Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 942948 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6765 on: May 30, 2024, 07:23:02 AM »
Dunno if I agree or disagree
Do the contracts signed by the players include anything in regards to media ??

Not contracts directly Damo

But the current CBA that covers all players has a clause in it that says that all players must be available to the media. It was a request of the broadcasters in particular under the broadcast deal. As the CBA is directly linked to the TV rights deal (% percentage of it goes to the players) the AFLPA agreed

Failure of players to do make themselves available could result in fines
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6766 on: May 30, 2024, 08:21:46 AM »
I hope the RFC pay his fines. They absolutely must in this case.

We owe them nothing and hey have shown us nothing over the years.

stuff them
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6767 on: May 30, 2024, 10:05:19 AM »

But the current CBA that covers all players has a clause in it that says that all players must be available to the media. It was a request of the broadcasters in particular under the broadcast deal. As the CBA is directly linked to the TV rights deal (% percentage of it goes to the players) the AFLPA agreed

Cheers WP
That makes sense

No broadcaster millions, and the players would get paid peanuts

So of course the players association would agree

I personally think he should do a quick interview .. he’s done them after games on the ground plenty of times

Surely he can play a straight bat and if they ask something stupid, just Marshawn Lynch them

By not talking, he’s actually bringing more attention on that fact, than if he just did it

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6768 on: May 30, 2024, 03:05:09 PM »
IMHO

The only interview leading up to his 300th Dusty needs to do is with the RFC media department for the RFC website.

That's it

Agree 1000%.

The other journos can write what they want from this footage. Unsure there is a clause that says everyone media outlet has the right to a one on one live chat with him.

Thought the article by Jonathan Horn was excellent too.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #6769 on: May 30, 2024, 03:07:15 PM »

This is fairly grey though isn't it?

Whats available. Can anyone with a media pass claim to have access to players? When does this start at end? Can media go to players house, knock on the door and claim EBA? Can media go into changerooms? Can media target the same player every day at the workplace without consequence?

Its too grey to me. Do it your way Dusty, your availability is what you make it.
Go Tigers!

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6770 on: May 30, 2024, 05:09:33 PM »

I'm certain these fines could be contested in court. If it not in the players contract, then it's not!
All we need is one player to start the precedent process

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6771 on: May 30, 2024, 05:44:03 PM »

Whats available. Can anyone with a media pass claim to have access to players? When does this start at end? Can media go to players house, knock on the door and claim EBA? Can media go into changerooms? Can media target the same player every day at the workplace without consequence?

Its too grey to me. Do it your way Dusty, your availability is what you make it.

I think you've gone a tad bit over the top IMHO

Here's the link to the thread on OER about it
https://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=33047.msg758843#msg758843

I don't think it is grey at all

Media already have access to the changerooms after games, nothing new there.

No; the media cannot go to their homes, everything happens at the Clubs

Like they do now they put in a request to the Club. The only difference now all the players are to be available

When it is all said and done Dusty will indeed do it his way

Club gets fined I don't think they'll be too bothered
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6772 on: May 30, 2024, 05:50:54 PM »
The media and the AFL should realise that Dusty is an ornament to the game. Not a commodity.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6773 on: May 30, 2024, 06:28:18 PM »
Like the fact he is doing an interview with the club only. The media and the AFL have not been particularly good to him. He has brought an enormous amount to this game and has the right to privacy and to dictate who he speaks to.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6774 on: May 30, 2024, 06:43:58 PM »

I think you've gone a tad bit over the top IMHO

Here's the link to the thread on OER about it
https://oneeyed-richmond.com/forum/index.php?topic=33047.msg758843#msg758843

I don't think it is grey at all

Media already have access to the changerooms after games, nothing new there.

No; the media cannot go to their homes, everything happens at the Clubs

Like they do now they put in a request to the Club. The only difference now all the players are to be available

When it is all said and done Dusty will indeed do it his way

Club gets fined I don't think they'll be too bothered

Without seeing the clause itself it is hard to tell whether there are any restrictions on the media. Unfettered access is deeply problematic
« Last Edit: June 01, 2024, 12:11:05 PM by eliminator »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6775 on: May 31, 2024, 09:23:41 PM »
From Damian Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ...
Dusty hasn’t spoken publicly while accumulating 298 AFL matches ...

THEN ...
I’d be staggered if he bothered to do so just because he’s about to hit 300. And I couldn’t care less, because he’d be only giving it lip service, going through the motions, if required to do so. He hates media. That’s OK, and it’s created a mystique for him. Same with Buddy. But it also proves the AFL’s media policy is a joke. Other sports bodies around the world wouldn’t tolerate it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1140504/sliding-doors-if-plenty-are-writing-the-lions-off-after-round-11-then

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6776 on: May 31, 2024, 09:32:32 PM »

IF ...

THEN ...
I’d be staggered if he bothered to do so just because he’s about to hit 300. And I couldn’t care less, because he’d be only giving it lip service, going through the motions, if required to do so. He hates media. That’s OK, and it’s created a mystique for him. Same with Buddy. But it also proves the AFL’s media policy is a joke. Other sports bodies around the world wouldn’t tolerate it.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1140504/sliding-doors-if-plenty-are-writing-the-lions-off-after-round-11-then

have a sook ya flog.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6777 on: May 31, 2024, 11:10:04 PM »
A  symptom of the entitlement of some who believe others don’t have the right to some sort of basic privacy because they happen to be good at football. It sums up the AFL  and their belief a person in their system can not voice a critical opinion and owned by them as the push their political ideas and if it wasn’t for the game most of us wouldn’t be listening to what they want us to hear, even if we do agree  with most of it.
It’s not that far away from how the run things in Russia.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6778 on: June 01, 2024, 01:15:45 AM »

IF ...

THEN ...

have a sook ya flog.

FFS
How is he sooking

He said he couldn’t care less and also said it’s OK

Couldn’t agree with him more

Well said BinRat

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6779 on: June 01, 2024, 06:13:36 AM »

IF ...

THEN ...

have a sook ya flog.

FFS
How is he sooking

He said he couldn’t care less and also said it’s OK

Couldn’t agree with him more

Well said BinRat
“But it also proves the AFL’s media policy is a joke. Other sports bodies around the world wouldn’t tolerate it.” -  this sounds like sooking and is a contradiction that he couldn’t care.