Author Topic: Your R1 Team to Meet the Blooz  (Read 14868 times)

jackstar is back again

Re: Your R1 Team to Meet the Blooz
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 11:15:15 PM »
Claw is right, I like his choice of words, ""Imbecile"" :thumbsup

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 09:39:36 AM »
Claw is right tho. :shh

Not about McGuane.  He might never be an A grader but is a better footballer than Thursfield will ever be and his kicking is not near as bad as the perception held by many - it looks bad because it's awkward but his efficiency with kicking is quite acceptable.  Of course there is always room for improvement but that goes for every single player doesn't it.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 10:29:13 AM »

Claw chooses Moore over Mcguane and Simmonds over Graham. You sure he's right?  ::)

the claw

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 11:04:11 AM »

Not about McGuane.  He might never be an A grader but is a better footballer than Thursfield will ever be and his kicking is not near as bad as the perception held by many - it looks bad because it's awkward but his efficiency with kicking is quite acceptable.  Of course there is always room for improvement but that goes for every single player doesn't it.
well we will have to agree to disagree.

look the one thing that is constantly overlooked is the defense has been ordinary and chronically undersized for years. we are supposed to be rebuilding and in doing so striving to be better in the long term.
for 5 yrs or more we have gone with newman moore, mcguane, thursfield, yet people generally dont want to change this.
it hasnt worked the 3 so called talls have been very inconsistant are very shoddy in many areas and if we are to strive to do better we must  try different players back even id it means in the short term we go backwards for awhile.

sheesh the aim should not be to hang onto underperforming chronically deficient players forever. the aim should be to BUILD a well balanced skilled accountable  unit that can be a potent attacking weapon as well.

in looking forward  i think we do need to find a fb.  hopefully we have our chb in post.
 in honesty i cant see a place for rance im critical of the skills and smarts of the players hes in competition with for a spot so i dont see the point in replaceing them with exactly the same deficient type.  the only thing that does save him atm is his age and experience and perhaps size we may be able to do something with him but i would not hold my breath.

moore who most on here seem to have written of ,i would play as a genuine running hbf. ive called for this for yrs. pace a plenty. agility. is a solid kick, does have smarts, and is an ideal size to play on taller types and smalls. these are attributes mcguane and thursfield do not have so on potential and talent alone hes miles in front.
in wrapping him up to me is crunch time for kelvin he needs to show 08 was not a one off. he needs to stay healthy and he needs to perform at the rquired level. there can be no more excuses for kelvin perform or perish.

we need a small nuggety accountable quick skilled player  we need some very good kicks who have some smarts run and size

rather than mindlessly persevering with what has failed for a long time i believe we need to change  and aspire to become at least competetive and on a par for excellence  with the top teams defences.

to me seeing as we  are close to ground zero now is the time to change. id rather we go with something like this

b/  farmer -  ***** -  moore.
hb/ dea -    post    - webberley.  

personally id be tempted to throw gourdis into fb. thursfield is the other option. tambling is one who may play hb instead of webberley atm.  the idea is to actually change as quickly as we can that which has not worked. not keep on doing the same old same old.

its funny we all to a man recognise  the back halfs short comings. we all recognise we are REBUILDING but most are averse to change.
 its so and so is a bit better than so and so never mind both are not up to standard and have never been.

why are so many averse to change. why do so many defend so doggedly underperformers i dont get it.

the claw

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »

Claw chooses Moore over Mcguane and Simmonds over Graham. You sure he's right?  ::)
pppffftt i choose moore as a running back you think mcguane can perform that role.
 mcguane plays primarily chb i choose post for that role in the hope that we can improve in that position.
atm i prefer either thursfirld at fb or i would give young dave gourdis a go there. i still maintain we need a quality fb.

simmonds or graham  oh deary me why am i even entering into a  debate with an imbecile.

simmonds has had two very injury interrupted seasons  where hes been god awful but simmonds has shown hmself over his career to be more than a handy footballer  what has the dinosaur graham shown  other than he cant run  has no skills  and is not up to standard.
i wonder whos been the one saying we need a mature ruck recruit because im prepared to recognise neither graham or simmonds are long term solutions.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 11:36:33 AM »
Look, alot of the reason our defence has struggled is because of the midfield being beaten and the forwards/midfielders not chasing hard enough and allowing the opposition more forward entries. It's great that Post is playing CHB. He gives us the extra height we need. I really like both Mcguane and Thursfield as stoppers and their weakness has been their lack of size. Wallace didn't push them enough to bulk up, but they are currently getting the bulk they need now. 192cm and 90kg is a good size for 2010 and for 2011 they should aim for 93kg. In 2010 we have Post(195cm/93kg), Mcguane(192cm/90kg), Thursfield(191cm/90kg) and Gourdis/Rance(194cm/94kg). I think we have a pretty good future defence and I'm not going to write Rance off after playing 5 minutes on Franklin. He literally spent 5 minutes on him in his first proper hit out for the year. We should play 4 tall defenders(3 on ground, 1 on interchange). I'm really liking what Edwards has shown since midseason 2009. Edwards, Newman and Farmer should be our small defenders. Having Farmer gives us the luxury of playing Tambling on the wing to replace White. I don't see the need to have a 190cm small defender. They will be playing on small forwards remember

FB: Edwards Mcguane Newman
HB: Farmer Post Gourdis/Thursfield

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »

why do so many defend so doggedly underperformers i dont get it.

In my case it's simple - I don't think McGuane is an under performer.  I think he is an adequate and serviceable half back flanker (not KPP) with room for improvement as he gets older and more experienced, and at present I don't see anyone showing more that should replace him.  Over time we should be looking to upgrade every single player on our list but today is today and we still need to strike a balance between list management, player development and team performance.  IMHO today we don't have anyone better than McGuane for the role he should fill (and that isn't KPP).

And to compare McGuane to Moore for last season (remembering that Moore is 3 years older, has 2 more years AFL experience), McGuane averaged more kicks, marks, handballs, rebound 50's, uncontested possessions, long kicks, run and bounce, and effective disposals.  The only areas Moore was significantly better were skill errors and frees against - the rest of the main (or important) categories they were almost the same.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »
This is the team for Rd 1
B     Webberley     McGuane       Edwards
HB    Cotchin          Post           Rance
C     Cousins          Deledio        Tambling
HF   Newman        Reiwoldt        Morton
F     Astbury           Polak          Nahas
R     Simmonds       Martin          Jackson
Int Connors, Collins, Graham (very lucky), Moore
No Foley injured and Griffiths for Polak if fit

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 01:26:47 PM »

In my case it's simple - I don't think McGuane is an under performer.  I think he is an adequate and serviceable half back flanker (not KPP) with room for improvement as he gets older and more experienced, and at present I don't see anyone showing more that should replace him.  Over time we should be looking to upgrade every single player on our list but today is today and we still need to strike a balance between list management, player development and team performance.  IMHO today we don't have anyone better than McGuane for the role he should fill (and that isn't KPP).

And to compare McGuane to Moore for last season (remembering that Moore is 3 years older, has 2 more years AFL experience), McGuane averaged more kicks, marks, handballs, rebound 50's, uncontested possessions, long kicks, run and bounce, and effective disposals.  The only areas Moore was significantly better were skill errors and frees against - the rest of the main (or important) categories they were almost the same.

Correct. Looking at Mcguanes games the last 2 years, it wasn't very often at all he had more than 3 goals kicked on him in a match. I think he's a nice penetrating kick and provides some pretty good run down the middle at times. His turn overs will reduce with experience and his size will increase.

the claw

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 09:26:16 PM »

stats scmackts  who gives a poo. do the stats show moore strugled with injury for most of the season  or that es struggled with injury for most of his career. its this alone that has me cut him some slack.  the one yr hes been totally  injury free was 08.

so mcguane  isnt a  kpp what the hell are we doing with him then.  i can tell you  hes more of a kpp than a running back. thats just laughable you wish him to play  as a running defender. well  your right  about one thing hes not a kpps hole.

the claw

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
Look, alot of the reason our defence has struggled is because of the midfield being beaten and the forwards/midfielders not chasing hard enough and allowing the opposition more forward entries. It's great that Post is playing CHB. He gives us the extra height we need. I really like both Mcguane and Thursfield as stoppers and their weakness has been their lack of size. Wallace didn't push them enough to bulk up, but they are currently getting the bulk they need now. 192cm and 90kg is a good size for 2010 and for 2011 they should aim for 93kg. In 2010 we have Post(195cm/93kg), Mcguane(192cm/90kg), Thursfield(191cm/90kg) and Gourdis/Rance(194cm/94kg). I think we have a pretty good future defence and I'm not going to write Rance off after playing 5 minutes on Franklin. He literally spent 5 minutes on him in his first proper hit out for the year. We should play 4 tall defenders(3 on ground, 1 on interchange). I'm really liking what Edwards has shown since midseason 2009. Edwards, Newman and Farmer should be our small defenders. Having Farmer gives us the luxury of playing Tambling on the wing to replace White. I don't see the need to have a 190cm small defender. They will be playing on small forwards remember

