Author Topic: Andrew Collins [merged]  (Read 3629 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Andrew Collins [merged]
« on: February 19, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »
Next up is Collo who broke into the side last year before injury finished his season with 8 weeks to go.

What are you expectations for Collo this year and what would be a good year for him?

Career so far:

Games  Avg Disp.  Marks   Tackles   G.B     In50
2007           -
2008           -
2009          10        19.1         4.4        2.9     8.2      2.9

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=180  
http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--andrew-collins-1  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 07:57:29 AM by one-eyed »

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Andrew Collins - 2010 expectations?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:51:06 PM »
This is his 4th year at the club, hopefully he goes without any injuries this year and plays all 22 games.  Seems to be a bit prone, osteopubis in 2007 and lost the last 8 games in 2009 due to injury.   Seems to have the body weight at 78Kg.  

I think he is developing fine.  I'd hope he continues to develop into an accomplished mid fielder.  I think his marks and tackles are OK.  I'd hope he gets more than 20 possessions but more importantly we start seeing them being good possessions.

I wouldn't consider this year a make or break unless he gets injured which might kill his career as he could be just too prone.

the claw

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:59:29 PM »
at 78kg hes still terribly under sized. needs about 7kg to 9kg this more than anything is what has held him back and contributed to injury.

hes one i have no doubt about has the tools to be a very good player.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 11:38:36 PM »
I like Collo a lot and hope he does really well. He is quick and evasive but in order for him to be able to deliver, our forwards need to get int space early before he runs too far and gets into trouble as he sometimes struggles to find second and third options on the run.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 12:53:29 AM »
at 78kg hes still terribly under sized. needs about 7kg to 9kg this more than anything is what has held him back and contributed to injury.

Many players develop OP from carrying too much bulk.
At 184cm his ideal playing weight would be around 84kg
Simon Black is 186cm and only 83kg, I don't think anyone would say he's underweight

the claw

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:44:59 AM »

Simon Black is 186cm and only 83kg, I don't think anyone would say he's underweight
pppffftt hes currently 186cm and 78kg  hes bloody scrawny. 85kg  would be ideal  but boy hes a way from that.
yep i know a few who would indeed say hes underweight.

the claw

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:48:01 AM »
oh yeah op is usually developed thru a lack of developing ALL muscles.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 09:37:04 AM »

It might pay to consult a medical professional before offering up these type of comments.

An excellent starting reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteitis_pubis

In particular:
Causes

The cause of osteitis pubis is excessive physical strain on the pubic bone, usually caused by the increasing rigorous demands of competitive sport, particularly soccer and football. In such sports, actions such as running, jumping, kicking and rapid changes of direction cause the abdominal and groin muscles to exercise a pulling or traction force on the pubic bone, which in some cases can result in excessive stress and inflammation. In Australian football this risk is increased by repeated jarring of the pelvis caused when players come down from the high leaps required by the game, and also by tackling from other players. This also forces the pain to arise when performing kicking motions.

In the pre-antibiotic era it was an occasional complication of pelvic surgery and in particular of retropubic prostatectomy.

Apart from an incident occurring during rigorous competitive sport or resulting from pregnancy, osteitis pubis can be categorized into two main groups:

Overload (or training errors).

* Exercising on hard surfaces, like concrete.
    * Exercising on uneven ground.
    * Beginning an exercise program after a long lay-off period.
    * Increasing exercise intensity or duration too quickly.
    * Exercising in worn out or ill fitting shoes.

Biomechanical Inefficiencies

* Faulty foot and body mechanics and gait disturbances.
    * Poor running or walking mechanics.
    * Tight, stiff muscles in the hips, groin and buttocks.
    * Muscular imbalances.
    * Leg length differences.

Or even more pertinent:
Incidence

The incidence of osteitis pubis among Australian footballers has increased sharply over the past decade. There are believed to be three reasons for this:

* The increasing physical demands of Australian rules football. As the game has become more professionalised, with players becoming full-time athletes, such factors as running speed, kicking length, jumping and tackling have all increased, placing increasing stress on the pubic region.
    * The increasing hardness of the surfaces of football grounds. Grounds are better drained than in the past, and the game is increasingly played in roofed stadiums in which the grounds receive no rain. Australian football evolved as a winter game played on soft, muddy grounds, and modern surfaces have made muscle and bone injuries more common.
    * The increasing demand for size and strength among footballers. This has led young players to concentrate on building muscle mass before their bodies are fully mature. The additional strain that highly developed abdominal muscles place on the pubic bone explains the higher prevalence of osteitis pubis on young players. Some develop the condition while still playing school-level football.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 10:12:35 AM »
As one astute poster on here noted Collins must be able to be an absolute attacking gun while at the same time being an absolute gun defensive player and that while attacking is not allowed to be caught out in his defensive responsibilities.  I think both of these Collo's should be able to build on last year and the best thing is they only count as one player :)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 10:25:50 AM »
Thanks for that smokey. I've mentioned on here a couple of times the dangers of young blokes bulking up too much before their bodies mature in reply for the cries of some people to see skinny kids turn into muscle men overnight.

