Author Topic: Your R1 Team to Meet the Blooz  (Read 14865 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Your R1 Team to Meet the Blooz
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 10:33:30 PM »
The side for round 1 does not matter to me at this stage as long as it has not got the same spinless, weak, unskillful players from previous years that have let us all down time and time again!
I don't mind going through some more pain but what will send me over the edge is if i have to watch most of the same players running around that clearly imo are not good enough for this level.

Unless Thirsty has learnt to kick and put on some muscle, he plays for Coburg. (gives nothing to the side other than a fist from behind a leading forward)
Unless Tuck has learnt to chase and to kick he plays for Coburg. (been a solid player for the club but we will not improve if he is in the side)
Unless Edwards has put on 10kg and learnt how to tackle he plays for Coburg. (to small and has nothing to hide that fact weather it be speed, goal senses, or even skill)
Unless Jackson has grown a football brain and learnt to kick, he plays for Coburg. (great athelete but has not even got close to enough skill to be able to help this club move forward)
Hislop, Thompson are just not even close.

IMO all these players have had enough chances and have come up short one way or another. It's time to move forward without them OR if by some miracle they go back top Coburg, play REALLY well and fight there way back in then OK. But until then play the kids and find out if they have what it takes or at least if they might.

A few others that really need to stand up for this club are Tambling and  Moore (both have had 1 good season but that does not make a footballer)  White, Polo, and Conners.
All have been on the list a while and just have not shown enough to say they deserve to be at Tigerland.

We all talk about us in a re-building stage, well it's tme to start with the kids....

The more kids round one the better IMO...

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »
sheesh im addicted to these team threads.

few changes for me my core 25 30 players  has been basically the same since the end of the draft.

B/     Farmer     Thursfield     Moore/Gourdis/Grimes.

HB/   Tambling       Post        Webberley/Dea/Connors

C/    Collins       Martin         Newman

HF/   Cotchin     Riewoldt      Astbury/Taylor

F/     Morton      Griffiths      Nahas/Roberts.

R/     Simmonds   Deledio      Cousins/Foley.

Int/  2nd ruckman take your pick.  jackson, (thomson/tuck) edwards.
yep thats the thirty. perhaps contin who i think already will give more than thomson or tuck.

i can without flinching draw a line thru graham, hislop, king, mcguane, mcmahon, polak, polo, tuck, white, thats ten without blinking apart from hislop ive been calling for the other heads for yrs.

i have grave concerns over connors, edwards, jackson,  moore, rance, thomson, thursfield,gourdis, nahas,   sheesh thats another 9 and you can bet a reasonable percentage wont make it. with all imo we should be aiming to do better long term.so in the short term they can provide a srevice long term they have to go.

i havent mentioned rookies or newbies  but we can be sure there will be a percentage that dont make it.

sheesh the work to be done is enormous we  havent even bottomed out yet.

You have 10 defenders and Mcguane can't even make it, but you have Simmonds in the team who hasn't trained for 2 months. Are you ok? ;)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 12:55:57 AM »
I am afraid that whether some of you like it or not Polak will be playing at FF come round one. Hardwick had him there again at training today from reports and I think Hardwick has him in his plans to play there. At least until someone else can show him that they belong there more than Polak and at the moment we don't have anyone IMO.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

richmondrules

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »
Gee willickers Batman.

HUGE ask for Griffiths who is coming back from injury and hasn't played a game yet. You must all be going on gut feel. Hope your gut feel is correct and I hope we don't break the boy.

Amazing how fast Polak has disappeared from calculations.

well RROFO, Polak was not our worst on Saturday Night. he kept chasing/pressure everytime the ball was in our fifty.

clearly Hardwick has told him, you do this and that, you will get a chance to play.

Polak did not get much of an opportunity on Saturday Night, not many inside fifties and our forward structure is still non-existent.

i don't think he will be promoted onto the senior list, that is why Griffiths (if fit) will play.

if not, i will think of somebody else!

:)

Sorry Stripes, I wasn't having a go at you. Actually I wasn't having a go at anyone. I simply feel that it is very unlikely that Griffiths will play round 1. I see he was running laps again at training yesterday, has he actually played any football yet? Only about a month to go now, if he doesn't get a move on he's going to have little to no match fitness for the season.

My comment about Polak was only an observation. I can see why you might think what I said was a criticism of him but that's not the way I operate.

Before NAB round 1 a lot of people had him off the rookie list and at FF. After NAB round 1 he does not seem to figure in anyone's calculations. Personally I think he will line up at FF against Carlton, simply because he is the best option we have. Griffiths bay be the better long term prospect but I can't see the point in rushing him in when he is not ready and running the risk of breaking him.

There's a difference between getting games into young players and playing a youngster who is not physically ready. At least a few games at Coburg would be prudent.

That's how I see it anyway.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:54 AM »
My team for round one:

B: Farmer-Thursfield-McGuane/Gourdis (if Luke's not match-fit)
HB: Newman-Post-Connors
C: Deledio-Cousins-Cotchin
HF:Edwards-Vickery-Astbury
F:Morton-Riewoldt-Nahas
Foll:Simmonds-Tuck-Martin
INT:Graham-Jackson-Webberley-Collins

If Simmonds isn't fit by rd1, I'd start with Graham in the ruck, and Browne on the bench. If Jackson isn't fit, I'd be looking at Dea or Roberts on the bench.
Notable exclusions are Polak,Tambling, Polo, Hislop, Moore, Thomson, White and Rance, none of whom impressed me in the least on Saturday night. Some I've never been fans of. Others, like Tambling, I've completely run out of patience with. Of these, Rance for me was the most crushing disappointment. I was always a big rap for the kid, good height and size,courageous,reasonable pedigree and a high draft pick. Yet the complete and utter lack of awareness or accountability on his direct opponent, dumb decision-making, and poor skill that he displayed last Saturday night left me in severe doubt that he will make the grade.        

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 10:28:22 AM »
While he was bad in the NAB Cup, I don't think Franklin was ever the right match up for him
Franklin has always been held better by more agile defenders

the claw

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 07:39:28 PM »
sheesh im addicted to these team threads.

few changes for me my core 25 30 players  has been basically the same since the end of the draft.

B/     Farmer     Thursfield     Moore/Gourdis/Grimes.

HB/   Tambling       Post        Webberley/Dea/Connors

C/    Collins       Martin         Newman

HF/   Cotchin     Riewoldt      Astbury/Taylor

F/     Morton      Griffiths      Nahas/Roberts.

R/     Simmonds   Deledio      Cousins/Foley.

Int/  2nd ruckman take your pick.  jackson, (thomson/tuck) edwards.
yep thats the thirty. perhaps contin who i think already will give more than thomson or tuck.

i can without flinching draw a line thru graham, hislop, king, mcguane, mcmahon, polak, polo, tuck, white, thats ten without blinking apart from hislop ive been calling for the other heads for yrs.

i have grave concerns over connors, edwards, jackson,  moore, rance, thomson, thursfield,gourdis, nahas,   sheesh thats another 9 and you can bet a reasonable percentage wont make it. with all imo we should be aiming to do better long term.so in the short term they can provide a srevice long term they have to go.

i havent mentioned rookies or newbies  but we can be sure there will be a percentage that dont make it.

sheesh the work to be done is enormous we  havent even bottomed out yet.

You have 10 defenders and Mcguane can't even make it, but you have Simmonds in the team who hasn't trained for 2 months. Are you ok? ;)

ah im fine. thanks for asking.

yep imo there are 10 defenders  well 12 if you include mcguane  and rance in competition for 6 spots.

mcguane is in competition for a kp spot. im afraid both post and thursfield are better options moving forward. so mcguane is not in competition with 12 hes in competition with 2.

the best third tall option we have is moore sheesh he wants to produce as well. i think gourdis showed a bit and with his pace  and decent size he may make a decent third tall option  only trouble is you wont want him kicking out of defence.

grimes is the other a  tall defender but still skinny  does have good footskills and reads it well. if thursfield and moore dont produce play grimes and gourdis  we have to look forward mcguane is a spud  whos had 5 yrs  but most ferals  love him because he has a dip.

farmer tambling dea webberley connors and newman are all in competition for the 3 smaller defender spots. i havent included newman because i believe he will play in the midfield. i dont suppose you want mcguane to have one of these spots do you.

the back 6 must have a combination of size, hmm sorry rules out mcguane. speed sheesh sorry rules out mcguane. strength omg it rules out mcguane. smarts do i need to say it, it rules out mcguane. skills  yep you guessed it it rules out mcguane. accountability sheesh does he have accountability.well he tries anyway.
the love for this bloke never ceases to amaze me. hes a trier nothing more.

oh i forgot head up the arse supporters like you never look weaknesses waste of time pointing out deficiencies.

sheesh simmonds hasnt trained i hadnt realised  still hes a better option than graham training or no training.
i know lets just throw vickery in by himself to carry the entire ruck.never mind hes chronically under sized atm. 
better of throwing browne in  at least he has some meat on his bones. 

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »
Gee willickers Batman.

HUGE ask for Griffiths who is coming back from injury and hasn't played a game yet. You must all be going on gut feel. Hope your gut feel is correct and I hope we don't break the boy.

