Author Topic: Schulz to Port  (Read 54655 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Schulz to Port
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »

Farmer is a discard for Port, Schulz a discard for us. The difference is the potential upside of each player.

Farmer isn't a discard if he was offered a contract and he knocked it back because he wanted to come back to Victoria.  And the difference in potential upside of a 2 year, 20 year old versus a 7 year, 25 year old that has never been able to cement a place in a poor team is quite large I would have thought.

If Port was going to offer a 2nd round pick only last year and the only difference is the opportunities Schulz was awarded this year as opposed to last then wouldn't that suggest perhaps he is worth more to them than a 3 game player who has struggled to break into their side. Couple that with a player who is a KPP at either end of the ground compared to a small pocket player and I would suggest the upside is potentially greater for Port in the trade.

After 7 years at Richmond we have run out of patience for Schulz but given new opportunities and a new start he may yet become a good player for Port  :whistle

I'm hoping Farmer will become a star for us but looking purely at the trade and the players credentials as it stands at the moment - I would hope that we would get more than just a straight player swap out of the trade.

But please don't think I would be unhappy to get Farmer at Tigerland, in fact I think he could be a great find for the team. It's just that I think we should get more from the trade based on the players experience, potential upside and role importance.

Just me

Stripes

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »
We were offerred the 2nd round pick 2 years ago.

Online Dogga

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »
Could the reason that the deal hasn't been finalised be due to the fact that it isn't just a straight player swap and will involve swapping draft picks as well. I couldn't see why it would take so long to finalise a straight player swap considering it appears that both parties are happy with it.

I met Schulz a few times at the members cocktail parties over the years and all he could ever talk about was SA and his hometown. It always felt like he wasn't happy here.

I find it interesting that everyone keeps saying that Farmer is a back pocket, when most of the time he played as a half back flanker/midfielder in the SANFL. He also kicked a few goals as well (including 4 in one game).

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2009, 10:19:10 PM »
To be honest I am still in a state of shock that Port are going to take him.......Life is never that kind to Richmond supporters.

What a massive disappointment Schulz was this year.24 years of age.....7 years in the AFL system and could only contribute 4 games (3 goals).Blows the mind that he could not cement a spot in a "Richoless" forward line.

Compare him to Jack Riewoldt who was also dropped this year.Jack immediately looked a class above the VFL and demanded selection the following week.

Hard to believe he kicked 6 goals against the rampaging Lions as a 19 year old in just his 16th AFL game.If that seems like a long time ago -it was (Frawley was still coach).Since then his best efforts have been 3 bags of 3 goals.

Unleash the tornado

the claw

« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »
rhe real; question that  has to be asked is why was he given a two yr contract by cameron. make no mistake if port did not take him he was for the sceap heap next yr we just got rid of a contracted list clogger  who has had 7 yrs to show something anything. 7 yrs of what exactly did we get from this bloke one word mediocrity we should be jumping for joy even if the trade was for donald duck.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2009, 12:06:28 AM »
I think Port are waiting for the Burgoyne trade to go through to see what picks they end up with. That is far more important to them than a minor fringe trade such as Schulz for Farmer. Our best bet is the Hawks trade Williams to Essendon for a first round pick and then offload two picks to Port. Port may be more likely to throw in a swap of midrange picks with us if they have a bunch of early picks. I'd prefer if we could gain a late-ish pick or move up the draft with a swap of midrange picks but with Sarge we can hardly be choosey and it's lucky for us Port still want him two years later.

rhe real; question that  has to be asked is why was he given a two yr contract by cameron.
As well as King for 2 years :P.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2009, 04:09:30 AM »
Port is WAITING to announce the trade of luckless half-back Mitch Farmer for Richmond key forward Jay Schulz. "It is looking favourable," Rohde said of the pending deal with the Tigers.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26181006-12428,00.html

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #112 on: October 08, 2009, 02:13:09 PM »
I think the stumbling block is Shultz, I'm not to sure he wants to go to port. Might be hanging for the Gold Coast. Just a thought.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #113 on: October 08, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
I think the stumbling block is Shultz, I'm not to sure he wants to go to port. Might be hanging for the Gold Coast. Just a thought.

I thought he'd want to go back home?

If not, give em Cleve or McLovin.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #114 on: October 08, 2009, 02:43:37 PM »
Give 'em the lot - buy one, get 2 free!

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »
Richmond has traded tall utility Jay Schulz to Port Adelaide in exchange for small rebounding defender Mitch Farmer.

The details of the trade will be finalised on Friday, the last day of the 2009 AFL Exchange Period. Schulz, originally from SA club Woodville/West Torrens, played 71 games and kicked 58 goals for the Tigers in seven seasons of AFL football after being selected by the Club at pick No. 12 overall in the 2002 National Draft.

The 24-year-old managed just four senior games in the ’09 season.

Farmer was taken by Port Adelaide at pick No. 49 overall in the 2007 National Draft.

The 20-year-old, originally from Craigieburn Football Club, captained the Calder Cannons in their 2007 TAC Cup grand final victory, represented Vic Metro in the AFL under-18 Championships the same year, and was named in the back pocket in the ’07 TAC Cup Team of the Year.

He made a promising debut late in the 2008 season for the Power, playing three games (Rounds 18-20), but did not manage a senior AFL appearance in ’09, spending the year in the SANFL, initially with Sturt, before transferring to South Adelaide, where he caught the eye of the Tiger talent scouts with a series of impressive performances.

The 2009 AFL media guide described the 180cm, 82kg Farmer as a “tough and feisty half-back in the Michael Wilson mould”. He also is renowned for his kicking skills, pace and football ‘smarts’.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/85861/default.aspx
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Harro80

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #116 on: October 08, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2009, 08:02:35 PM »
Seems it's not just a direct swap of Farmer for Schulz. SEN saying there's more involved to it linked to the Burgoyne trade.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »
Seems it's not just a direct swap of Farmer for Schulz. SEN saying there's more involved to it linked to the Burgoyne trade.

Maybe that's where Tucky fits in?

I am sure his (Tuck) wife is from Adelaide

Tucky to Port for pick 24 and then we on trade that to the bombers for their 2nd round pick (26 wasn't it)

Or have the bombers traded pick 26 already  :P
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2009, 08:18:35 PM »

Maybe that's where Tucky fits in?

I am sure his (Tuck) wife is from Adelaide

Tucky to Port for pick 24 and then we on trade that to the bombers for their 2nd round pick (26 wasn't it)

Or have the bombers traded pick 26 already  :P
LOL I've lost track as well with so many trades this week. Yeah I think the Bombers still have pick 26. They apparently will also receive pick 24 from Port. Hawks have pick 25. We'd prefer pick 24 obviously. Is Tucky going back to Hawthorn to join his brother or to the Bombers to help out Watson inside at the stoppages?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd