Author Topic: Tigers plan to be top Victorian club (Age)  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tigers plan to be top Victorian club (Age)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 04:39:18 PM »
Problem is that all clubs are taking baby steps of improvement so if that's all we're aspiring for then we'll still remain behind the others.
Nothing wrong with setting aspirational goals, better to set high goals and just fall short than easy goals that you only just meet.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
i just do not understand how Richmond is $4 Million in debt?

can somebody please explain?

what is the point of sending a Financial Report stating that revenue has made a profit, but now Richmond are $4 Million in debt?

My Opinion:

3 times in five years - possibly!

2010 - ummmmmm
2011 - hmmmm
2012 - possibly
2013 - should be
2014 - have to be

75,000 members is a lot! but i think that if Richmond make the finals once (between 2010-2012) our membership will sky-rocket.

the targets/goals are big, but good!

i was thinking that "what happened to being quiet?" but Gale has said, members will know of our plan.

so yes, something has leaked!

Melbourne i heard have something like 150 wins in 10 years.

15 wins per year for Melbourne, good luck!

:)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »
balls out go hard 75k Tigers on top, nice one centurion  :gotigers
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »
Is there a link to melbourne's ambition of an average of 15 wins per year for the next 10 years??
 :thatsgold :ROTFL
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »

what is the point of sending a Financial Report stating that revenue has made a profit, but now Richmond are $4 Million in debt?

torch, there is a massive difference in making a profit and having a debt. Debt relates to monies owed to outside parties

There are a few parts to the financial report you speak of. The 2 main parts are 1/ Income Statement (P&L) and the Balance Sheet (Assets/Liabilities)

Profit is generated when you your revenues are greater than your expenses - just like you make a loss if your expenses are greater than your revenue - that's your Income Statement.

The $4 million debt is recorded in the balance sheet and it is a liability - it is made up of the loans the Club has that are yet to be repaid. Loans don't get recorded as revenues. They are held in the balance sheet until they are repaid. That is what the debt is. As the loans get repaid the debt reduces. Currently the club has loans with their bankers that they are repaying.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 06:22:52 PM »
The five-year written plan

my fav. part of the article

:cheers

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 06:38:55 PM »

torch, there is a massive difference in making a profit and having a debt. Debt relates to monies owed to outside parties

There are a few parts to the financial report you speak of. The 2 main parts are 1/ Income Statement (P&L) and the Balance Sheet (Assets/Liabilities)

Profit is generated when you your revenues are greater than your expenses - just like you make a loss if your expenses are greater than your revenue - that's your Income Statement.

The $4 million debt is recorded in the balance sheet and it is a liability - it is made up of the loans the Club has that are yet to be repaid. Loans don't get recorded as revenues. They are held in the balance sheet until they are repaid. That is what the debt is. As the loans get repaid the debt reduces. Currently the club has loans with their bankers that they are repaying.

ok, so our Loans are for? the Development?

my understanding of the Balance Sheet, is that both your Assets and Liabilities have to be balanced as at a date.

or is it that, when the Loan-Repayments are paid, they are recorded at that amount instead of $4 Million?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Is there a link to melbourne's ambition of an average of 15 wins per year for the next 10 years??
 :thatsgold :ROTFL
It was mentioned on the radio by Robbo from memory. Last Friday the Dees had their spruiking day where they invited all the media down to sell a 10-year plan/vision. Part of that plan was to end up being the dominate team of the next decade with 150 wins. 150 wins over 10 years is 15 wins per year and that average is meant to include the next couple of years where they will get nowhere near that kind of average. Talk about kidding themselves  :rollin. 15 wins equals finishing top 4 every year for the next decade  :nope. Not even great sides like Brisbane and Geelong have got close to pulling that kind of record off yet the back-to-back wooden spooners have it as their main aim  :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

the claw

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 09:11:35 PM »
Vision is correct. The goals are high but can be achieved- especially those revolving membership numbers. Get on board.
what based on 1mil spectators in 72. chooses to ignore we clearly are no longer a top 4 side. we have had 38 yrs of  mediocrity  since 74 even if you throw in the 80 ptemiership. ignores the fact this club has  probably lost 3 generations  od supporters. ignores the fact that many supporters  from the early 70s are 2ft under. and because of mediocrity not replaced.
you dont get 75k supporters because they are in the woodwork you get them because you build over a long period of time.

its a myth  that we are a top 4 club, or even potentially a top 4 club  with a massive QUICK membership turnaround. the simple fact is we arent. we havent been for a long while.

you want 75k memebership well we had better go thru several generations of success first.

look its good to set the bar but to publicly  prattle poo is crazy.  have they learnt nothing from the wallace yrs.

