Author Topic: Tigers must find cash for Rookies!  (Read 1845 times)

PuntRdRoar

Tigers must find cash for Rookies!
« on: November 21, 2004, 11:52:34 AM »
After analysing our list, Its apparent we must find the cash to fully load up on our rookies list. Why? because when you see the list you see names like

thomas roach
andrew raines
alex gilmour
richard tambling
and danny meyer

5 high quality young kids- who have 1 thing in common> theyre all skinny and could have there careers stuffed because our club doesnt have enough big bodied monsters in the team where they can be developed with some confidence.

We should have taken Gibson atleast yesterday. Gibson and Pattison would have added enough body strength and size to compliment the runners, but alas we went for another runner in Dean Polo at 20. We must find the cash to fully utilise our rookie selections. Players like Kirkby, Toovey, Redden, Juniper and one or two others may be available. We must add size and strength immediately- and im not talking about 30yr olds in the PSD like McKee. Personally I think Toovey may be better than Kirkby...but getting both would be good. I still support my contention that Redden and Juniper are good players. I have already seen both players named in 2005 phantom drafts- yes sadly there are individuals who are starting to do these for next year where Redden is a top 10 and Juniper top 20.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers must find cash for Rookies!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 09:05:53 PM »
I agree RT.

I've been a big wrap for using the rookie list to our full advantage. If these kids who missed out would go first round next year then we should pick as many of them as we can get our hands on because if kids like Kirkby, Toovey, Redden and Juniper do show something then we can promote them to the senior list like we did with Moore and bypass missing out on them in next year's draft. It's money for jam!

I believe each rookie costs around $25K per year. If we can find Ty a new Club then we could easily afford a full compliment of rookies for 2005.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 09:17:10 PM »
Word around says 3 who weren't picked up in Saturday's draft have been invited to train with us.
Kirkby, Bain & Gilham.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 09:39:04 PM »
The problem for these kids such as Kirkby, Toovey, Redden and Juniper and a possible reason they were overlooked is they are a in-between size if they don't grow any taller. Not a KP but not a midfielder. We need KP players. 

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 10:16:04 PM »
thats actually a key point...theyre all 190-191. Not tall enough for key position and slightly to big or to slow for a midfield spot. still I want to see us get protection for our young kids. there all skinny and slight. Pattison on reflection fits in pretty well ...i just think we needed one more big monster. either we find one in the psd or we have to draft them next year. remember when bartlett started his youth policy...i do...i remember the chris pyms, greg hamiltons, matthew knights, tony frees, craig lamberts, stephen ryans and so on. Believe me those kids had some talent...but most were lost and lost quickly because we didnt have a structure on or off the field that protected them. We need to find 2 big guys and fast.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 03:47:20 PM »
The next most likely...
22 November, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au

10 names to watch out for in the National Bank's Pre-Season and Rookie Draft

Ruory Kirkby - Bendigo Pioneers
2 April 1986, 192cm, 80kg

Kirkby was the most surprisingly overlooked player in this year's National Bank's AFL Draft, as he was widely regarded as a top-30 selection. He will now be a key target either for the pre-season or rookie draft. A key defender/forward, Kirkby is terrific overhead and mobile for his size. He won All-Australian honours in this year's under-18 championships. Kirkby was also named in the 2004 TAC Cup team of the year.
Heath Grundy - Norwood
2 June 1986, 192cm, 92kg

Grundy was another key forward/defender expected to be taken in this year's draft, particularly after an outstanding under-18 carnival, where he too gained All-Australian honours. He kicked three goals and took 11 marks against Western Australian in the championships. An AIS/AFL Academy graduate, Grundy also impressed playing senior football for Norwood in the SANFL in 2003/04.

