Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 943282 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #4815 on: August 05, 2019, 12:45:30 AM »
Tiger champion Dustin Martin has a new secret weapon to help keep his cool as the pressure and temperature rises around him on the footy field.

The Richmond superstar is fronting his latest campaign for Bonds underwear and the new X-Temp range promises more than just comfort.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/dustin-martin-fronts-bonds-xtemp-campaign/news-story/6d288f43892f7f22766372ac42276285

Offline amc11

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4816 on: August 05, 2019, 08:25:42 PM »
Picked up coaches votes again this round.

Coaches Votes for round 20

9 Dustin Martin (RICH)
7 Shane Edwards (RICH)
7 Dion Prestia (RICH)
4 Bachar Houli (RICH)
2 Max Gawn (MELB)
1 Bayley Fritsch (MELB)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4817 on: August 06, 2019, 12:41:27 AM »
From @7AFL #TalkingFooty:

Has Dusty re-claimed his mantle as the best player in the game?

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1158319459859197953

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin Tattoos: Truth About His Neck, Hand & Body Tatts (New Idea)
« Reply #4818 on: August 14, 2019, 06:39:58 PM »
Dustin Martin Tattoos: Truth About His Neck, Hand & Body Tatts

The Meaning Behind Footy Player Dustin Marty’s Tattoos

by Rhys McKay
New Idea
14 Aug 2019

Aussie rules football player Dustin Martin is as popular among fans for his tattoos as he is for his game. While the 2017 Brownlow Medalist has proven to be a formidable footy player, he’s also shown that he’s got an impeccable taste when it comes to tattoos.

Here, we take a deep dive into the AFL bad boy’s ink, from the meaning behind his Maori neck tattoos to his personal favourites.

Who Is Dustin Martin?

Dustin Martin is a professional Aussie rules football player. He was born on June 26, 1991, in Castlemaine, Victoria, and grew up playing footy there. His father, Shane Martin, is an ex bikie of Maori descent.

Dustin was drafted by the Richmond Tigers in 2010, but he had nominal success in his early years. As if to go perfectly with his bad boy look, Dustin hasn’t always been a clean-cut player and experienced several controversies throughout his career – one of the first being a controversial jailhouse salute he performed after scoring a goal. In 2015, he hit a major rough patch when drunkenly threatened to stab a woman with chopsticks. He was faced with a $AUD$5,000 fine.

Success As A Footy Player

Despite these scandals, Dustin’s stats improved over the years. When it comes to his playing style, he’s known for his signature “don’t argue” move, which has made him virtually untackle-able. It’s a move so well-loved by his fans that you can even find signed memorabilia featuring the words.

In 2017, his excellent performance on the pitch earned him a Brownlow Medal – considered the most prestigious award you can earn as an AFL player. Though he admitted that he went through mental health battles following his best season, he seems to be on the rise once more. According to GQ, “he’s since taken to 2019 in fighting form. Many, in fact, are heralding that 2019 is Martin’s time – he looks to be in career-best shape”.

Only time can tell if Dusty ends up becoming the number one player in the AFL!

In April 2019 though, he came under fire again for making an “offensive gesture” towards GWS’ Shane Mumford at a match. Essentially, Dustin flipped Shane off during an intense moment at a game, then put his finger to his nose as if he was snorting cocaine – a reference to Shane’s drug scandal the year prior. Dustin was fined by the AFL for the gesture.

Though he made an apology on Twitter, it didn’t sit well with everyone. News AU reported that Mark Robinson of AFL 360 called it “wishy-washy” and a “joke”. “If you’re going to apologise, Dusty, apologise after the game”, Robinson said.

Dustin Martin’s Tattoos

According to a 2017 report by West Australia, if you were to combine the cost of all of Dustin’s current ink, it’d sum up to about $AUD15,000! He’s got tattoos covering most of the skin on his arms and legs, with images of roses, skulls, clowns, dice, and wads of cash. He’s also got a few job stoppers on his neck and hands!

