widely seen to have under-performed this season to finish equal 10th.

He was suspended for two weeks after mixing prescription drugs with alcohol and missing a recovery session the following morning.

His partner in the escapade Dan Connors was sacked by the Tigers after breaching his last warning. It is an open secret that there are concerns about the company Martin keeps.

He has this year moved out of president Gary March's home and is seen to be enjoying the freedom.

New development coach Mark Williams, seen as an employer of tough love at GWS, has the task of knocking the remaining rough on-field edges from first-round picks like Martin, Brandon Ellis and Reece Conca.

But he could also help maximise Martin's potential through extracting a more professional attitude.

The club is also encouraging him to find a passion outside football, with Martin at one stage set to work a day a week at the landscaping company owned by the father of former defender Will Thursfield.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers-look-to-improve-dustin-martins-attitude/story-e6frf9io-1226508669243

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1096 on: November 02, 2012, 02:50:33 AM »
Our club is developing balls.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1097 on: November 02, 2012, 04:38:03 AM »
I did hear a rumour he spent some time in Bali this off season with an ex-player who has a notorious reputation - which could mean nothing or you could simply join the dots.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ruanaidh

« Reply #1098 on: November 02, 2012, 06:25:45 AM »
Martin to gws next year for Dom Tyson and their first pick. Should have been done this year. I said several months ago (before his incident), that we should have taken the  Sydney offer in his draft year but was 'howled' down. He is a lazy footballer with a couple of tricks and no engine.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1099 on: November 02, 2012, 06:44:01 AM »
Well I mentioned after his suspension during the year that IMO he is a loose canon...it's a bit of a worry actually. I have been waiting to hear something about him in the press during the off season, an arrest, poor behaviour, fighting, something...

I am glad this is all I am hearing..at this point. :pray

Anyone that doesn't think this guy will be a star is kidding themselves, the only reason he is not at the level of Cotchin or Deledio is because he is easily lead astray, lazy and he won't apply himself at the level required...watch out when he does.. :o

If he is traded out or asked to be traded (which will be the case IMO) then it will be a huge loss to our club and a massive gain for another club.

I am just hoping that someone at the RFC can get him through this period, c'mon Williams, get him into line.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1100 on: November 02, 2012, 07:18:36 AM »

If he is traded out or asked to be traded (which will be the case IMO) then it will be a huge loss to our club and a massive gain for another club.

Are you suggesting he is going to ask to be traded?

Errr......  :nope Doesn't want to leave

He will be re-signed but for how long for is the only question

;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:37:55 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1101 on: November 02, 2012, 07:26:31 AM »

Are you suggesting he is going to ask to be traded?

Errr......  :nope Doesn't want to leave

He will re-signed but for how long for is the only question

;D

Not really suggesting it but.......it may be the only way he see's a way out if he keeps going down the path he is on...do you know what I mean?

Thats good then, I just hope it doesn't end up another Cousins/Eagles case..

Agree.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

dwaino

« Reply #1102 on: November 02, 2012, 07:32:28 AM »
No good on our list if he isn't playing good footy. Someone like a Dom Tyson and a top 10 pick (would prefer top 5 but that might be a but rich lol) and I wouldn't lose any sleep. Better get himself sorted out.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1103 on: November 02, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
The club should just continue to trade for players with flawless character that are in their prime like Aaron "the lockup" Edwards.
Alan Didak would be perfect. Just about ready to hit his straps I reckon with impeccable character and very sound judgement. 
Gram would be ideal also just to add a touch of stability to our youngsters. He truly has his head screwed on his shoulders.
And laslty let's not forget Fev, would do wonders for our forward line as he oozes team first mentality and he'd teach the youngsters so much about work ethic and good conduct.
C'mon Craig, continue your great work!  ;D
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1104 on: November 02, 2012, 08:24:14 AM »
apparently cried like a girl when he was suspended , yet the penny hasnt dropped? perhaps it never will?

Anyone that doesn't think this guy will be a star is kidding themselves, the only reason he is not at the level of Cotchin or Deledio is because he is easily lead astray, lazy and he won't apply himself at the level required...watch out when he does.. :o

He has the ability to be a star, but as as you rightly say, at the moment he easily led astray, lazy and wont apply himself. It's not so much when he does though, but if, and if he doesnt, he wont become that star.

he may be one of those blokes who needs to be arseholed from the club for the penny to drop. heres hoping thats not the case.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1105 on: November 02, 2012, 08:38:49 AM »
Martin for Tyson and WHE if he doesn't shape up.  ;D
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #1106 on: November 02, 2012, 09:45:23 AM »
We don't need a Laurence Angwin at our club. I hope he snaps out of it, otherwise he will be heading down the path of Young Laurence with party nights and park footy.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1107 on: November 02, 2012, 09:46:32 AM »
Martin for Tyson and WHE if he doesn't shape up.  ;D
Now we're talking  :clapping

Haha, seriously, the kid will be fine. The penny drops for all, sometimes it just takes a little longer  :thumbsup

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1108 on: November 02, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
He's achieved nothing in football yet. Shape up or ship out with your mate DC.

NDP.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1109 on: November 02, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »
apparently cried like a girl when he was suspended , yet the penny hasnt dropped? perhaps it never will?

He has the ability to be a star, but as as you rightly say, at the moment he easily led astray, lazy and wont apply himself. It's not so much when he does though, but if, and if he doesnt, he wont become that star.

he may be one of those blokes who needs to be arseholed from the club for the penny to drop. heres hoping thats not the case.

Mmm, dead right. Bloody hell I hope he pulls his head in!!

"Rucks: