Author Topic: Schulz to Port  (Read 54507 times)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Schulz to Port
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2009, 11:14:57 AM »
Yeah, really feeding ourselves the same medicine by getting rid of a list clogger that was threatening to make it 7 years of clogging.  :banghead :banghead

Yeah we've done no other research popelord, I'm sure Brendon Lade knows nothing about him for a start.  ::) ::)

I for one, applaud this trade.  Schulz is no good, and Farmer is an unknown quantity but has far more chance of coming right than Schulz.  It's a win for us.

Seems a bit rushed TA. W haven't sort after Farmer he's been given to us for wanting to offload Schultz. We offload a player for an offloaded player. You don't get many of these right.

As for research I forgot about Lade's knowledge but I reckon the fact Williams doesn't want him speaks louder than Lade thinking he goes ok.

The chances are higher I suppose but if we recieved a pick instead at least we have control on who we get instead of accepting Mitch Farmer, which is what it seems like.

How do you know we didn't seek Farmer?  I've been led to believe we and Hawthorn showed interest Farmer who wants to return to Victoria.  Have you heard differently???

Mark Williams also wanted Danny Meyer.  What a masterstroke.  :shh

I reckon Farmer is a better punt than a 5th (72) or 6th (88) round pick, maybe 4th round if you got real lucky, which is all a sane recruiter would offer, not pick 40.  And by trading for him we do have control of the player we request and agree on.  We aren't being held to ransom here.

An average 20 year old SANFL player for an average 24 year old VFL player.  Sounds like they hold the same trade currency to me, or if anything, we win.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
heres  a report on Mitch from the Port site written by Tredrea and another

Hardly injury prone ,missed 3 games and they may have been byes

reminds me of Andy Collins progress

Rd 1 -Mitch Farmer (for Sturt reserves v Glenelg reserves @ the Bay) – Mitch played half back and wing and had 17 possessions in a solid game. He had a good influence whenever he was around the ball – going very hard at the contest – but we’d just like him to make a few more contests.

Rd 2-Mitch Farmer (for Sturt reserves v Norwood reserves @ Unley) – Didn’t have a big influence in the first half but worked his way into the game in the second half when he started to win his own ball and link up well through the midfield. If he plays four quarters like that he’ll be pushing for league selection, which is where he’s capable of playing.

Rd 3 -Mitch Farmer (for Sturt reserves v West reserves @ Unley) – Mitch played a bit on the back flank and also on ball. It was a clear improvement on last week and he’s now improving each week. He started to win a bit more of his own ball and also used the ball efficiently. If he can play four quarters of that football, he’ll be pushing for a league spot. Finished with 12 kicks, 6 marks and 5 handballs.

Rd 5- Mitch Farmer (for Sturt reserves v North reserves @ Unley) – Mitch handled the ball very well in some shocking conditions. Had limited opportunities to impact the game from the half back line, but did his best to rebound from defence finishing with 13 possessions and 3 tackles.

Rd 6- Mitch Farmer (for Sturt reserves v Port reserves @ Alberton) – Mitch’s best game for the year and it really started to look like the Farmer that we saw last year. Played in the middle and up forward, he ran hard, chased hard and looked lively. He finished with 14 kicks, 7 marks, 5 handballs and 2 goals. That’s the standard we expect of him and we’ve done a bit of extra work with him in showing him how he played last year and the things he needed to change to turn his form around. It’s pleasing to see him implement those things and if he can keep up that sort of form he’ll be back in the league side sooner rather than later.

Rd 7-Mitch Farmer (for Sturt reserves v Eagles reserves @ Woodville) – A 17 touch game from Mitch, and although he started slowly, he worked his way into the game and played some tough footy with some good, hard tackling. He played on the ball and at half back and had a good impact at the stoppages. Will be looking for league selection soon.

Rd8-Mitch Farmer (for Sturt reserves v South reserves @ Unley) – Another good game from Mitch this week, playing a bit more up forward and finishing with 3 goals to go with 16 touches and 5 marks. He was intense at the contest and if he can play another few weeks like that, he’ll be up playing league, which is where we think he should be playing considering his talent.

Rd 9- Mitch Farmer (for Sturt reserves v Norwood reserves @ the Parade) – Mitch’s best game for the year by a fair way. He played in the midfield and across the half forward flank, collecting 14 kicks, 6 handballs and taking 12 marks, to go with a very impressive 4.1. We were really impressed with his work ethic and if he can perform like that for a couple of weeks in a row, he’ll be up playing league.

Rd 10 - Mitch Farmer (for Sturt reserves v Central reserves @ Unley) – A reasonable game from Mitch with 16 disposals and a couple of goals playing on the ball and down back. He used his penetrating kick nicely and won a bit of his own ball with some hard ball gets.