I never really knew much about OP and  it's causes, but;

"This has led young players to concentrate on building muscle mass before their bodies are fully mature. The additional strain that highly developed abdominal muscles place on the pubic bone explains the higher prevalence of osteitis pubis on young players."

is pretty much the sort of thing that I was referring to, but more so in relation to the upper body - shoulders etc. Something that I learned 20 odd years ago.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 10:29:15 AM »
18-22 games.
No injuries
Consistency.
Take his game higher and become an important part of his midfield.
Show some defensive qualities
Better decision making.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 12:34:35 PM »

pppffftt hes currently 186cm and 78kg  hes bloody scrawny. 85kg  would be ideal  but boy hes a way from that.
yep i know a few who would indeed say hes underweight.
I understand he's still underweight, but to think he requires another 7-9kg is wrong. Also putting it all on in one go can lead to other potentially career affecting injuries.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 02:09:21 PM »
I was hoping to see him hit the 80+ Kg mark for 2010 but that hasn't happened

So..........ummmmmmm.....

I tihnk it is actually going to be an interesting year for young Andy as there seems to be alot of blokes competing for the same roles (which is a good thing BTW).

His lack of size continues to be a worry for mine

I reckon 15 odd games and nil injuries would be a reasonable return IMV

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »
I was hoping to see him hit the 80+ Kg mark for 2010 but that hasn't happened

So..........ummmmmmm.....

I tihnk it is actually going to be an interesting year for young Andy as there seems to be alot of blokes competing for the same roles (which is a good thing BTW).

His lack of size continues to be a worry for mine

I reckon 15 odd games and nil injuries would be a reasonable return IMV
I hardly consider a players weight listing on the club website to be the definitive answer on his playing weight anyway. Obviously it will contantly fluctuate, we don't know when the measurement was taken and updated and chances are its not right anyway. Given its preseason it should still be going up.

They had a competition on Nova to guess Ben Cousin's weight last year and it was a few kg off what was up on the website. It was even a fair bit off what Ben said his usual playing weight is during the season.

the claw

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 08:57:54 PM »

It might pay to consult a medical professional before offering up these type of comments.

An excellent starting reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteitis_pubis

In particular:
Causes

The cause of osteitis pubis is excessive physical strain on the pubic bone, usually caused by the increasing rigorous demands of competitive sport, particularly soccer and football. In such sports, actions such as running, jumping, kicking and rapid changes of direction cause the abdominal and groin muscles to exercise a pulling or traction force on the pubic bone, which in some cases can result in excessive stress and inflammation. In Australian football this risk is increased by repeated jarring of the pelvis caused when players come down from the high leaps required by the game, and also by tackling from other players. This also forces the pain to arise when performing kicking motions.

In the pre-antibiotic era it was an occasional complication of pelvic surgery and in particular of retropubic prostatectomy.

Apart from an incident occurring during rigorous competitive sport or resulting from pregnancy, osteitis pubis can be categorized into two main groups:

Overload (or training errors).

* Exercising on hard surfaces, like concrete.
    * Exercising on uneven ground.
    * Beginning an exercise program after a long lay-off period.
    * Increasing exercise intensity or duration too quickly.
    * Exercising in worn out or ill fitting shoes.

Biomechanical Inefficiencies

* Faulty foot and body mechanics and gait disturbances.
    * Poor running or walking mechanics.
    * Tight, stiff muscles in the hips, groin and buttocks.
    * Muscular imbalances.
    * Leg length differences.

Or even more pertinent:
Incidence

The incidence of osteitis pubis among Australian footballers has increased sharply over the past decade. There are believed to be three reasons for this:

* The increasing physical demands of Australian rules football. As the game has become more professionalised, with players becoming full-time athletes, such factors as running speed, kicking length, jumping and tackling have all increased, placing increasing stress on the pubic region.
    * The increasing hardness of the surfaces of football grounds. Grounds are better drained than in the past, and the game is increasingly played in roofed stadiums in which the grounds receive no rain. Australian football evolved as a winter game played on soft, muddy grounds, and modern surfaces have made muscle and bone injuries more common.
    * The increasing demand for size and strength among footballers. This has led young players to concentrate on building muscle mass before their bodies are fully mature. The additional strain that highly developed abdominal muscles place on the pubic bone explains the higher prevalence of osteitis pubis on young players. Some develop the condition while still playing school-level football.

cheers for that. im sure i read somewhere that op occurs due to the neglect to build up small mimor muscles while building up the larger ones. im always pleased to learn something and be shown the error of my ways.