His First Tattoo

In an interview by Pedestrian, Dustin revealed that his first tatt was a stomach tattoo he got at the young age of 16.

His Maori Neck Tatts

His second tattoo, and arguably his most iconic one is his neck tattoo. On the right side of his neck, Dustin’s got the words “Ngati Maru”, which is the name of a Maori tribe in New Zealand, in honour of his father’s lineage. On the left side, he has the words “Matai Whetu”, which, according to the Sunday Times, “refers to a meeting place” for the Maori tribe.

Skulls, Skulls, And More Skulls

Dustin seems to have a thing for skull tatts. He’s got two massive skulls on his upper left arm, and one more on the inside of his forearm. He’s also got a smaller one round his left ankle.

Dusty’s also got two hand tattoos featuring skulls, along with stacks of cash behind each one.

His Favourite Tatts

Dustin recently became the face of men’s underwear brand, Bonds. While shooting for his Bonds ad, he revealed a few personal truths, like his pre-game ritual, his recipe to cook honey-mustard chicken, and how his favourite tattoos are his “Live Life” knuckle tatts. In the interview, he said, “It’s all about enjoying yourself and a reminder not to take yourself too seriously”.

“Live Free. Die Free”

If you’ve seen Dusty’s Bonds ad (maybe from Dustin’s own Instagram account) you’d have noticed the large words inked across his lower torso. But what does Dustin Martin’s tattoo say? The huge text actually reads “Live Free. Die Free” – a saying he and his father coined together. His supportive dad also has the phrase tattooed on his body.

Is He Used To The Pain Yet?

Surely someone who’s covered head to toe in tattoos is used to the pain, right? Well, as it turns out, Dusty is not very good at dealing with the pain. In an interview with Pedestrian, Dustin revealed that he can only take as much as two-hour tattoo sessions. “I’m a bit of a chicken. I swear every tattoo that I get lately, the pain just gets worse and worse”, he says.

It’s All In The Family

As previously mentioned, Dustin and his father share the same “Live Free. Die Free” tattoo. But did you know that his dad also has the iconic neck tatts? It only makes sense, as the two phrases are in fact meant to pay homage to the New Zealand tribes from which his ancestors hail.

But it isn’t just Dusty’s dad who’s inked. Get this: Dustin’s Nana got inked herself at the age of 70! After her grandson’s team won the grand finals for the first time in almost 40 years, Nana chose to commemorate the moment with some body art.

Conclusion

Though some folks still consider excessive tattoos as a mark of unruly and unprofessional individuals, people like Dustin Martin prove that you can be inked and still be tremendously good at what you do.

https://www.newidea.com.au/dustin-martin-tattoos-truth-about-his-neck-hand-body-tatts

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What made fashion king Dusty want kids? (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #4819 on: August 17, 2019, 06:47:46 PM »
What made fashion king Dusty want kids?

Fiona Byrne
Sunday Herald Sun
18 Aug 2019

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin has spoken of his desire to start a family.

Martin has told of his joy at playing “Uncle Dusty” to his friends’ kids, including Tiger teammate Trent Cotchin.

And having kids of his own is part of his of future plans.

“Definitely it is,” Martin, 28, said.

“I still have a lot of things I want to do. It is something I certainly want to have down the track, but at the moment I love seeing my mate’s kids grow up and that gives me great joy.

“A lot of my close friends have got young kids and I love them as if they are my own.

“I think most people would love to have a family, but I am still a fair way off that, to be honest.

Martin, who is launching his first fashion collection with Bonds, said he has also become comfortable knowing he’s a role model for young fans.

“I just think back to when I was a young kid and the people I looked up to, so if I can be a good role model to the kids who look up to me, that is important,” he said.

“The thing I like to get across is to have dreams and to chase your dreams and not to let anything get in the way of them, because anything is possible.