Rd 12 - Mitch Farmer (for South reserves v Eagles reserves @ Noarlunga) – Mitch moved from Sturt to South to give himself a better opportunity to play league football and develop as a player. He played his first game for the Panthers on the weekend and impressed with 18 kicks, 6 handballs, 9 marks and 1.3 playing in the midfield and half forward. He showed some good intensity at the contest and could have topped his game off had he kicked a bit straighter.

Rd 13 Mitch Farmer (for South v Central @ Noarlunga) – Mitch played his first league game for his new club, playing half forward and on the ball. His pressure all over the ground was good, chasing hard and applying 8 tackles. He’s still learning the structures of his new team but he regularly got to the right spots. He wasn’t always used but it was good to see he kept presenting. Finished with 1.1 and he’ll be looking to have a real impact for South for the remainder of the season.

Rd 14 - Mitch Farmer (for South v Glenelg @ the Bay) – Played half back and in the midfield and had an impact straight away when he came on. He tackled and chased hard but he needs to work on his endurance and also winning more of his own ball. Finished with 6 kicks, 5 handballs and an impressive 8 tackles.

Rd 15 Mitch Farmer (for South v Port @ Alberton) – A good game for Mitch after a slow start. He had 21 possessions, 5 tackles and a goal playing half back and a bit in the middle. He had some good in and under clearance work and looked very controlled down back for the Panthers.

Rd 16 Mitch Farmer (for South v Sturt @ Noarlunga) – Probably Mitch’s best game for the year. He played down back and attacked the footy and the man hard, showing some good speed, something we haven’t really seen since lasty year. He beat his man all day, played some desperate footy – smothering and tackling – and was back closer to the level we expect of Mitch. Finished with 10 kicks, 4 marks, 4 handballs and a goal.

Rd 17 Mitch Farmer (for South v Norwood @ the Parade) – Mitch played on ex-Sydney player Simon Phillips and held him to just one goal. He worked hard on him and probably won his position in the end. He’s starting to get back to the level he was at towards the end of 2008.

Rd 18 Mitch Farmer (for South v West @ Richmond) – Mitch worked hard in a side that was getting beaten pretty convincingly, with some good spoils in the backline. He provided some good run at times before moving to full back in the second half on a bigger opponent and did a good job. Finished with 12 possessions and 7 tackles

Rd 20 Cibo Glenelg SANFL Player of the Week
Mitch Farmer (for South v Eagles @ Thebarton) – An impressive game from Mitch, showing some of the speed we saw from him last year, rebounding from defence. He had 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 2 marks and 5 tackles. He worked up the ground to go inside 50 and give his teammates some scoring opportunities. He’s starting to find a nice mixture of defence and attack in his game and he’s slowly improving each week since moving to South.

Rd 21 Mitch Farmer (for South v Central @ Elizabeth) – Another good effort from Mitch, who has steadily improved since making the switch to South. Starting to win a bit more of the ball at the stoppages and providing some good rebound from defence. He finished with 20 possessions and 4 tackles.

Rd 22 Mitch Farmer (for South v Port @ Noarlunga) – Mitch was again good playing half back and on the ball. He had 8 kicks, 5 marks, 10 handballs and a goal. He linked well moving out of defence and used the ball well. He pushed forward late in the game to kick a goal that helped the Panthers get across the line.

Rd 23Mitch Farmer (for South v North @ Prospect) – Mitch played half back and on the ball, showing some real drive at the ball, but not consistently enough. He needs to get more of the ball to have a greater impact. He used the ball well with 7 kicks and 6 handballs.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
It has nothing to do with Farmer not being wanted, he has been offered a new contract and has turned it down, he wants to come home.

He's a well skilled back pocket, we need one of those, he was also a leader at junior level, we could do with more of that too

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
Yeah, really feeding ourselves the same medicine by getting rid of a list clogger that was threatening to make it 7 years of clogging.  :banghead :banghead

Yeah we've done no other research popelord, I'm sure Brendon Lade knows nothing about him for a start.  ::) ::)

I for one, applaud this trade.  Schulz is no good, and Farmer is an unknown quantity but has far more chance of coming right than Schulz.  It's a win for us.

Seems a bit rushed TA. W haven't sort after Farmer he's been given to us for wanting to offload Schultz. We offload a player for an offloaded player. You don't get many of these right.

As for research I forgot about Lade's knowledge but I reckon the fact Williams doesn't want him speaks louder than Lade thinking he goes ok.

The chances are higher I suppose but if we recieved a pick instead at least we have control on who we get instead of accepting Mitch Farmer, which is what it seems like.

How do you know we didn't seek Farmer?  I've been led to believe we and Hawthorn showed interest Farmer who wants to return to Victoria.  Have you heard differently???

I reckon Farmer is a better punt than a 5th (72) or 6th (88) round pick, maybe 4th round if you got real lucky, which is all a sane recruiter would offer, not pick 40.  And by trading for him we do have control of the player we request and agree on.  We aren't being held to ransom here.

