Author Topic: Richmond looking at playing games in Hobart [merged]  (Read 15185 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond looking at playing games in Hobart [merged]
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 03:12:08 PM »
9 MCG Home games
2 Tasmania Home games or 1 Tas / 1 Darwin.

0 Etihad Home games.

Win-Win-Win.

Get it done RFC.

9 MCG home games

Can't see it in the short term
This condition was the same that Hawthorn used for playing home games at Launceston.
They aso negotiated that they would have all away games against MCG tenants at the MCG also, as its not uncommon for two teams who have the MCG as their home ground have the game moved to Etihad
No reason why we can't move our home Etihad games against interstate sides which are low drawing crowds anyway and pocket the cash.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »
We're just hanging our @rses our there hoping that the Tas government want to jump on board.

There's no other markets other than Tas and Darwin really now that GC17 and GWS are on the scene.

Sunny Coast, Central Qld, North Qld don't have the facilities. Canberra has been tried, no point pushing it further. Nowhere else in SA. Nowhere else in WA. Newcastle, Wollongong no chance. Wellington has a great facility (with yellow seats) but no chance of gaining any sort of appeal in NZ.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tasmania would welcome second AFL team (Age)
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2010, 10:11:05 PM »
Tasmania would welcome second AFL team
The Age
June 12, 2010 - 3:55PM

Tasmania will welcome a second AFL team playing home games in the state, but any newcomer would not receive government financial support.

While the state remains committed to the long-term goal of its own AFL side, Tasmania is set to host more games as the code expands to 18 teams over the next two years.

Tasmania is about to start renegotiating its successful multi-million dollar deal with Hawthorn, which expires at the end of next year.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou met on Friday with Tasmanian Premier David Bartlett.

While neither party would go into specifics about what was discussed in the meeting, the AFL have made it clear the state is likely to host more games.

Hawthorn's current five-year deal involves one pre-season match and four home-and-away matches at Launceston.

They are hosting Adelaide on Saturday at Launceston's Aurora Stadium.

"Anything else entered into would not be requiring any financial assistance from the state to encourage other teams to come down and play," Tasmanian tourism minister Michelle O'Byrne said before Saturday's game.

"Our relationship is with Hawthorn ... (they) have delivered a huge benefit for us."

There is speculation that Richmond are looking into playing two home games at Hobart's Bellerive Oval.

AFL chief operating officer Gil McLachlan confirmed Bellerive had come up in Friday's discussions with the state government.

"I can't talk specifics about that, it was more just broadly discussion around football in Tasmania, the success story that has been Hawthorn in Launceston," he said.

"There was a contemplation about playing more football in Tasmania whether Bellerive was appropriate.

"Certainly it has some appeal for us, it's a new concept.

"Really, in the end, it's a question for the government of the day ... whether they support that.

"There's been a different view historically, but if that's changing, we'd welcome that."

McLachlan strongly implied that Bellerive would need upgrading before it would be suitable for hosting home-and-away matches.

"It's the right balance between first-class public seating and the right level of corporate imagery," he said.

"I know money has been spent on that, but there are certainly are areas (where) I think cricket and others are looking to improve.

"If I leave Bellerive out of this - if you want to attract first-class content, whether it's Test matches, one dayers, Twenty20, AFL matches, it has to be the venue that attracts people and delivers the right outcome for everyone, including the people who are playing there."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tasmania-would-welcome-second-afl-team-20100612-y4c4.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Home games in Hobart: three Victorian clubs are interested
JON PIERIK
June 13, 2010

THREE Victorian AFL clubs have expressed interest in shifting home games to Hobart's Bellerive Oval as the push into Tasmania gathers pace.

As Hawthorn and the Tasmanian government prepare to begin discussions about extending their multimillion-dollar agreement at Launceston's Aurora Stadium, The Sunday Age can reveal two more Melbourne clubs have joined Richmond in approaching officials at Bellerive Oval, the home of Tasmanian cricket.