FB: Edwards Mcguane Newman
HB: Farmer Post Gourdis/Thursfield
ah when all else fails lets fall back to the old its someone elses fault. never mind the chronic weakness in their games if one just opens his eyes and looks.

look you talk numbers but ignore quality i ask whwere is the quality  why do they have so many deficiencies in their games. 

you talk as though these blokes have never tried to gain size, how great it must be to be so naieve. muscles mcguane has never bulked up because he is incapable. take a good look at his frame his hips and thighs. his skills are poo and hes one dunb footballer.

this football club has failed miserably over the yrs because it fails to do what must be done with the mcguanes of this world.
i would rather get belted by 100 points every week playing footballers who have a chance to develop into well rounded players down the track than persevere with the mcguanes of the footy world where they may enable us to win half a dozen games but we go no where .

if people really believe such deficient players like mcguane are the answer  all i can say is i feel sorry for you.or should i be envious  it must be bliss to be so  oblivious.

hmm 16th and a spoon with underperformers who will get no better or 16th and a spoon with young blokes who may  in time be capable of taking us somwhere. i know what my priority would be.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2010, 12:40:45 AM »

stats scmackts  who gives a poo.

The coaches and football department - the ones who are charged with delivering our next premiership.  Thought a football sage such as yourself would know that.

do the stats show moore strugled with injury for most of the season  or that es struggled with injury for most of his career. its this alone that has me cut him some slack.  the one yr hes been totally  injury free was 08.

Aaaahhh, you cut Moore slack after delivering for 1 season out of his 6 so far because he is very injury prone yet McGuane who has shown significant improvement in each of his 4 so far gets none.  Interesting.  What was that comment about defending dogged under performers?

so mcguane  isnt a  kpp what the hell are we doing with him then.  i can tell you  hes more of a kpp than a running back. thats just laughable you wish him to play  as a running defender. well  your right  about one thing hes not a kpps behindhole.

He's 2cm taller than Moore so he is no more 'equipped' to be a KPP than Moore is.  Horses for courses and in all facets McGuane is a better proposition off half back than Moore with more time and upside to his game and career.  Simple really.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2010, 12:43:12 AM »
Claw - I think you're being far too critical of a young group of defenders, especially McGuane. You could have Matty Scarlett playing as full back for us and it wouldn't help that much given our midfield was providing so little pressure that it allowed pinpoint delivery to the opposition forwards. There's only so much a defender can do.

the claw

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 02:12:06 AM »
Claw - I think you're being far too critical of a young group of defenders, especially McGuane. You could have Matty Scarlett playing as full back for us and it wouldn't help that much given our midfield was providing so little pressure that it allowed pinpoint delivery to the opposition forwards. There's only so much a defender can do.
no im not being critical at all.
based purely on a strengths and weakness basis the majority of our existing  tall defenders would not have been touched with a barge pole in this yrs draft.  some deficiencies canot be fixed.
based on performance  they rate very poorly.  sheesh we are in rebuild. you know that stage when you actually try something new. mcguane is no longer  young either.  yr 6  and at the end of yr 6 i bet my bottom dollar mcguane still has exactly the same deficiencies at the end of it..

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2010, 09:13:03 AM »
no im not being critical at all.
based purely on a strengths and weakness basis the majority of our existing  tall defenders would not have been touched with a barge pole in this yrs draft.  some deficiencies canot be fixed.
based on performance  they rate very poorly.  sheesh we are in rebuild. you know that stage when you actually try something new. mcguane is no longer  young either.  yr 6  and at the end of yr 6 i bet my bottom dollar mcguane still has exactly the same deficiencies at the end of it..

Go look at Mcguanes last 2 seasons. Almost every game he has kept his opponent to 3 goals or less. He's 192cm and 90kg and will improve further as a player this year  :)