“You want them to have a crack at anything they love; it doesn’t have to be football. “Whatever your passions are I would certainly encourage people to follow them.”

Having long had an interest in fashion, Martin said he was excited to be launching his six-piece Bonds X DM capsule collection which includes his signature DM Hoodie.

“I have always been into fashion and it has been fun working with the design team to come up with this range,” he said.

“It is inspired by streetwear and is very comfortable and reflects my style in that it is very laid back. “It is oversized and comfortable and looks good.

“I have certainly enjoyed this experience and I hope everyone likes it. It is a good start and hopefully we can keep it rolling.”

With Richmond again shaping up as serious finals contenders, Martin said he was yet to lock in his annual post-season travel plans with his larrikin mate, Dane Swan.

“We have not quite planned it yet but there is no doubt we will be sneaking off somewhere to have a bit of fun,” he said.

A return to the training track with the Bali Geckos is very much an off-season possibility.

“I had a great time over there with them during the New Year in the period,” he said.

“If I am over there anytime over the summer I will definitely pop in and have a training session with them. They are a great bunch of people.”

And while he is ineligible for the Brownlow this year owing to an early season suspension, he is tipping a past winner to collect the AFL’s top individual prize this year.

“It is going to be a really exciting count. There are heaps of guys who have had awesome seasons but for my tip, I reckon Nat Fyfe might win this year,” he said.

WHERE TO SEE DUSTY

The Bonds X DM collection is available online and in selected stores on Monday, August 19, 2019.

Dustin Martin will be in-store at Bonds Melbourne Central at 1pm and Bonds Highpoint at 4pm on Wednesday, August 21, 2019.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/dustin-martin-speaks-on-family-being-a-role-model-ahead-of-bonds-launch/news-story/6c1c8866022baf00844f42a3bbd28c8e

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4820 on: August 17, 2019, 07:43:25 PM »
Good luck with the family Dusty

May the Y chromosome be with you.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4821 on: August 17, 2019, 11:22:19 PM »
This guy should get as many ladies pregnant as possible. Like dozens...

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #4822 on: August 17, 2019, 11:33:54 PM »
Yes but not all at the same time......won't have enough points...:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline amc11

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #4823 on: August 18, 2019, 12:36:31 AM »
https://www.booktopia.com.au/dustin-martin-dustin-martin/prod9781743795804.html

New clothing range with Bonds and a book due for release in October this year.

Dustin Martin has come a long way from the general media consensus early in 2017 about not being marketable and not capable of earning an income outside of his football.   Martin is continuing to mature both on and off field and I really like this part from the herald sun article.

Martin, who is launching his first fashion collection with Bonds, said he has also become comfortable knowing he’s a role model for young fans.
“I just think back to when I was a young kid and the people I looked up to, so if I can be a good role model to the kids who look up to me, that is important,” he said.
“The thing I like to get across is to have dreams and to chase your dreams and not to let anything get in the way of them, because anything is possible.
“You want them to have a crack at anything they love; it doesn’t have to be football. “Whatever your passions are I would certainly encourage people to follow them.”
   :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4824 on: August 18, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
Scary 2017 form today. He's been getting back to near it since the bye. Today he cracked it. Best game for the season from Dusty even by his lofty standards.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4825 on: August 18, 2019, 04:18:38 PM »
Back to his bullocking best. Ripped them a new one.

Yeo, best player in the league... please. Got shown how today.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4826 on: August 18, 2019, 04:32:32 PM »
Have we addressed the ridiculous criticism of dusty from earlier in the season like we did with Lynch?

Honestly go back and have a look at some of the posts - embarrassing.

Absolute champion!

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4827 on: August 18, 2019, 04:39:22 PM »
THE BULL IS BACK!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4828 on: August 18, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »
Incredible
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4829 on: August 18, 2019, 05:48:41 PM »
He just been playing possum
Lots of people name their swords......