Cricket Tasmania chairman Tony Harrison yesterday said the financial upside for clubs to shift games to Hobart was enormous, while the state's southern economy would be boosted if games were held there.
Advertisement: Story continues below

''We have been approached by three Victorian clubs,'' he said. ''We are open for business.

''I am very confident we will get football down at Bellerive because the economics just add up.

''My brief obviously is for cricket, but I want the ground utilised.

''We are prepared to talk to anyone and we are talking to anyone who approaches.''

Harrison said the Tigers were still deliberating whether to shift two games in time for the 2011 season.

''We have provided information to them in regards to facilities and costs and our future development plans. I understand they have considered it and they are still keen on it,'' he said.

The Tigers have a strong connection with Tasmania.

Chief executive Brendon Gale, also a member of AFL Tasmania's board, retired champion Matthew Richardson and exciting forward Jack Riewoldt all hail from the state.

Harrison said Cricket Tasmania had also had discussions with the National Rugby League and Australian Rugby Union about hosting matches at the picturesque stadium.

The venue has a capacity of about 17,000 and is used for state league football during winter.

''The economics are very good because we are a low-cost venue,'' Harrison said. ''The return would be very good for those clubs, particularly those clubs that struggle to get a return from some of the grounds in Melbourne and the cost of operating those venues.

''There have been games in Melbourne this season that haven't got the crowds we could get at Bellerive.''

Harrison said there were plans to lift the ground's capacity to more than 20,000 - on par with Aurora Stadium.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou met with Tasmanian Premier David Bartlett on Friday to discuss the state hosting more matches. Before then, Demetriou said with the league expanding to 18 teams, Tasmania would be the ideal place to host more games.

Speaking yesterday at a pre-match function ahead of Hawthorn's victory over Adelaide at Aurora Stadium, Tasmania's Minister for Tourism, Michelle O'Byrne, said the government would not help provide ''financial assistance'' to lure more teams, other than the Hawks, across Bass Strait.

AFL chief operating officer Gillon McLachlan confirmed Bellerive had been discussed on Friday. ''Certainly it has some appeal for us, it's a new concept,'' he said.

''Really, in the end, it's a question for the government of the day, whether they support that. There's been a different view historically, but if that's changing, we'd welcome that.''

McLachlan suggested Bellerive would need upgrading before it would be suitable to host home-and-away matches.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/home-games-in-hobart-three-victorian-clubs-are-interested-20100612-y4pg.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2010, 11:14:16 AM »
I know we're after extra revenue for the Club and playing interstate home games for $$$ maybe only temporary but once we start having winning seasons in a couple of years we should be getting big crowds most weeks and put pressure on the AFL to only have MCG home games. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 01:11:07 PM »
I know we're after extra revenue for the Club and playing interstate home games for $$$ maybe only temporary but once we start having winning seasons in a couple of years we should be getting big crowds most weeks and put pressure on the AFL to only have MCG home games. 

I must admit to coming around to the idea of having 2 or 3 games in Hobart if:-

We have it to ourselves
Home games rights to Melb based members for MCG games (without the reserved seat access if fine with me which is what Hawk members currently get)
An overall return that nets out to a profit figure that is triple the return of playing in Melbourne

as a city, Hobart is roughly triple the size of Launceston in population and similar to that of the bellarine in greater Geelong.
No reason why they couldn't attract low 20s if the capacity of the ground was expanded
great city and well worth a visit mixed in with a game of footy
Richmond has a decent following in Tassie, can be expanded and help membership

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »
sorry but i just cant see this happening.
hawks arent happy about it and end of the day tassie labor government love the hawks so when push comes to shove from hawks it will all fall over i rkn.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 04:48:36 PM »
hawks arent happy about it and end of the day tassie labor government love the hawks so when push comes to shove from hawks it will all fall over i rkn.

