Author Topic: Mike and Healy want Richmond to recruit 24-28 year olds  (Read 3430 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The generation game (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Jon Anderson in today's Herald-Sun has the argument for picking up 20-somethings from state leagues...

Clinton Jones - South Fremantle B&F 2005 and 2006 (premiership year). 3rd in Sandover 2006.
Harry Taylor
Liam Anthony
Greg Broughton
Michael Barlow
Matt Priddis - 2006 Sandover winner
Aaron Davey
Danyle Pearce
Brett Kirk - didn't debut until 22 y.o.

In days gone by, before the under-18 competition, it was common enough for a recruit to be invited down after a couple of good years in the bush. Greg Williams, believe it or not, was twice overlooked before Geelong gave him a chance at age 20 in 1984. He won the Cats' best-and-fairest the next year, and the Brownlow Medal the year after that. Leon Baker was 27 when recruited by Essendon from Swan Districts in 1984. Later that year, he played a key role in the Bombers' come-from-behind flag win.

Full article at:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-generation-game/story-e6frf9jf-1225849037044

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Mike and Healy want Richmond to recruit 24-28 year olds
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2010, 12:28:12 PM »
Considering we've picked up King, Nahas, Roberts, Webberley & Nason from outside the U18 competition, it looks like we're not the only ones following this path.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2010, 02:50:43 PM »
good news - we should be able to come 9th again in the not too distant future  8) 8)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 08:28:40 AM »
If ever there was an argument for and against this topic have a look at good old Norf and the Dawks.

While Norf will outplace us on the ladder this year quiet simply in the future they are shot ducks, they traded away good draft picks for slightly above average footballers that didn't get them anywhere.  With their better older players retiring and the compromised drafts they will be down the bottom for quiet an extended time.

On the other hand ask the Dawks how they went by placing their faith in the draft.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 11:40:55 AM »
good news - we should be able to come 9th again in the not too distant future  8) 8)

by the time we're good enough to finish 9th there will be a top 9 and we'll end up finishing 10th! Then they'll call us tenthmond!!!!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

the claw

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 12:13:07 PM »
If ever there was an argument for and against this topic have a look at good old Norf and the Dawks.

While Norf will outplace us on the ladder this year quiet simply in the future they are shot ducks, they traded away good draft picks for slightly above average footballers that didn't get them anywhere. 

why do you say that? when both sides  have north 30 and richmond  28 players  who are still 22 or under including rookies.
 they have more first or second rnd picks on their list supposedly where all the quality is and they have a much better record on developing players and their recruiting record is better also.

also believe its a bit of a furphy that they have traded away all of their early picks over the yrs. 02 04 and 05 are the only  yrs in the last 10 where they have traded early picks away. in 02  they traded pick 13 for leigh brown but of set this, and this was a key   by getting pick 2  for an ageing carey.
02 shows us all how it should be done. they stayed in the first rnd, ironically they ended up with our pick 2. while trading for a type they thought they badly needed.

so many things come into it when looking to trade for players. where the list is at  how much depth are you challenging how much experience you have on the list. your structures quality  etc etc etc.
there is a right time and circumstance to trade for players.  in trading for players you must always keep one eye on the future.

to me one circumstance for a club in rebuild, who have cleaned out a lot of under performing older players, and  are left  with few experienced players on the  list.  its okay to go and get an experienced player or two as long as you take care of the long term first.and the players taken can lead teach and add to the team even if it is only in the short term.

your current circumstance and state of the list with all things considered determines how you go about drafting /trading.as your list grows and gets stronger so do the circumstances  and processes you may go thru.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:20:03 PM by the claw »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »
why would richmond chase 28 yoas ...

dangerfeild or boak sure but has kingsley, knobel etc. not shown that this is not the right path?   :-\ :'(