Author Topic: Dylan Grimes [merged]  (Read 233995 times)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Dylan Grimes [merged]
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2011, 12:42:58 PM »

How quick is he MT? Can he do the job defensively?

I only saw the one game of him last year - hard to gauge from that. But 193cm is a pretty good size, a pleasant surprising actually - he didn't look that tall to me.

Fastest at the club. That quick enough?

Offline Obelix

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2011, 01:43:17 PM »

I only saw the one game of him last year - hard to gauge from that. But 193cm is a pretty good size, a pleasant surprising actually - he didn't look that tall to me.

Wow... fair dinkum?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2011, 02:34:02 PM »
atm i have gourdis playing fb but athlete that he is i worry enormously about his footskills.

For all his flaws, McGuane will get a game ahead of Gourdis at FB. Believe it or not Luke is a better kick.
Hopefully Grimes will be the eventual replacement for both.

mcgaune might be a better kick

Gourdis is younger. Faster. Taller. Stronger.

« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »
atm i have gourdis playing fb but athlete that he is i worry enormously about his footskills.

For all his flaws, McGuane will get a game ahead of Gourdis at FB. Believe it or not Luke is a better kick.
Hopefully Grimes will be the eventual replacement for both.

mcgaune might be a better kick

Gourdis is younger. Faster. Taller. Stronger.

Isn't that a Guy Sebastain song?

:cheers

the claw

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2011, 09:20:23 PM »

actually gourdis has a 2.83 for 20 metres  grimes isnt far off him with a 2.9. the thing is with grimes hes a good kick has a brain  is a nice height  is agile enough and if he can bulk up will have all the tools to play fb. the only real issues with gourdis is kicking and for want of a better way of putting it mental strength. athletically i reckon gourdis has it over most talls in the comp. the  ability to take on and stop the power forwards one on one is the main hope i have for him but i question why we would replace poor kicks with more poor kicks. dont get me wrong im all for grimes and gourdis getting a fair go at the top level. id play without even blinking gourdis in front of mcguane as we are looking for an improvement on him. weather thats a long term improvement who knows.

tony_montana

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2011, 10:05:13 PM »

actually gourdis has a 2.83 for 20 metres  grimes isnt far off him with a 2.9. the thing is with grimes hes a good kick has a brain  is a nice height  is agile enough and if he can bulk up will have all the tools to play fb. the only real issues with gourdis is kicking and for want of a better way of putting it mental strength. athletically i reckon gourdis has it over most talls in the comp. the  ability to take on and stop the power forwards one on one is the main hope i have for him but i question why we would replace poor kicks with more poor kicks. dont get me wrong im all for grimes and gourdis getting a fair go at the top level. id play without even blinking gourdis in front of mcguane as we are looking for an improvement on him. weather thats a long term improvement who knows.

good post claw - agree on everything u just summed up

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2011, 02:25:27 PM »
Grimes ready to get dirty
By Jennifer Witham
richmondfc.com.au
2:04 PM Fri 08 Apr, 2011

YOUNG Richmond defender Dylan Grimes is likely to have a sleepless night on Friday after being told he will take on either Lance Franklin or Jarryd Roughead in the Tigers' clash with Hawthorn on Saturday night at the MCG.

The 19-year-old, who made his AFL debut in round 22 last year and has just that solitary appearance to his name, has been added to the side in the wake of backman Luke McGuane's two-week suspension.

Coach Damien Hardwick said the unavailability of McGuane, Alex Rance (suspension) and Will Thursfield (ankle) meant Grimes and fellow emerging defender David Astbury would tackle the Hawks' twin towers.

"Between [Grimes] and Astbury … they're going up against some premiership players and All Australian players," he said on Friday.

"It's a fantastic opportunity for our footy club to show the football world we think we've got some guys that are taking us places."

Hardwick joked he would also lose sleep over playing his young pair alongside the power forwards before he focused on the positives of Grimes that have lifted him into the senior team.

"We've got great faith in Grimesy, we think he's going to be a long-term player for this footy club and he's probably going to get a fair initiation tomorrow night," he said.

"He's got elite speed and he's very, very competitive, which is something we love at our footy club.

"It's one of the foundation blocks of the players that come here and he is very good in that area.

"He'll be a welcome addition down there, he's going to be a good player, a long-term player for us and we look forward to the challenge we set him."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/111171/default.aspx

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »
Huge ask for a second gamer  :o I didn't realize that Thursfield was injured too so this selection was forced in the end. Whatever happens, this will be a great learning experience for the two young defenders. I think you'll see both Roughhead and Buddy playing closer to goal where they can use their superior strength to out muscle our boys and give them better efficiency in front of goal which they have coped their fair share of criticism over lately.

Makes the midfield battle even more crucial that it even would have been  :pray

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »
Remember Will Thursfield dominated Nick Riewoldt in only his 2nd game of AFL
Grimes' turn next

gerkin greg

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2011, 02:38:43 AM »
a 2005 model Nick Riewoldt half a effing decade ago  ::)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
a 2005 model Nick Riewoldt half a effing decade ago  ::)
You mean a 23-24 year old Riewoldt? The same age Franklin is now?

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
Go grimey go!  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Don't underestimate him, that is all :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
Grimes effort pleases coach
10/4/2011
Gregor Mactaggart
Sportal

"I thought Dylan did a pretty good job for a kid playing his second game of AFL footy," Hardwick said.

"The amount of contests he got to was pretty creditable for the young fella. I think we've found a player going forward."

"Buddy's an elite player in this competition and we're asking a kid that's played two games to have a crack at it."

"I thought he stood up manfully, he got beaten by a better player on the night, but he'll learn an enormous amount from that."

Full article here:
http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/grimes-effort-pleases-coach-118120

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2011, 09:14:18 PM »
Looks like he's a definite starter against collingwood.