Author Topic: Winning Together - The path ahead for the Richmond Football Club  (Read 13189 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Winning Together - The path ahead for the Richmond Football Club
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »
People here build up Wright for doing a good job. ::)
My dealings with him say different.
Nice bloke though
Sorry, but thats the way I see it .
Never seen him address the media in the way that Mr Gale does.

Most club CEO's don't address the media the way Gale does.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 02:18:32 PM »
what is rubbish?

Read it as you calling Wright a dud. If I've misconstrued it I apologise.

u have a little, i left a subtle hint at what i meant

he may be an intelligent man and very good with business, but footy business is different , he was not the best man for the job in hindsight and most off all he probably had too many distractions in the locker rooms  ;)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 03:14:32 PM »
Think Wright did a great job, particularly after the fiasco of Campbell, however over the last couple of years there has been a slight uneasiness in my opinion of Wright's performance.
There didn't seem to be a lot of quality in some areas that were directly below him, mainly in merchandising, membership and some commercial opportunities. This continued over his entire period in office
Welcome to OER RT.
Your post seems a bit contradictory to me - can you tell me how those areas got worse during the last couple of years?

Smokey, I am not saying these areas got worse over the last couple of years, only that my uneasinesss increased as these critical areas did not seem to improve in line with improving finances.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »
Think Wright did a great job, particularly after the fiasco of Campbell, however over the last couple of years there has been a slight uneasiness in my opinion of Wright's performance.
There didn't seem to be a lot of quality in some areas that were directly below him, mainly in merchandising, membership and some commercial opportunities. This continued over his entire period in office
Welcome to OER RT.
Your post seems a bit contradictory to me - can you tell me how those areas got worse during the last couple of years?

Smokey, I am not saying these areas got worse over the last couple of years, only that my uneasinesss increased as these critical areas did not seem to improve in line with improving finances.

Fair enough.  I think that history will probably end up being a bit unkind to him because if the Benny Gale show succeeds as I expect then Wright's achievements will tend to pale by comparison.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2010, 05:01:58 PM »
Nice bloke though

Most club CEO's don't address the media the way Gale does.

Alot do though.
Even the Geelong bloke goes to court with them

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 05:36:07 PM »

Alot do though.

Disagree.  You hardly ever hear from any of them unless there is a reason for it.  Benny Gale has embarked on a mission borne out of his playing allegiance and passion for the club which surpasses the expectation of the role that applies to other CEO's, hence his recent public mutterings.  That is most definitely not the norm for most CEO's who you only usually hear when there is a club management issue that has been raised.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2010, 06:02:02 PM »
Nice bloke though

Gee it's hard not to think he did good job Jack when you consider the amount of work he did to get all that funding for the Punt Road redevelopment as well doing the Craigieburn deal.

People seem to forget that he was the driving force behind lobbying the federal govt for the extra funding (approx $7-8 mil) for thr Indegenious Learning Centre. That lobbying took the money available for redeveloping Punt Road from $10mil to $20mil (once the Fed Govt came to the party the state govt kicked in more $$$ too)

Was he front and centre in the media no but at the time I'd argue it wasn't what we needed. We needed someone to get the business back on track and he did that - the financial results clearly show that.

Alot do though.

Disagree.  You hardly ever hear from any of them unless there is a reason for it.  Benny Gale has embarked on a mission borne out of his playing allegiance and passion for the club which surpasses the expectation of the role that applies to other CEO's, hence his recent public mutterings.  That is most definitely not the norm for most CEO's who you only usually hear when there is a club management issue that has been raised.

Agree smokey

You never hear from some of the other Club's CEOs unless - they have something to say. Then you have others who just cannot keep out of the media (Rocca & Swann anyone). How many people would know the names of the CEOs of Sydney, Freo, St Kilda, Hawthorn, Adelaide, Essendon (now Jackson is gone)?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »

Was he front and centre in the media no but at the time I'd argue it wasn't what we needed. We needed someone to get the business back on track and he did that - the financial results clearly show that.

To be fair to Wright, IMO this is the key point in his tenure. When he came on board as captain the good ship Richmond was heading at a rate of knots on to the reefs with huge debts holes, poor processes and few staff (competent or otherwise). To his eternal credit and our gratitude he managed to stop the money leaks and start to turn things around, like turning an ocean liner.

The question will never be answered but would we have got someone as qualified as Gale without Wright having done the heavy lifting first?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »
So it seems then that wright was the man to fix the crap and get us to a position where we were financially sound(ish) , but now we have someoene else to hopfully take advantage of that and take us forward.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15:26 PM »
So it seems then that wright was the man to fix the crap and get us to a position where we were financially sound(ish) , but now we have someoene else to hopfully take advantage of that and take us forward.

That's just the way I see it. Could be totally wrong of course. Seems reasonably common in other business circles where different personality types for different business cycles.
It was an interesting point of view that a while ago someone put forward the idea that one type of coach was required for rebuilding and a different type for putting the final polish on to win premierships.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2010, 08:09:40 AM »
Alot do though.

You forgotten already jackie?
We had a media whore as our face of the club with the man of too many hats not far behind.

Wright may not have been perfect but agree with others that he did a damn fine job in very tough circumstances.
He was was exceptional in my dealings with him & I won't hear a bad word about the guy.
In fact I am VERY appreciative of his efforts to turn our club around from the financial mess it was in.

Also agreed with smokey and cyclops that not too many CEO's say much at all.
Benny is if anything a deviation from the norm.
He's acting more like he's the Club President.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 08:38:26 AM by Mr Magic »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2010, 08:27:36 AM »
Wright may not have been perfect but agree with others that he did a damn fine job in very tough circumstances.
He was was exceptional in my dealings with him & I won't hear a bad word about the guy.
In fact I am VERY appreciative of his efforts to turn our club around from the financial mess it was in.

Ditto Mr Magic
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

jackstar is back again

« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2010, 09:05:50 AM »
what you all fail to realise is this.
All of the the AFL CEO doing a fairly good , although some better than others.
Take Brian Cook for instance..
He was the one who recommended to the Geelong Board and to Frank Costa in 1999 that Mark Thompson be appointed  Senior Coach of Geelong.
We need a CEO who not only does a good job but is THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY,.
I believe we could have that now with Benny Gale :thumbsup
We need people at the club who are driven by success, not just there to do a good job

TigerTimeII

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2010, 09:20:40 AM »
He was the one who recommended to the Geelong Board and to Frank Costa in 1999 that Mark Thompson be appointed  Senior Coach of Geelong.
We need people at the club who are driven by success, not just there to do a good job

spot on JIBA!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2010, 10:09:57 AM »

What you fail to realise Jack is that we have all been saying this all along.  What no-one is agreeing with you on is that Wright did an average or poor job - he did a very good job under very trying circumstances and deserves to have his accomplishments acknowledged, not whacked.  At this stage Gale can potentially do a lot better.