Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 459224 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Ben Griffiths - 2011 expectations?
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2011, 07:45:21 PM »
Id be happy if he just kicked his 2 or 3 ea week to support JR8, he might tear a side a new one every now and then
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »
Id be happy if he just kicked his 2 or 3 ea week to support JR8, he might tear a side a new one every now and then

2 goals a week would would be an incredible effort.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »
A wonder if Vickery starts to constently perform as a tall forward how this will effect Griffith's? We are more than likely going to have three talls in the forwardline from this point on - FF, CHF and resting/2nd ruck - so perhaps there is room for both Vickery and Griffiths. Will be an interesting year to see how our forwardline develops and who ends up cementing their place in the F50. I hope Griffiths is one.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #198 on: February 28, 2011, 12:32:57 AM »
I'm still hoping Vickery develops into the Spida Everitt type player who can ruck for much of the game then rest in the forward pocket. With the new substitute rule this will be very beneficial to the rotations also if he can play out a full game this way.
I see Riewoldt, Griffiths & Taylor being our more permanent forwards as they are all very different types and should compliment each other

gerkin greg

« Reply #199 on: February 28, 2011, 09:53:31 AM »
I have zero expectations for him at senior level. Don't care if he spends the year at Coburg. Any senior games at this stage of his development is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. I'd be rapt if he gets another 5-10 games into him and averaged a goal a game. Very early days for Big Ben.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2011, 09:50:18 PM »
I'll be happy if the kid stays injury free plays a minimum of about 15 games with a long continuous stint in the senior team and shows improvement on what he showed us from last year. :thumbsup

the claw

« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2011, 02:32:32 AM »
I'll be happy if the kid stays injury free plays a minimum of about 15 games with a long continuous stint in the senior team and shows improvement on what he showed us from last year. :thumbsup
first of all him to be given games. but i fully expect him to be dropped if he can only find the ball 3 or 4 times a game at the level.
at richmond this yr i hope we start to make the kids no all players  earn a spot and not be gifted games when struggling.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2011, 09:19:36 AM »
first of all him to be given games. but i fully expect him to be dropped if he can only find the ball 3 or 4 times a game at the level.
at richmond this yr i hope we start to make the kids no all players  earn a spot and not be gifted games when struggling.
I think he was given games last season despite his low possesion numbers because of how he helps our forward structure and frees up Jack a little more.  :thumbsup Having said that I think if he stays healthy, he will be given more games in the seniors and will show a lot more this season in the games he plays than he did last year.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2011, 09:26:43 AM »
I agree with JV. He was an excellent foil for Jack. The opposition knew he could take a good grab and they knew he is dangerous from 60 out with his massive boot so that in itself is a real bonus to the team even if he only gets single figure stats.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2011, 09:49:25 AM »
A wonder if Vickery starts to constently perform as a tall forward how this will effect Griffith's? We are more than likely going to have three talls in the forwardline from this point on - FF, CHF and resting/2nd ruck - so perhaps there is room for both Vickery and Griffiths. Will be an interesting year to see how our forwardline develops and who ends up cementing their place in the F50. I hope Griffiths is one.

reiwoldt. Vickery. Griffiths. Should turn into a John brown. Lynch. Bradshaw trio.
 8)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »
The Club is being cautious with Ben given his history of having two shoulder reconstructions. Issues with them last year; he had significant surgery done at end of last season. We always said we are not going by a timeframe but by measurables; certain criteria he needs to reach before playing. It's pleasing to see he has ticked most of those boxes. It just means more confidence his body will stand up when we throw him back into full body contact.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/343016/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
Good to hear we are being cautious. 2011 isn't that important as we are still a young developing side likely to finish bottom 4. The key for us is to get his shoulders right for AFL intensity and become a 10 year player for us hopefully.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2011, 05:43:40 PM »
Put him in cotton wool, and a body builders diet for the next 12 months ready for Round 1 next season. Who cares about Griffo this year pack on some kgs and have a monster, strengthening those shoulders for 2012 lol
Go Tigers!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
It may be that nobody is able to answer this question, but what are the chances of Griff getting over his shoulder problems, enough for him to play consecutive seasons?
I dont know much about his problems or the surgery he has had.
I've just got a bad feeling that he is just gonnna be one of those 'potential' players that spends their whole career on the sidelines.
Fingers crossed, im wrong.  :pray

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2011, 08:31:10 PM »
It may be that nobody is able to answer this question, but what are the chances of Griff getting over his shoulder problems, enough for him to play consecutive seasons?I dont know much about his problems or the surgery he has had.
I've just got a bad feeling that he is just gonnna be one of those 'potential' players that spends their whole career on the sidelines.
Fingers crossed, im wrong.  :pray

History tells me that Wayne Carey was just as good if not better after he had his shoulder recos. Judd had shoulder problems when he started (recos in his TAC days IIRC) - look at him now, winning brownlows, not getting pinged for holding the ball

Not for a minute am I saying Griffiths is Carey or Judd but players can recover but it is a slow process.

I think I've mentioned this before (probably on this thread) but I know someone who plays footy and has had a shoulder reco and they've said to me that it really takes 2 season to get over a shoulder reco. The first season after the op is all about getting full movement back in the shoulder joint & regaining confidence in it especially overhead marking. Season 2 means you've had another year to get extra strength in it meaning full confidence in the shoulder
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)