Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 459243 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #2190 on: September 02, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »
Do you get the point?

To judge on non existant hypotheticals is pretty rough on griff

Like saying if cotchin wasnt good at getting the ball he wouldnt be as good

My point is that he does nothing special with his kicking or have really good kicking, he can just get it that extra 10 meters and put it in the dangerous spot more often than others. Reckon he's progressed really well this year but needs to do more

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2191 on: September 02, 2014, 10:04:49 PM »
Just have to ask when is he going to start kicking goals? For our second tall kicking less than 1 a game isn't good enough IMO

They seem to be playing him very much up the wings at present and clearing out the forward line. I think this is a definite strategy to either isolate Jack, Cotch or Dusty or to allow space for our midfielders to run into. Griff is really being used as a transitional/link player. If they play him deep and he found space to leap he would cause all sorts of problems though.

He does go deep at times for a rest and that's when he goes missing when really it would be nice for him to kick a few goals. Don't want to detract from what has been a good few weeks for the big fella who continues to improve, but if it wasn't for his abnormally long kick he wouldn't contribute to so many goals and I feel he still needs to get involved more a kick a few more.

If Bradman wasnt so good at making runs he would not even have that high an average
Not your best work Judge.
I actually think he said it well. If it wasn't for his abnormally long kick.....Guess what, one of his weapons is his kicking. He may not kick many goals but he creates them.  Dimma finally has realised this as he said it himself.
He just has to get the ball more.  If he gets 20 possessions one day,  look out!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2192 on: September 02, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »
Do you get the point?

My point is that he does nothing special with his kicking or have really good kicking, he can just get it that extra 10 meters and put it in the dangerous spot more often than others. Reckon he's progressed really well this year but needs to do more
That's what I thought your point was.  :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2193 on: September 02, 2014, 10:05:33 PM »
You are delusional

He repeatedly kicks 60 meters over the zone to set up goals. Massive weapon

If it were ice hockey its be going down as assists

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2194 on: September 02, 2014, 10:11:42 PM »
Do you get the point?

Define good kicking...
Richo has said on a few occasions that he is the best kick in the side.
Just because he can kick an extra 10m.... Well that extra 10m clears defensive zones and creates scoring opportunities.
FFS this is one of the poorest arguments I've ever seen on this site!
We know the guy is not a champion but he has a unique set of tools that if we can develop will give the team a player that opposition sides will poot themselves in the future.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2195 on: September 02, 2014, 10:17:01 PM »
He's more a required player than Newman or conca and they've been gifted matches
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2196 on: September 03, 2014, 01:32:06 AM »
Just to recap: "If footballers didn't have their best attributes they wouldn't be as good."

Stunning insight there - truly revelatory.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2197 on: September 03, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »
Just to recap: "If footballers didn't have their best attributes they wouldn't be as good."

Stunning insight there - truly revelatory.

Profound

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2198 on: September 03, 2014, 11:57:29 AM »
Griff is also pretty stuffing accurate, we just need to get the ball to him more, bring him into the game a bit more.  At the moment he has been trying to win a lot of his own like a midfielder, and has been positively mugged by defenders in the last few games, which is good.  It tells us they know he is the real deal and is going have to start dealing with it, freeing up other forwards to pull the marks down.  This bloke is awesome, there isn't even a debate to be had, he is plucking marks, taking two defenders, moving round the map like a dirt bike and sending cruise missile in to advantage, what isn't to like?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2199 on: September 03, 2014, 12:09:09 PM »
Must keep, end of story. Close thread. ;D
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2200 on: September 03, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
Griff is also pretty stuffing accurate, we just need to get the ball to him more, bring him into the game a bit more.  At the moment he has been trying to win a lot of his own like a midfielder, and has been positively mugged by defenders in the last few games, which is good.  It tells us they know he is the real deal and is going have to start dealing with it, freeing up other forwards to pull the marks down.  This bloke is awesome, there isn't even a debate to be had, he is plucking marks, taking two defenders, moving round the map like a dirt bike and sending cruise missile in to advantage, what isn't to like?

what Owl said
Caracella and Balmey.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2201 on: September 03, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
Ask big tone and claw. Both want to trade him!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2202 on: September 03, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »
He is a highlight reel at the moment. A few good things a game. Then goes missing for massive chucks of the game. Not even Y&BB could disagree with that.
He has had 3 tackles in 20 quarters of footy since he has come back in. Not great however you try and spin that.
I'd trade him for any pick under 20 especially in this draft when you could pick up a gem at any pick in the first 20.
A few long kicks and a few big marks haven't changed my opinion of him yet.
Let's hope he isn't the one to let us down this week.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2203 on: September 03, 2014, 06:55:51 PM »
He is a highlight reel at the moment. A few good things a game. Then goes missing for massive chucks of the game. Not even Y&BB could disagree with that.
He has had 3 tackles in 20 quarters of footy since he has come back in. Not great however you try and spin that.
I'd trade him for any pick under 20 especially in this draft when you could pick up a gem at any pick in the first 20.
A few long kicks and a few big marks haven't changed my opinion of him yet.
Let's hope he isn't the one to let us down this week.
I'd only trade him for a top 15 pick.
I agree that he needs to get the ball more but he'll never be a high possession guy.  If he can average 15 possessions a game he will be an excellent player for us.  I guess I look at it like this. One 65m kick from him is worth more than 6 back and forth handballs. Yet those handballs give a player an inflated possession count. One game saving pack mark is worth 10+ marks that are obtained from short chip kicks in the backline. So you see, stats don't tell us the whole story.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #2204 on: September 03, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
Trade Vickery for Higgins.

Griffs going nowhere
Caracella and Balmey.