An average 20 year old SANFL player for an average 24 year old VFL player.  Sounds like they hold the same trade currency to me, or if anything, we win.

TA i have no idea if we've researched him or not?  "Questions have to be asked? Has Richmond researched Farmer at all?" I'm asking if anyone else knows?

Danny Meyer was a rookie at pick 40 odd, it's a bit different when your trading a 24 yr old tall of 71 AFL games.

I'm certainly not overrating Schultz just think we are going round in circles swapping a player whose is a fringe player for another fringe player. I'd rather start again and see if we can find another Andy Collins or McGuane in the 50's and 60s.

72 and 88 are to high for Schultz, I'd just love to see us play a bit harder that's all.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2009, 11:29:26 AM »
It has nothing to do with Farmer not being wanted, he has been offered a new contract and has turned it down, he wants to come home.

He's a well skilled back pocket, we need one of those, he was also a leader at junior level, we could do with more of that too

Thanks Infamy that's good information to hear.

In terms of wanting to come home, that certainly makes things alot better.
Go Tigers!

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2009, 11:33:13 AM »

TA i have no idea if we've researched him or not?  "Questions have to be asked? Has Richmond researched Farmer at all?" I'm asking if anyone else knows?

Danny Meyer was a rookie at pick 40 odd, it's a bit different when your trading a 24 yr old tall of 71 AFL games.

I'm certainly not overrating Schultz just think we are going round in circles swapping a player whose is a fringe player for another fringe player. I'd rather start again and see if we can find another Andy Collins or McGuane in the 50's and 60s.

72 and 88 are to high for Schultz, I'd just love to see us play a bit harder that's all.

I don't think 72 and 88 are too high for Schulz, that's how bad I reckon he is.

So sorry, nup.  Schulz has played more games because we needed a big man and had blind hope.  He hasn't played many good games in those 71.

Considering our difference in opinion on Mitch Farmer and Jay Schulz's currency as players we'll keep going round in circles but this trade has brightened my day.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »
TA I don't rate Schultz at all, I had him delisted until I found out he was contracted.

Farmer > Schultz more than likely. I'm just heavily against picking up players clubs don't want. In any business you don't let decent assets go. And it just looked as if we're ripping off old sticky tape and putting new sticky tape down.

But the news that Farmer wants out anyway is music to my ears.

I'd take anything for Schultz, but until I heard that Farmer wanted to come home it seemed we were replacing a 24 year old Schultz with a 20 year old Schultz.
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2009, 11:37:34 AM »
I am happy for the trade as well.

While we need KPF's badly and I held out hope for Schulz as a player, the time has come to get rid of the cloggers.

Thank God for Port who like taking duds off our hands.  Can we send them Jordie as a thank you.  ;D

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2009, 11:44:41 AM »

I'd take anything for Schultz, but until I heard that Farmer wanted to come home it seemed we were replacing a 24 year old Schultz with a 20 year old Schultz.

Surely I didn't fail to mention that somewhere?   :banghead(at myself)

(Apparently)Port offered him a one year contract, he said no, and Hawthorn and Richmond showed interest.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2009, 11:47:50 AM »

Surely I didn't fail to mention that somewhere?   :banghead(at myself)

(Apparently)Port offered him a one year contract, he said no, and Hawthorn and Richmond showed interest.

Yeah that's great news, I wouldn't want to be at Port either. The addition Hawthorn showing interest is superb. It now obvious we're winning out of the deal with Farmer going and Port wanting something for him and taking Schultz off our hands, Thank you.
Go Tigers!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2009, 12:11:47 PM »

That does sound better but I am 'bitten' at the moment by recent trades so will be 'twice shy'  :-X. Until he performs on the big stage I will take this trade deal as a mistake and another missed chance. I think I'm getting jaded  :(

Stripes

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »

That does sound better but I am 'bitten' at the moment by recent trades so will be 'twice shy'  :-X. Until he performs on the big stage I will take this trade deal as a mistake and another missed chance. I think I'm getting jaded  :(

Stripes

But I don't understand when we aren't losing a draft pick and we aren't losing a decent player, how it could end up a mistake?

It's one of most low-risk trades you could make and if he is a bust, it barely matters because thats what we expected from Schulz anyway.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2009, 12:56:18 PM »

If Farmer comes on it will be a minor win for the Tigers but if Schulz steps up for Port it would be a masterstroke. We should get more out of the deal than just a straight Swap.

Totally agree with this. At the very least I'd want an upgraded later pick.
This straight swap business has Port laughing IMO.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2009, 02:25:11 PM »
This straight swap business has Port laughing IMO.

Port has Meyer, Rodan and now Schulz.  I know who should be laughing.

Port = Richmond Reject Shop

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2009, 02:41:17 PM »
Great now we will have 2 bumbble bees fumbling around in the backline giving away free kicks and turnovers, him and King!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"