Amazing how fast Polak has disappeared from calculations.
I think it just shows how few KP options we have up forward with such a young list. It's either go with a young inexperienced tall who is part of our future or someone with a mature KP body but isn't part of our long term future. You're right RROFO it was more "hope" with Griffiths than reality at this stage :-\. Polly will probably still line-up in round 1 at FF as a temporary option to get us through 2010. I would like us to try Postie again based on his effort in the second Essendon game last year but Hardwick has him playing down back this year.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 10:30:40 PM »
Yep I would like to see Post up forward again, I think he has more to offer there and is more mobile. Back line could be:

B: Farmer Moore McGuanne
HB: Newman Thursfield Gourdis/Rance (sorry but he just has to make it.. :thumbsup)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »
mcguane is in competition for a kp spot. im afraid both post and thursfield are better options moving forward. so mcguane is not in competition with 12 hes in competition with 2.

sheesh simmonds hasnt trained i hadnt realised  still hes a better option than graham training or no training.
i know lets just throw vickery in by himself to carry the entire ruck.never mind hes chronically under sized atm. 

Mcguane is every bit as good as Thursty you clown. They'll be perfect for 2nd and 3rd tall forwards with Post taking the best tall forward usually and Gourdis or Rance taking the fourth tall. Mcguane and Thursty are both hitting the scales at 90kg and 191-192cm now and both are good stoppers. I'd take Graham and Vickery ahead of Simmonds. Both have 5cm reach advantage in the ruck and both can hit a target 15m away  ;)

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:36 PM »
Backmen need to be more than just stoppers these days. They need to be also strong rebounders to set up counterattacks and hence have good foot skills so you're not just turning the ball straight back to the opposition and gifting them goals. That's why Postie is playing in defence this year because he appears to be the compete package that just needs to become stronger and more experienced. Thursty is a good stopper but if he has a weakness it is he's hardly a rebounding defender. McGuane's footskills aren't great while Gourdis and Rance are ordinary kicks at this stage.

With our newbie talls very young and inexperienced we are really hamstrung with a lack of genuine decent KPP options. We have to rob Peter to pay Paul when juggling our KPPs  :-\.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

the claw

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »

Mcguane is every bit as good as Thursty you clown. They'll be perfect for 2nd and 3rd tall forwards with Post taking the best tall forward usually and Gourdis or Rance taking the fourth tall. Mcguane and Thursty are both hitting the scales at 90kg and 191-192cm now and both are good stoppers. I'd take Graham and Vickery ahead of Simmonds. Both have 5cm reach advantage in the ruck and both can hit a target 15m away  ;)
lol so mcguane is every bit as good as thursfield sheesh so that makes thursfield a dud as well.
so your alright with undersized talls who either cant kick have no brains or just dont get the ball. yep fantastic we will catch up to all the other sides with those two dynamos.
and you want to play rance and gourdis as  4th talls. i suppose you are going to fit in somewhere  some genuine skillful smaller running types.
oh wait a minute skillful is a dirty word  when mentioning names like rance  mcguane gourdis.

its laughable that you think one of the most god awful awkward skilless dumb players to ever pull on a pair of footy boots in graham is a footballer.  and to top it all of you want  to throw the chronically undersized vickery into the hardest role in the game.
na petal   chop  a leg of simmonds  and i would  take him in front of those two. in 2 or 3 yrs hopefully i wont still be saying it in regards vickery.

mate i have to say i come on here for intelligent thoughtful debate.  and what do i get?  an imbecile.  you can be assured i will be ignoring the utter rubbish you post from here on in its not worth the bother dealing with one who is so well best not say that.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »

lol so mcguane is every bit as good as thursfield sheesh so that makes thursfield a dud as well.

so your alright with undersized talls who either cant kick have no brains or just dont get the ball. yep fantastic we will catch up to all the other sides with those two dynamos.
and you want to play rance and gourdis as  4th talls. i suppose you are going to fit in somewhere  some genuine skillful smaller running types.
oh wait a minute skillful is a dirty word  when mentioning names like rance  mcguane gourdis.

its laughable that you think one of the most god awful awkward skilless dumb players to ever pull on a pair of footy boots in graham is a footballer.  and to top it all of you want  to throw the chronically undersized vickery into the hardest role in the game.
na petal   chop  a leg of simmonds  and i would  take him in front of those two. in 2 or 3 yrs hopefully i wont still be saying it in regards vickery.

mate i have to say i come on here for intelligent thoughtful debate.  and what do i get?  an imbecile.  you can be assured i will be ignoring the utter rubbish you post from here on in its not worth the bother dealing with one who is so well best not say that.

Ummm Mark Blake. Mcguane is a nice kick too. You're a fool  8). Most likely you're a 150kg armchair fan who kicks like a girl ;)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 10:48:33 PM »
Keep to the footy discussion ppl without resorting to personal insults and namecalling because you disagree with what is said by another poster ::)

Ox

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 10:59:21 PM »
Claw is right tho. :shh