Author Topic: Mike and Healy want Richmond to recruit 24-28 year olds  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Mike and Healy want Richmond to recruit 24-28 year olds
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »
Idiotic idea , of course if we did this we would be trashed a few years later for "short term fix" by these same people..

Exactly HB, they would be front and centre in the 'bagging out' queue.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 10:13:57 PM »
Well I am afraid to some degree I agree, during the pre-season draft and the trade period I called for our recruiting to at least try to inject some more experienced players to our team. Suffice to say I was shot to pieces..... again.

I did not say to give away early draft picks but I firmly believe we do not have enough experienced (decent) players at the club to cope with the nurturing of our youth.

Fev, Hall, McGuire, Seaby, Jolly, Ball, etc..... the list goes on and on, but no one sees it that way. You can sit and say rebuild all you want but if in the end all we have at the club is inexperienced youth we are further away..... a lot further away than we think.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 10:17:20 PM »

Suffice to say I was shot to pieces..... again.

Got a complex WAT?   ;D

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 10:40:15 PM »

Suffice to say I was shot to pieces..... again.

Got a complex WAT?   ;D

Only on this forum, I go ok on the others though...... I think :thumbsup

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

jackstar is back again

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »
we are like an Ocean Crusier , without a captain, with out a Navigator and we are just doing laps of Port Phillip Bay.

Jack...what mature players would target from other clubs ?

I aint talking about the ""Kent Kingsleys "' or the Paul Hudsons of this world. :banghead
Major problem we have is that we have very little leadership at the club. combined with players who are intraverted, this is a real issue in ateam enviroment.
I like the way that Brisbane recruited a guy like Staker.
We need players who can lead by example and show as they way. Very hard to teach if you haven got a teacher.
We need players to make there teammates walk tall, it aint going to happen at Punt Road with the current playing group

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
we are like an Ocean Crusier , without a captain, with out a Navigator and we are just doing laps of Port Phillip Bay.

I aint talking about the ""Kent Kingsleys "' or the Paul Hudsons of this world. :banghead
Major problem we have is that we have very little leadership at the club. combined with players who are intraverted, this is a real issue in ateam enviroment.
We need players who can lead by example and show as they way. Very hard to teach if you haven got a teacher.
We need players to make there teammates walk tall, it aint going to happen at Punt Road with the current playing group

You might want to go and dig that thread up I started on Staker Jack, I was gunned down against a wall for even suggesting he come to the club. Look at him now, looked great all pre-season and in the first game, certainly better than we we offered up in the ruck and forward. I agree, we need some of these players to educate the youth, we wen't to young IMO and it's put us back even further.

"Rucks:

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 10:57:28 PM »
Judd was the one we needed.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 07:27:33 AM »
I don't agree with Mike & Gerard

However, just on what Jack was alluding to, if I was going to go for 24-28 Year olds (and I am against it) I'd look at say a Stanton from Essendon or a Boyd from the Doggies as much for their leadership qualities as anything else 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:24:33 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 07:58:41 AM »
Only problem with their horsecrap theory is that half-decent 24 to 28 year olds rarely appear in the draft and applying their thinking it would take us 10+ years of drafting these types to make the difference they think we need.  I honestly thought those 2 had more brains.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 08:21:19 AM »
Obviously we don't want to make the mistake of picking up other teams rejects again. And similarly, I reckon 24-28 is getting a bit long in the tooth.
But there may be merit in scouring the local leagues for more 20-22 year olds, who've been competing against men, and are themselves more physically developed. I believe Webberley and Nason came from this sort of background.
That's quicker than putting 2-4 years of development into an 18 yr old, but at the same time isn't burdening us with an ageing list.   

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 09:00:50 AM »
A lot of people seemed to have been swept up in Barlow-mania.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 09:36:50 AM »
Judd was the one we needed.
Not for what it would have cost us he wasn't

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:14 PM »
A lot of people seemed to have been swept up in Barlow-mania.

It's a little more than just Barlow-mania imo.
Last year there was Broughton from Freo, Anthony from the Kangas, Mumford from Geelong, even Nahas from us, and more that i cannot think at the moment, that have come into the AFL system at an older age and made an impact straight away. I think what the artical is saying is we need to find players from other leagues ect that may have been over looked when they were 18/19 that can bring hardness, leadership and spark into our side to be able to get some of the young boys up and about. Not hacks from other AFL clubs that cannot get a game. Massive difference!

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 09:51:33 PM »

Staker is a muppett.

What the hell is Cousins at the club if he is not this leadership guru destined to follow from his playing career to a development coaching gig.

the claw

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 10:50:59 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but is the recruitment of 24-28 year olds called taking a "short cut".
not if you are prioritising and utilising your nd picks especially your early ones.

the rfc over the yrs has far to often ignored this and thus the future and gone for the quick fix.
i would think trading early picks for nearly all clubs is nowadays taboo. unless of course you are in a position to challenge for at least top 4.

its about a balance and the rfc has never ever got the balance right.