Author Topic: Winning Together - The path ahead for the Richmond Football Club  (Read 13308 times)

jackstar is back again

Re: Winning Together - The path ahead for the Richmond Football Club
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 11:55:47 PM »
will say one thing though, there is no comparison between B. Gale and S. Wright ::)

obviously in the public relations area, but i've heard on good authority that wright was a very good operator and with much respected busness acumen

Your making it sound like he was a dud and i know that wasn't the case. What are you implying?

Amazing how posters put words into my mouth, laughable in fact.
Benny Gale is a driver, and he will drive the RFC .
S. Wright wasnt a driver , although he received some good results, he was a CEO in a period of poor performance and failure, FACT !

tony_montana

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 12:22:59 AM »
will say one thing though, there is no comparison between B. Gale and S. Wright ::)

obviously in the public relations area, but i've heard on good authority that wright was a very good operator and with much respected busness acumen

Your making it sound like he was a dud and i know that wasn't the case. What are you implying?

S. Wright wasnt a driver , although he received some good results, he was a CEO in a period of poor performance and failure, FACT !

that's fine,

sensitive aren't we?
I wasn't putting putting words in your mouth, just asking for clarification bc the rolleyes seemed to imply something derogatory and coming from you though it was a reasonable assumption on my behalf.  :shh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 02:01:46 AM »
I would take 3 flags in next ten years

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 02:23:34 AM »

As was Leon Daphne

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 07:11:47 AM »

But you do have a long history of bagging the guy Jack.  And in the areas he was responsible for as CEO he didn't fail, he succeeded.  Benny may step outside those areas and influence the club more as a whole but Wright didn't fail, something you struggle to acknowledge.

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 08:04:20 AM »
Last year Cuz excited me and who would of thought this year it's Benny Gale !!! :bow :gobdrop

jackstar is back again

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 08:19:06 AM »

But you do have a long history of bagging the guy Jack.  And in the areas he was responsible for as CEO he didn't fail, he succeeded.  Benny may step outside those areas and influence the club more as a whole but Wright didn't fail, something you struggle to acknowledge.

Well, my opinion is that the place has been very poorly run for the past 5-10 years.
Who do you want to the blame, the boot studder ????? LOL
Might also say nice people dont necessary get the results needed..
For the first time for a long long time, the club has some sort of direction which is being driven by the CEO..
No one has driven Richmond in any direction in the past 10 years, besides going around in circles ::)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 08:58:05 AM »

Well, my opinion is that the place has been very poorly run for the past 5-10 years.
Who do you want to the blame, the boot studder ????? LOL
Might also say nice people dont necessary get the results needed..
For the first time for a long long time, the club has some sort of direction which is being driven by the CEO..
No one has driven Richmond in any direction in the past 10 years, besides going around in circles ::)

A CEO's prime responsibility is to turn the aims of the board from vision to reality and in this Wright was mostly successful.  He was in the chair for 5 years during which time the club made good advances in most off-field areas so if you want to play the blame game for lack of on-field success then it certainly wasn't his fault.  He had no responsibility for making key football department appointment and management decisions - this rested above him in the hands of certain board members.  You are right that nice people don't necessarily get the results needed but this has no relevance when assessing if someone succeeded or failed.  The fact that the direction is being initiated and driven by the current CEO screams out one thing loudly to me - the board are failing in their role.  Unless however, the vision is a collaborative effort between both parties in which case you can say that although Wright did a good job, Gale is doing an outstanding job, above and beyond the requirements of his role.  Of course, all this is just guesswork isn't it, because until Gale has been in the job for a while and tangible results can be measured and seen then he is really just another spruiker.

And before you feel the need to jump on me as a 'Gale basher', I think his appointment as CEO is the single best decision this club has made in 10 years.  I think he will be very successful and oversee a period of unprecedented change and improvement in our club.  But that doesn't mean Wright was unsuccessful or no good, just that I think Gale will be all that and much more.

tony_montana

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »
great post smokey

jackstar is back again

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 09:07:11 AM »
You make me laugh smokey.
You say quote "" A CEO prime responsability is to turn the aims of the board from Vision to reality and in this Wright was mostly successfull.""

Now Aprils fools day is still 3 weeks away. :lol

The club has endured a very poor 5 years.
The way they handled Wallace was poor.
The Miller saga was poor.
Could go on and on but wont.
Lets move forward

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 10:05:36 AM »
What garbage. Wright took over as CEO when the club was millions in debt and making multi million dollar losses each year.
He's restored stability to the finances of the club and, thanks to him, Gale has a solid foundation to work with moving forward.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:03 AM »

On-field only - not Wright's responsibility.

