Author Topic: Terry Wallace takes a shot at Ben Cousins (Herald-Sun)  (Read 4812 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Terry Wallace takes a shot at Ben Cousins (Herald-Sun)
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:24:01 AM »
Terry Wallace takes a shot at Ben Cousins

* Jon Ralph
    * April 15, 2010

FORMER Richmond coach Terry Wallace has criticised the late-night antics of troubled Tiger Ben Cousins.

Wallace was the man who controversially drafted Cousins in 2008, but said yesterday the 31-year-old should know better than to involve himself in a late-night brawl.

He also revealed teammate Daniel Connors had a litany of warnings for poor behaviour.

It is believed Connors, who was suspended for eight weeks for drunken behaviour, might have had as many as eight warnings.

Wallace has kept a low profile since his sacking, but used a Fox Sports interview to discuss the club's plight.

He also backed the direction of Damien Hardwick, at Richmond, but said his successor did not have the list for the kind of slow build that took Hawthorn to a premiership.

Wallace says Cousins' fragile confidence means the club cannot afford to drop him to the VFL if his form remains modest.

"Why would Ben put himself in that situation late in an evening when you know someone is consuming that much alcohol," Wallace said.

"You try to get the player (Connors) out of there and if you can't control the player you try to get yourself out of there.

Wallace said he was unsure if Cousins still deserved his place in the side or should be replaced by a younger player.

"That's a fascinating question. One of the reasons he was there in the first place was the humanitarian side of it, to try to help this bloke who's been such a champion of the game to get himself right, but there is a football club to be run at the same time and the biggest problem he has is he is getting no continuity of football.

"I think it is (delicate). We all know he treads a really fine line with his emotions. The one thing he's been able to hang his cap on is that football is his life and his lifeblood. To take it away would be very difficult."

Wallace said supporters should back Hardwick, even if the club struggled this year.

"There were people asking for Alastair Clarkson's scalp after seven or eight matches and they were getting belted in matches. Damien has seen that, he's been at the coalface when Hawthorn turned it around. The question that needs to be asked is does Richmond have the list that Hawthorn was developing at that stage, and that's very doubtful."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallace-takes-a-shot-at-ben-cousins/story-e6frf9ix-1225853799312

Ox

Re: Terry Wallace takes a shot at Ben Cousins (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:05:31 AM »
LMAO@ Bagging the list he was waiting to judge to see whether he recruited well over the years. :clapping

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:04:03 AM »
Terry Wallace shouldn't take a pot shot at anything to do with Richmond. >:(

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:56 AM »
why does a player get 8 warnings? he should have been out the door a long time ago.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:07:17 AM »
why does a player get 8 warnings? he should have been out the door a long time ago.

or shamed publicly into doing something about the problem earlier.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:13:55 AM »

'it is believed'

No doubt exaggerated though I don't dispute Connors has probably been loose for some time. He looked well out of shape last year particularly.
I wonder if he was one of those 50/50 to be kept/cut at the end of 2009 that Dimma has talked about?

FNM

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 06:58:38 AM »
I wonder if he was one of those 50/50 to be kept/cut at the end of 2009 that Dimma has talked about?

No doubt, and he'll probably go on and become a good player elsewhere
All because we can't manage our players
If they had have got him help in the first place and done their duty, he might have changed his behaviour somewhat.
But if he hasn't after 8 warnings, that's mismanagement again - he should have been well and truly gone by now
Again, player mismanagement
When do management put their hand up or do we keep sacking coaches for bringing through a list that is physically and mentally weak.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:03:31 AM »

* Jon Ralph
    * April 15, 2010

FORMER Richmond coach Terry Wallace has criticised the late-night antics of troubled Tiger Ben Cousins.

Wallace was the man who controversially drafted Cousins in 2008, but said yesterday the 31-year-old should know better than to involve himself in a late-night brawl.

He also revealed teammate Daniel Connors had a litany of warnings for poor behaviour.

It is believed Connors, who was suspended for eight weeks for drunken behaviour, might have had as many as eight warnings.

Wallace has kept a low profile since his sacking, but used a Fox Sports interview to discuss the club's plight.

He also backed the direction of Damien Hardwick, at Richmond, but said his successor did not have the list for the kind of slow build that took Hawthorn to a premiership.

