Author Topic: Face Off - Spud v Wallace  (Read 12200 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Face Off - Spud v Wallace
« on: October 12, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »
During the slow off-season I thought it might be entertaining to run a few 'Face Offs' between key Tiger people. To begin the topic I thought our last two coaches might be an interesting place to start..... :o

So who was the better coach Spud or Wallace?

Stripes

Tigermonk

Re: Face Off - Spud v Wallace
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
SPUD

for the experience he had compared to Leatherskin poo talker, the Spud by miles when it came to coaching
done a few things some didnot like but you cant please everyone including me
had more respect from the playing group & was liked by the supporters much more than the spin doctor
the supporters might have spat at him but l sure would have peeed on Wallace if l had a chance cause he was there for the money only.
Frawley was there trying to do his best & got us to finals with what he had.
Wallace talked it up for 2 years in the media saying what Richmond needed to do this & that & couldnot do any of it himself

Danny Frawley over Wallace anyday as a person & coach
l have never hated a coach so much as Terry look at me Wallet

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »
When Spud left the team was a complete and utter wasteland. The future was bleak.

When Wallace left at least there is some semblence of abilty in Lids Cotchin Post Vickery etc. The future is better

Tigermonk

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »
When Spud left the team was a complete and utter wasteland. The future was bleak.

When Wallace left at least there is some semblence of abilty in Lids Cotchin Post Vickery etc. The future is better

Spud didnot do the recruiting so cant blame him for the list or the staff he never had
Wallet knew what was missing & never corrected the faults cause he had no idea what he was doing
as for the list well hello but Lids, Cotchin, Post Vickery have done nothing & aint dominated any games

Ox

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 04:09:03 PM »
not surprising a shitman would like another......

Frawley is and was a total imbecile,trying to apply analogies from his mind to real life.

Frawley took up the coaching reigns at the Richmond Football Club in 2000, and had some early success, taking the Tigers to the finals in 2001 on the strength of the existing squad.

Unfortunately he couldn't replicate the club's first finals appearance since 1995 again during his tenure, with his team always getting off to solid starts, but then fading out towards the end of the season.

This continued in 2003, where, after a 6-2 start to the season, they lost 13 of their next 14 matches.

He has been accused of decimating the careers of champions and incapacitating those of young up and comers, with his tactically primitive game-plan and inability to gain the teams respect,ulitmately.

Frawley took his team to the wooden spoon in 2004, and midway through the season was publicly fired and quoted as saying, "I'm gutted...I thought I'd be here for another 10 years."

He later announced he would be stepping down at season's end in an attempt to maintain any credibility.

Most entertaining were his humorous,stuttering responses at press conferences,more often than not after a loss.

"Yeah...we definitley can't make the finals...but we sure can shape them."

Prior to this,Frawley was assistant coach at Collingwood where he once again delivered the wooden spoon to his employer

Since his departure from coaching he has utilised his,"expertise" as special comments man for Australian radio network,Triple M.

His co-hosts will often refer to him as "Spud Regal" and celebrate his presence as the programs unknowing comic relief.

Recently the programs anchor man,James Brayshaw,publicly berated Frawley for talking ill of his former club, Richmond, when Danny claimed he laughed at the level of skill on display as he drove past the clubs training ground.

He was taken to task over this by many a Richmond fan via Triple M`s routine talkback show post match on Saturday afternoons but refused to enagage callers saying "I don`t take any responsibilty ... build a bridge"

Additional Career Highlights

In 2006,Frawley was hired by Netball Australia as a motivational speaker prior to a gruelling tournament.

Spectators and athletes alike were left agog when Danny attempted to use the Australian coat of arms as a motivational tool,explaining it to be representative of two creatures that, "wont take a backward step...because they can't."

It was left to the individuals creative imagination to decipher exactly what the real message was,if there ever was one.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »
Wallace was definitely a better match day coach, Frawley only ever had a Plan A and nothing else to fall back on
You'd say Frawley was a better bloke, however I'll still never forgive him for admitting to wearing StKilda socks to an official Richmond function.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »
both.

:)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 05:09:47 PM »
Looking at their records, Spud has a Prelim final.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 05:25:29 PM »
Both terrible coaches in every sense- list management, game day, tactis, the lot.
Both left the list in a shambles.
Both i would run down in a car if i had the chance.
Both broke my heart.
One got us to the finals.
Spud by a nose.
Never thought i would say that five years ago.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 05:51:57 PM »

Agreed!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 06:16:42 PM »
Frawley had the luxury of inheriting a much more competitive unit.

Look at the names Spud had at his disposal

Richo,Benny Gale,Knights,Broderick,Daffy,Bowden,Campbell,Leon Cameron,Gasper,both Kellaways,Matt Rogers,Torney and a young superstar in Ottens.

In many ways I believe that Spud happened to be in the right place at right time.Any coach worth his salt should of taken that list to the finals.

Who could forget Dannys dermoralising final year when Richmond went from being 4-4 to finish the season with 14 losses on the trot.
Unleash the tornado

Jackstar is back

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »
Easy answer, as I worked under both.
Spud by the length of Flemington straight.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »
Both terrible coaches.

Spud had early success and took us to finals albeit tokenly but he did not have the acumen to do much more. Was way in over his head by 2002 with his quick fixes and him not having the gonads to get rid of those undermining him and getting them to tow his line. By his last season once the spitter was named and shamed and it was evident that Danny was not going to coach us in 2005 the media and the public just felt sorry for Danny and conveniently forgot he still had a job to do and coach our club which he did badly. In the end he moved on to the media where he is still out of his depth and treated with in a jocular way much like his coaching career.

In Terry's mind he thought he was God or at worse one level below God so when he arrived we treated him as the Messiah. He thought in his own mind his forte was miracles and that miracle for us long suffering fans was finals. We still believed him and after a 7-2 start who could blame the majority of us. It was Xmas for us every week, but then like Lucifer he was too proud and along with his sins came a break in the leg of one of clubs matchwinners. No miracle was to be attained.

By 2007 it was pretty clear that Terry was not The Messiah but a man whose ego was bigger than the game itself and that he had no plan at all. He had no healing powers no miracles that accompanied those powers bar an occassional unexpected upturn in fortune that was so fleeting that if you blinked you would miss it. Like his predecessor he has moved into the media where his babbling overanalysis only suggests to me that he loves the sound of his own voice.

In the end both failed although Frawley's coaching cv as bad as it is has a prliminary final on it at the RFC. To me Frawley is one of those dumb criminals you might see on World Dumbest Criminals, Worl'd Worse Police Chasers and The Dried Sultana is what can only be classified as a serial killer. Boosted his ego by holding us all in our hands only to shatter us when we pleaded for mercy. Can anyone remember a season as bleak as we had this year after all the hype. Thank you Terry. You shattered 40000 souls with your crap. Your tenure was worse than Jamestown in 1978. Our mass murder was in rd 1 2009. 40000 of us never to recover.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 07:49:18 PM by Tuckerbag »

Jackstar is back

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »
At least Spud is still on talking terms with the players he coached, unlike the tanned one :banghead

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 08:27:48 PM »
Thank you Terry. You shattered 40000 souls with your crap. Your tenure was worse than Jamestown in 1978. Our mass murder was in rd 1 2009. 40000 of us never to recover.

I think you mean Jonestown Tucker - Jim Jones and his followers  ;D

In answer to the pole

I really don't care there gone and forgotten  :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)