Author Topic: Rookie pick 7: Robbie Hicks  (Read 6063 times)

tony_montana

Re: Rookie pick 7: Robbie Hicks
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 03:21:18 PM »
This kids a good footballer, not just pace, has smarts about him. We need to keep trying out these guys so we can get them right. Way too early to be making calls on him and who really caresabout size? There are plenty of his size playing afl, its a question of whther they can play so give him time.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
Many of the players have been looking forward to his first game too. They rate him very highly  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2010, 07:50:05 PM »
Hicks' tricks on AFL stage
Laura Jolly
Leader
August 08, 2010 4:09PM

ROBBIE Hicks was pulling on his socks to play for Coburg in the VFL last weekend when he took an urgent call from Richmond football manager Ross Monaghan. Everything had changed.

Hicks, 18, had been named to play for Richmond's VFL affiliate, Coburg. But the Moonee Ponds resident instead ended up making his AFL debut in Richmond's gritty 20-point win over Adelaide the following day.

Better still, he kicked his first goal in the game-changing third term which saw the Tigers out-score the Crows six goals to two.

"It was very, very exiting," the former Calder Cannon told Leader.

Playing an AFL match on the hallowed turf of the MCG was the fulfilment of a childhood dream for Hicks, and he admitted feeling nervous before the match.

"I don't sleep well before games ... so I didn't sleep very well Friday," he said.

"Then on Saturday night I reckon I woke up at 3am and I didn't go back to sleep after that.

"(But) running through the banner and walking out on to the MCG before the game was an amazing feeling."

As well as his goal, Hicks collected seven disposals but commented he "would have liked a few more touches".

"But the game was a lot more quick than I'm used to," he said.

"The coach was happy and I did all the things I was supposed to, so hopefully I'll get another game in the next couple of weeks."

Hicks was promoted from Richmond's rookie list late last month alongside Irishman Jamie O'Reilly, the pair replacing the injured Nathan Foley and Adam Thomson. His elevation was apt reward for a strong showing in the VFL this season.

After playing the first seven games of the season in Coburg's reserves, Hicks was promoted to the seniors in Round 8. He then booted 12 goals from seven VFL senior matches before his AFL call-up.

The former Doutta Stars junior, who was a member of Calder's 2009 TAC Cup premiership side, said things had moved extremely quickly. "Two months ago I was playing in the reserves. Then I jumped to the ones, then last weekend I made my (AFL) debut."

It is a long way from the uncertain position he was in last November. After missing selection in the 2009 National Draft, Hicks put everything into pre-season training with Richmond.

He was hoping to be picked up as a rookie. To his relief his name was read out by the Tigers with their seventh pick in the rookie draft.

Hicks said he was relishing life at an AFL club.

"Everyone (at Richmond) is very positive and there's a strong focus on development and learning this year. Because there's such a strong focus on learning, the same structure and game plan is played throughout the levels, so it's the same at Richmond as it as at Coburg and in the Coburg reserves," he said.

Living near home was also a bonus, he said. "I'm still at home with mum and dad. I get stuck in traffic going into training, but mum does a lot for me and so does dad."

Hicks offered some advice to his former Calder Cannons teammates, who are aiming for this year's draft. "Try as much as you can not to stress out," he said.

"My head went at a million-miles-an-hour this time last year, thinking, 'Will someone take me?'.

"They should try and take their mind off the draft and focus on finishing their schooling, or if they're not at school, just focus on doing everything right and having a good finish to the season."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hicks-tricks-on-afl-stage/story-fn53khop-1225902681997

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hicks living his dream (RFC)
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 08:26:12 PM »
Hicks living his dream
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen 6:44 PM Wed 11 August, 2010

DREAMS are important.

At the start of the year, Richmond rookie Robert Hicks had a dream - to play an AFL game.

It seemed a way off, though - for the first two months of the year, the 176cm, 67kg Hicks was playing VFL reserves at Coburg, seemingly a million miles away from the MCG that he could see every day when he turned up at Punt Rd to train.

But after seven reserves game he moved to Coburg firsts, then 12 goals from seven VFL senior games meant that when the Tigers put Nathan Foley and Adam Thomson on the long-term injury list, the 18-year-old was ready for the promotion.

Hicks, who lives with his parents in Moonee Ponds, said it was hard work - something he wasn’t particularly known for when he arrived at the club - that got him the opportunity to play that cherished first game.

"I did heaps and heaps of extra sessions whether it be extra goalkicking sessions or extra tackling sessions, just trying to get myself up to the level,” Hicks told richmondfc.com.au.

“There were a few things I knew I lacked, and I put a lot of effort in to get them to a higher standard.

“There are still a few things I need to work on, which is probably an understatement, but it feels really good to get these games in so I can build towards next season.”

Almost all players say after their first game that they can’t believe the speed everything moves at, and Hicks is no different, although the games have shown him more things he needs to work on before next year.

“It is a big bonus, getting that experience - I know what the pace is like, I know what I have to do, I know how much bigger the bodies are at AFL level and how much weight I have to put on," Hicks said. “It was a very big eye-opener getting those couple of games.

“The first half of the first game just flew - the half-time siren went and we went into the rooms and I was sitting on the floor, thinking ‘this is already half over - where’s it gone?’

“I enjoyed it more than anything in the whole world, but everything moves so fast, I don’t think you take it all in.

“I got a goal and I was pretty happy with it, although my celebration was probably a little bit over the top, but what can you do? I was ecstatic - everyone in the team got over to me and it was a really great feeling.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/100158/default.aspx

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hicks living his dream (RFC)
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »
Hicks living his dream
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen 6:44 PM Wed 11 August, 2010

DREAMS are important.

At the start of the year, Richmond rookie Robert Hicks had a dream - to play an AFL game.

It seemed a way off, though - for the first two months of the year, the 176cm, 67kg Hicks was playing VFL reserves at Coburg, seemingly a million miles away from the MCG that he could see every day when he turned up at Punt Rd to train.

But after seven reserves game he moved to Coburg firsts, then 12 goals from seven VFL senior games meant that when the Tigers put Nathan Foley and Adam Thomson on the long-term injury list, the 18-year-old was ready for the promotion.

Hicks, who lives with his parents in Moonee Ponds, said it was hard work - something he wasn’t particularly known for when he arrived at the club - that got him the opportunity to play that cherished first game.

"I did heaps and heaps of extra sessions whether it be extra goalkicking sessions or extra tackling sessions, just trying to get myself up to the level,” Hicks told richmondfc.com.au.

“There were a few things I knew I lacked, and I put a lot of effort in to get them to a higher standard.

“There are still a few things I need to work on, which is probably an understatement, but it feels really good to get these games in so I can build towards next season.”

Almost all players say after their first game that they can’t believe the speed everything moves at, and Hicks is no different, although the games have shown him more things he needs to work on before next year.

“It is a big bonus, getting that experience - I know what the pace is like, I know what I have to do, I know how much bigger the bodies are at AFL level and how much weight I have to put on," Hicks said. “It was a very big eye-opener getting those couple of games.

“The first half of the first game just flew - the half-time siren went and we went into the rooms and I was sitting on the floor, thinking ‘this is already half over - where’s it gone?’

“I enjoyed it more than anything in the whole world, but everything moves so fast, I don’t think you take it all in.

“I got a goal and I was pretty happy with it, although my celebration was probably a little bit over the top, but what can you do? I was ecstatic - everyone in the team got over to me and it was a really great feeling.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/100158/default.aspx
this kid is awsome