Wallace says Cousins' fragile confidence means the club cannot afford to drop him to the VFL if his form remains modest.

"Why would Ben put himself in that situation late in an evening when you know someone is consuming that much alcohol," Wallace said.

"You try to get the player (Connors) out of there and if you can't control the player you try to get yourself out of there.

Wallace said he was unsure if Cousins still deserved his place in the side or should be replaced by a younger player.

"That's a fascinating question. One of the reasons he was there in the first place was the humanitarian side of it, to try to help this bloke who's been such a champion of the game to get himself right, but there is a football club to be run at the same time and the biggest problem he has is he is getting no continuity of football.

"I think it is (delicate). We all know he treads a really fine line with his emotions. The one thing he's been able to hang his cap on is that football is his life and his lifeblood. To take it away would be very difficult."

Wallace said supporters should back Hardwick, even if the club struggled this year.

"There were people asking for Alastair Clarkson's scalp after seven or eight matches and they were getting belted in matches. Damien has seen that, he's been at the coalface when Hawthorn turned it around. The question that needs to be asked is does Richmond have the list that Hawthorn was developing at that stage, and that's very doubtful."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/terry-wallace-takes-a-shot-at-ben-cousins/story-e6frf9ix-1225853799312

terry, you believed that connors MIGHT have had 8 warnings??? FFS u were the senior coach and u're supposed to be on top of things but u think he MIGHT have had 8 warnings? great job you did, stop making accusations before getting the facts right.

also what ben did is called sticking by a mate and keeping him safe.  it's called being a good mate and teammate.  according to terry, once ben thinks connors had too much to drink, he ought to get out of there himself just so he wouldn't get into trouble.....yeah...great mate you are, it's ur selfishness that got the club into the state it is, trying to save your own job by topping up rather than rebuilding a list properly

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 07:43:37 AM »

also what ben did is called sticking by a mate and keeping him safe.  it's called being a good mate and teammate.

Disagree Peggles.  Ben did not stick by his teammate and keep him safe - he let him get to a state where he was out of control - a mate who has a history of getting out of control.  He watched and waited until it was way too late - that's not the mateship that is going to turn this club around.  Connors needed a mate to rein him in before midnight, while he was still capable of listening to reason and had a measure of self control - thats what a real teammate would have done.  And that's why the 3 amigos got 1 week.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:07:03 AM »

* Jon Ralph
    * April 15, 2010

Wallace has kept a low profile since his sacking.

Keep it that way Butt Head. Just STFU

Jackstar, can't you keep your mates under control?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 08:41:06 AM »
terry, you believed that connors MIGHT have had 8 warnings??? FFS u were the senior coach and u're supposed to be on top of things but u think he MIGHT have had 8 warnings? great job you did, stop making accusations before getting the facts right.

Seeing as Terry never spoke to the younger players, it's no wonder he has no idea.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

TigerTimeII

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 09:25:16 AM »
terry wallace knows where the west gate bridge is

so do us a favor and jump

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 09:32:36 AM »
No doubt, and he'll probably go on and become a good player elsewhere
All because we can't manage our players
If they had have got him help in the first place and done their duty, he might have changed his behaviour somewhat.

But if he hasn't after 8 warnings, that's mismanagement again - he should have been well and truly gone by now
Again, player mismanagement
When do management put their hand up or do we keep sacking coaches for bringing through a list that is physically and mentally weak.

First up 8 warnings ...please... warnings yes but 8 of them ...oops sorry we think it may have been 8

Also, I don't want go keep harping about this but as I have posted elsewhere. He was offered help by the club but at the end of the day he has to want to help himself.

Mismanagement pehaps; although I don't think so. Ultimately Connors needs to take responsibility for his idiotic behaviour
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

TigerTimeII

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 09:55:13 AM »
if its true he had 8 warnings then it is mismanagement

8 warnings lol, ridiiculous  shows they cant warn correctly

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »
8 warnings lol, ridiiculous  shows they cant warn correctly

Or it just shows Connors is the type of bloke which warnings mean nothing to, which is far more likely.  The bloke is just one of those d-heads who gets along with everyone but can't control himself.  Should be told he's off the grog for the rest of the year or he gets the sack.
EAT EM ALIVE!