Managed by March - not Wright's responsibility.

Please do - nothing you have said yet is valid.

Lets move forward

I have - you I'm not so sure.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 11:29:48 AM »

On-field only - not Wright's responsibility.

Please do - nothing you have said yet is valid.

Lets move forward

I have - you I'm not so sure.

Well well geniuses, LOL
What does the CEO do ?????
Wallace thing was handled by March, why ?
The CEO is a paid employee of the RFC you know, March isnt  :banghead
This is truely amazing.
The CEO signs off on all employees at the RFC, some who were well overpaid and didnt do a good job and are no longer there, either is the CEO I might add. :banghead

Offline The Glove

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »
You make me laugh smokey.
You say quote "" A CEO prime responsability is to turn the aims of the board from Vision to reality and in this Wright was mostly successfull.""

Now Aprils fools day is still 3 weeks away. :lol

Lets move forward

Wright and March have done most things right.  2004 saw us with massive debt and an overblown football budget (thanks Greg) despite coming last and losing the last 14 games.

Casey should have been voted out then but the tiger ferals bought the Miller messiah mesage and casey got back in "on his record!".

Casey was hands off and delegated the footy stuff to supposed experts, operating in the same way he ran his nursing homes and property deals.

Casey fell for the Miller spin and bet on the wrong expert.  Greg landing on his feet after being relegated to being a Hammerhead played his way back in to AFL and started putting his finger in every pie.  He promised and delivered Nafan and Kane and nudge nudge wink wnk hooked Terry.  Wallace chose us not because of any unfinished business or because we had a better list but because Miller said;  "Dont worry about Casey - you've got a five year deal.  all's sweet - you run the show as you want.  I've got your back. " 

Casey had to go and as soon as Wright and March got in, they worked together to wrest control back of the club off Miller and Wallace who could gamble as much as they wanted as it was most likely going to be their last footy gig.

From bringing in Free, Cameron, promoting Jackson, conducting the review, the aim was to rebuild the club as a professional unit and not being run off hunches by Miller off the smell of an oily rag.  Wright did magnifiently in restoring financial control firstly and then bringing in funds and two developments at Punt Road and Craigeburn.

Miller had to go so as to make Wallace accountable and that was handled brilliantly.  The press will always try to spin a bad richmond rabble story but the timing and mode of Miller's demise was excellent.  As bloodless and efficient as it was ever going to get.

Wallace started getting antsy with Greg gone and realised he needed real results not spin, but spin was mostly all he had together with a few hail mary plays.  Richmond worked on its blueprint for the future which needed unity from president and coach.  Wallace had a chance to conform and perform.  It was not to be.  Wallace's departure was handled brilliantly.  Richmond never wavered or played to the press' timetable who kept jumping at shadows declaring our coach dead prematurely.  They were also as decent and fair as they could be to Wallace.  Negotiated a smooth departure mid season by consent.

Process for the new coach also exclellent -Again never spooked by the media and ran its own agenda - contrast this with North who were prostituting themsleves to every handsome stranger who walked by and then trumpeted poaching Scott off us even though he had already been excluded from our final 4.

To the present Gale has come in and lifted the CEO profile although in relation to getting things done Steven Wright was great.

New coach, new assistants, new players - young off field young on field with lots of ambition and talent and united around an dentifiable plan on field and off.

Fantastic stuff and credit to March for the smooth and deliberate way it has evolved.

Will we succeed from here on in? - Who knows but we've been able to poach some of the very best talent around like Lade, Leppitch, Hartley and our development and strategic coaches.

We focused on skilled and smart as requirements for our recruits and Hardwick will require or instill the necessary competitiveness.

For the first time in ages I feel as if the RFC is in the game and not some half ar$ed operation.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 12:27:17 PM »

Well well geniuses, LOL
What does the CEO do ?????
Wallace thing was handled by March, why ?
The CEO is a paid employee of the RFC you know, March isnt  :banghead
This is truely amazing.
The CEO signs off on all employees at the RFC, some who were well overpaid and didnt do a good job and are no longer there, either is the CEO I might add. :banghead

If you think that Wright had anything to do with the machinations of hiring and firing of either Miller or Wallace then you have much less idea of what goes on at the club than what you would have us believe.  A signature on a piece of paper?  Maybe.  And that's about as far his involvement goes - the board were the sole hirers and firers of those two and the whole process was managed by March because he made it his call.