Author Topic: If Northey had stayed?  (Read 7109 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
If Northey had stayed?
« on: November 02, 2004, 06:17:21 PM »
If John Northey hadn't flown north when he didn't get the extra year he was after would he have made any difference to the past 10 years?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

Re: If Northey had stayed?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 07:20:43 PM »
No.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 10:10:14 PM »
Yes  :-*
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Ox

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 11:25:15 PM »
Yes I mean  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 02:26:50 AM »
Don't waffle on so much guys lol.

IMO in the short term he would have made a difference compared to Walls. Northey always seemed to get the best out of the group of players he coached whether at the Dees, us or Brissy. Northey regularly got his sides into finals. He also wouldn't have walked in like Walls did saying after we had just made the finals that we were predictable and then instill a possession gameplan which relied on a high precision of skills which resulted on us missing the finals  ::). However in the long term we would have ended up basically where we are now given the core of our side which we had then lasted on our list for most of the following decade and we as a club deluded ourselves. I'd guess the only thing that may have been different long-term is we may have got rid of the sack coaches tag earlier if Northey stayed around longer.

What made me think of this is remembering this conspiracy theory some Richmond member from Shepparton told me who I was sitting next to at the footy one day this year. lol @ what some people resort to when we are almost 10 goals down at half time  ;D. We started talking about Richo and we ended up on Northey for some reason. Anyway according to this bloke, Northey wanted to trade Richo and Cambo at the end of 95 season (Richo b/c of his knee and Cambo b/c he had a stellar year and would fetch a high price)  ??? but the Club wouldn't have a bar of it because they were scared of a supporters backlash. So Northey went on his merry way. This bloke also claimed the Shepparton supporters' group (?) at the time went ape at the Club when they found out the Club had chosen player(s) over the coach. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 02:39:44 AM by mightytiges »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 03:11:57 AM »
Getting rid of Richo and Cambo would have been one way to change the order of things down at the club. Another way would have been to realise when it was necessary that we weren't just a player or two away from a grand final when we were finishing middle of the ladder all the time or having the odd lucky year where everything seemed to work and he finished top 4.

If Northey realised where we were at as a playing group then I'm sure he could have made the right adjustments post 95 to have us threatening for a flag by 1998 or 1999. If he was overly optimistic and deluded as to our potential, as our coaches have been in the last decade, then he would have landed us exactly where we are at this day.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 10:46:45 AM »
Agree with John.

If Northey had realised where we were at in terms of the playing list and didn't think we were 1 small forward away from a flag lol, then he probably would have made us a better team and a better club in the long term.  However if he was deluded about our list then he would have turned out to be another Frawley.  Because in my opinion, even though we had a great year in 95, we were still far far off from being real contenders.  The thrashing we received from Geelong in the prelim proved it in a way.  IMHO we were a quality CHB, FF and 3-4 midfielders away from the big one.  If Northey was of a similar mind set and was willing to draft and recruit accordingly then yes, we would have been better off if he stayed.  However it is hard to say because none of us know what his opinion was and what plans he had.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 12:49:03 PM »

I reckon we definetely would have been better off.

It wasnt Northey that overestimated the playing list. It was Mal Brown who at the time had an unhealthy influence on footballing matters with Daphne.

Brown's view was that Northey was good enough to get teams into finals, but based on his Demons experience, not good enough to win the GF.

So, with Daphne's blessing, he sounded out Sheedy who didnt have this stigma.

Northey demanded a contract extension in response to what Brown and co were doing behind the scenes, didnt get it, and was on his way.

Things would have been very different if the board backed the coach to continue to build from the good year we had in 1995.

And Northey nearly got Lockett down to the RFC. How good would that have been???

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 01:12:20 PM »
If you listen to what Mal Brown said at the time, then we probably would have been marginally better off than we are now if Northey had stayed longer.  Because Brown was of the opinion that, although Northey was good at building team spirit, he had no tactical nous.

While Northey was able to get a lot more out of his players, I don’t know that he was good for their overall, long-term development.  Because I don’t think many players had the necessary motivation and drive that his style of coaching compensated for.  And I reckon it could only work for so long before it became too familiar to the players.

While his style worked against many Clubs, it really showed how flawed his approach was when up against the better teams.  And it usually showed that the fire and brimstone approach wasn’t enough to cover all our deficiencies against these good teams and so came undone against them.  It also showed how his style didn’t really help the players, because when the players had one of those days, as a group, it showed up the basics that were missing from the players.

Since those days, I think our problem has been, until now, that we have tended to finish just outside the 8, giving the impression that we might not be too far away, even though we were further away than most thought.  I think Northey may have been too interested in looking after his job, and may have even been insecure about it, so would have kept us competitive, to keep his job, without us necessarily becoming a good team by design.

At least this way there’s no denying where we are at and can be in no doubt that we have to develop our playing list.  Anyone would need their head read if they thought any different now. :P
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 03:02:37 PM »
And Northey nearly got Lockett down to the RFC. How good would that have been???

And Lockett nominated Richmond as the club he wanted to go to at the end of 94 but the Saints wanted something like two midfielders of the Cambo/Knights variety in exchange so we missed out and he headed on up to the Swans. What might have been with Lockett at FF and Richo and Benny Gale across half-forward in 95?!  :( 

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 03:18:28 PM »

And Lockett nominated Richmond as the club he wanted to go to at the end of 94 but the Saints wanted something like two midfielders of the Cambo/Knights variety in exchange so we missed out and he headed on up to the Swans. What might have been with Lockett at FF and Richo and Benny Gale across half-forward in 95?!  :( 

And what did they settle on after asking us for Campbell and Richo (from memory, that was their asking price)?

Glen Nugent and Troy Gray  :banghead
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 03:27:20 PM »

lmfaoooooo@Lockett and Richo being supplied ball by Daffy, Prescott, Rogers and Nathan Bower.

lmfaoooooooooooo@having the best and worst kick for goal in the comp in your forward line.

lmfaooooooooooo@Lockett growing his hair long to fit in with the girl impersonators in our side circa 1995.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 03:28:02 PM »

And what did they settle on after asking us for Campbell and Richo (from memory, that was their asking price)?

:banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 03:31:36 PM »

:banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

It's amazing how they're all in-sync.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 03:58:15 PM »

It gets worse  :'( :'(..... they wanted Campbell & Richo and we offered Naish and someone else and they took Nugent & Gray.

Now I know Naish wasn't the greatest but he was a lot better than Nugent................. :banghead :banghead

:rollin :rollin

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

It's amazing how they're all in-sync.

certainly is  :banghead ;D

I reckon Tiger fans have been in-sync for years  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)