Ramps

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 09:28:39 PM »
What did you expect in a plan, for gale to come out and say... poo, we're effen hopeless in in 5 years we'll be happy to have 35,000 members and be slumming it on the verge of the 8.

Hope always dies last, and Brendon Gale is selling some hope. I agree with him but all these things are matters of opinion anyway.

the claw

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
we dont need hope  or idiots bullshitting  all we need is the truth. its all we have ever needed.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 09:42:17 PM »

my understanding of the Balance Sheet, is that both your Assets and Liabilities have to be balanced as at a date.

or is it that, when the Loan-Repayments are paid, they are recorded at that amount instead of $4 Million?

The loans are a legacy of the Casey presidency where we tried to spend our way to success spending money we didn't have on Spud's footy department so we could pay 100% of the salary cap basically  :-\. The redevelopment was mostly funded by the Local, State and Federal Governments plus a $1m or so from the Club itself.

The loan repayments are an expense. It's an weekly/monthly/annual cost. The actual total amount owing on the loan is a liability. The amount owning  depends on whether the loan repayments exceed the interest charges or not. If the repayments are greater than the interest charges then the total amount owning on the loan goes down; if the repayments are less than the interest charges or the club askes for more money from the bank then the total amount owning on the loan goes up. Currently the liability (amount owning on the loan) is $4m. If the club repays more than the interest charges over the following year then in next year's financial report the liability (amount owning on the loan) will be less than $4m and how much less will depend on how much we have repaid off the loan in that 12 month period to October 31, 2010.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »

I am not sure what you mean in that 2nd sentence torch.

In answer to your first question - the loans - on the balance sheet these are refered to "Interest Bearing Liabilities" and they are made up of a number of things. The Club has a borrowing arrangement (facilities) with their Bankers. Like any business the club would use the borrowing facilities for a number of things - like bank overdraft, short term bills (loans), and likely the loan they took out to build the pool and office some 6-7 years ago. Does the current loan amount include anything for the new development? I would think not as the club has recevied all those grants but they may have had to fund something wiull they waited for the grant money to come in.

The Club's Balance Sheet gives the Club's Asset/Liability position @ 31/10/2009 = balance date. All the Asset accounts are balanced and so to are the liability accounts. The Clubs blance sheet is very strong as it shows a net assets position of over $10mil (Total assets less Total liabilities). However, despite the net asset position $4 mil debt remains because it is a liability that still requires payment

In answer to your final bit... how it would be recorded...

As example the balance sheet says the "Interest Bearing LIabilities" is $4.9 mil at 31/10/2009.

If in the next 12 months the club repays $1.9 mil of that and doesn't borrow anything futher then when the next balance sheet is issued the "Interest Bearing Liabilities" would be recorded as $3.0 mil (4.9 less 1.9)

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 10:02:14 PM »
Vision is correct. The goals are high but can be achieved- especially those revolving membership numbers. Get on board.
what based on 1mil spectators in 72. chooses to ignore we clearly are no longer a top 4 side. we have had 38 yrs of  mediocrity  since 74 even if you throw in the 80 ptemiership. ignores the fact this club has  probably lost 3 generations  od supporters. ignores the fact that many supporters  from the early 70s are 2ft under. and because of mediocrity not replaced.
you dont get 75k supporters because they are in the woodwork you get them because you build over a long period of time.

its a myth  that we are a top 4 club, or even potentially a top 4 club  with a massive QUICK membership turnaround. the simple fact is we arent. we havent been for a long while.

you want 75k memebership well we had better go thru several generations of success first.

look its good to set the bar but to publicly  prattle poo is crazy.  have they learnt nothing from the wallace yrs.

it's not a myth at all when you consider the scale of crowds that we haveconsitently drawn over the years...there is an assumption that our performances will improve...and by virtue of that we will once again crack 1mn...heck we havent been far off it in recent years and look where we;ve been...have some substance to your rebuttals rather than pure nonsense
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:13 PM »
The 75k wishlist is not only a message to our 400k supporter base or whatever it is but probably also a subtle hint to AD and AA that our home ground is the MCG and not the Docklands and that we don't want to be away games at Kardinia Park when other clubs don't. A big membership base also appeals to tv networks and sponsors.