Danyle Pearce - Sturt
7 April 1986, 177cm, 68kg

Pearce had an outstanding Draft Camp, as he won the 20-metre sprint with a time of 2.79 seconds, while he also topped the agility run in just 7.79 seconds. Athletically, his results were the best performed at the championships. Possessing genuine pace, Pearce represented South Australia in the under-18 championships this year. Originally from a basketball background, Pearce is related to the Burgoyne brothers and Aaron Davey.

Ryan Bain - Oakleigh Chargers
7 January 1986, 184cm, 81kg

Bain represented Victoria Metropolitan in this year's championships, where he had an impressive carnival, while he was also named in the 2004 TAC Cup team of the year. He is a skilful midfielder with great speed, who consistently finds space and wins the football. He will be another player who will be sought after in the upcoming December drafts.

Ben Sharp - Oakleigh Chargers
10 July 1986, 187cm, 78kg

Aerobically terrific, Sharp was outstanding in the under-18 championships this year, when he kicked the winning goal against South Australia, in extra time, which helped give Victorian Metropolitan the title. He was also rewarded with All-Australian selection. An AIS/AFL Academy member, Sharp is a hard-running midfielder who is a fine linkman in play.

Jesse D.Smith - Calder Cannons
20 February 1986, 183cm, 82kg

He had a terrific season in 2004, representing Victoria Metropolitan in the under-18 championships, while he was rewarded with best-on-ground honours in this year's TAC Cup grand final win over Eastern Ranges. He notched up 34 disposals at the MCG on grand final day. Smith also won the Calder Cannons best-and-fairest award. He is not to be confused with new Kangaroos midfielder Jesse W.Smith

Eddie Betts - Calder Cannons
26 November 1986, 173cm, 75kg

Betts had an outstanding junior career, which included being named an All-Australian in the under-18 championships in 2003. He also represented Victoria Metropolitan in 2004. Betts was also a dual Calder Cannons premiership player in 2003/04. A small, crumbing forward with terrific pace, he has been compared in some circles as an Aaron Davey type of player, which could make him an interesting prospect in December.

Nick Becker - Calder Cannons
7 July 1986, 186cm, 78kg

Becker was a terrific performer in the Calder Cannons premiership victory over the Eastern Rangers this year, when he notched up 26 disposals. He is a disciplined midfielder, who possesses good pace, agility and a terrific work ethic. Becker is also a strong mark and a penetrating kick. He attended this year's Draft Camp and was another who will be sought after in December.

Beau Wilkes - Claremont
20 March 1986, 194cm, 91kg

A strong marking forward, particularly in contested situations, Wilkes has a terrific work rate for a player of his size. He represented Western Australia at this year's under-18 championships and was a fine performer in his side's final match against Victoria Country, when he claimed 22 disposals and 12 marks. He was also named captain of the WAFL Colts team of the year in 2004.

Rowan Nayna - Dandenong Stingrays
3 May 1986, 181cm, 77kg

A quick, defender/midfielder, Nayna possesses a terrific vertical leap and runs the lines well. He represented Victoria Metropolitan at this year's under-18 championships, while he was also named in the TAC Cup team of the year. He continued to improve as the season progressed and he claimed a third placing in the Dandenong Stingrays best-and-fairest in 2004. He attended the recent Victorian state-based screening.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=178319
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 02:52:56 AM »
Ruory Kirkby - Bendigo Pioneers
2 April 1986, 192cm, 80kg

Heath Grundy - Norwood
2 June 1986, 192cm, 92kg

Beau Wilkes - Claremont
20 March 1986, 194cm, 91kg

Out of these three talls just going on size, Wilkes would be closer to playing in a KP. Whether he can play footy is another question. Kirkby and Grundy were higher up in phantom drafts that I saw than Wilkes.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 02:59:40 AM »
Kirkby
Smith
Wilks

Based on that available data, they would be my picks.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 11:35:34 AM »
I would go same three....but Wilkes, Kirkby, Smith. Smith was terrific in the TAC Grand Final. Great at Stoppages but we took enough midfielders already. Wilkes and Kirkby would be fine. Toovey if he is eligable may also turn out ok.