But I thought the Tassie Cricket assocaition are making the push for the Hobart games without the Government?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tazzytiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Tiger in my tank !
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 09:03:01 PM »

But I thought the Tassie Cricket assocaition are making the push for the Hobart games without the Government?
I have heard that talks are well progressed
I have also heard that if Richmond play games at Bellerive Oval that Cricket Tas will have the funds to upgrade  the oval
[seating capacity] A win win situation.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 10:15:11 PM »
If we are to restore RFC to a formidable Vic club, we must add sme serious $$$$ to our revenue streams....Tell me how profitable have the hawks and cats been in recent years...is no co-incidence the wealthy clubs are running away from the pack...we'd be fools to ignore this opportunity if it were to add 1mn a year
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 10:21:19 PM »

The tassie goverment would welcome anything football and the hawks can go suck on my gonads. stuff them who do they think theyr are.
They got Waverley for a dollar a year or whatever the lease was now they think they own Tassie as well. stuff them.

I was not keen on any games outside Vic when it was first mentioned but a few games every year wont hurt, espeicllay if it ties in with the Hobart Tigers. We could seriously clean up and increase out membership base and damage the Hawks while we are it it..

More membership means more money on developing and recruiting.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
North a chance to play home games in Hobart (Age)
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 04:57:56 AM »
We're too popular and not financially struggling enough to play in Hobart apparently...

North a chance to play home games in Hobart
JAKE NIALL
June 18, 2010

NORTH Melbourne has held ''very preliminary'' discussions with the AFL about playing home games in Hobart.

North Melbourne is open to the idea of playing games at Hobart's Bellerive Oval - Tasmania's Test cricket venue - but the club's interest in Tasmania would be conditional upon there being no suggestion of a permanent relocation.

Cricket Tasmania has also approached Melbourne about the prospect of playing games at Bellerive. The topic, however, has not yet been considered by the Melbourne board.

North Melbourne is understood to be interested in a Hawthorn-like deal, which could conceivably involve three or four home games in Hobart - the Hawks play four at Launceston under their lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government - but sources said yesterday that talks were still ''very preliminary''.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou and his offsider Gillon McLachlan met a week ago with the Tasmanian government and the possibility of Hobart games - involving North or another club - was among a number of topics discussed. The AFL is receptive to the idea of a club joining Hawthorn in Tasmania but, at this stage, there is no detailed, concrete proposal from either Cricket Tasmania or the Tasmanian government, which has already committed heavily to the Hawthorn presence in Launceston.

While Richmond has also discussed a proposal to play two home games at Bellerive - its chief executive Brendon Gale is on the board of AFL Tasmania - it is unclear whether the AFL would permit a club with Richmond's large supporter base to play in the Apple Isle when those games could be of greater benefit to a less financially robust club such as North or the Demons.

North's hierarchy is understood to have spoken about the Hobart possibility with McLachlan. North's board is yet to formally consider any proposal.

North Melbourne's chairman James Brayshaw and chief executive Eugene Arocca could not be contacted last night, when Brayshaw was hosting The Footy Show. McLachlan would not comment on the Hobart issue.

The emergence of Hobart as a prospective venue for Victorian clubs is part of a push by Cricket Tasmania to develop Bellerive, as reported in The Sunday Age last weekend.

The AFL, North and Richmond are well aware of southern Tasmania's desire for a slice of the AFL pie, given that Hawthorn's four-game deal with the Tasmanian government is exclusive to Launceston in the state's north. Rivalry between the south and north of the state has been a feature of Tasmanian football history.

The Western Bulldogs have not been approached or had discussions with either Cricket Tasmania or the AFL about Hobart games.

Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose said: ''It doesn't mean we wouldn't consider it at some stage. [But] we haven't discussed Tassie at all.''

Rose said the Dogs were focused on ''consolidating'' in the western suburbs of Melbourne.

Bellerive can accommodate about 17,000 spectators, and Cricket Tasmania said there were plans to lift that capacity to about 20,000, the same as Launceston's Aurora Stadium.

Cricket Tasmania said that Bellerive would provide a low-cost stadium for modest crowds. Speaking before the Hawthorn-Adelaide game last Saturday, Tasmania's Minister for Tourism Michelle O'Byrne said the government would not provide financial assistance to encourage teams to play in Tasmania, besides Hawthorn.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/north-a-chance-to-play-home-games-in-hobart-20100617-yjqv.html

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: North a chance to play home games in Hobart (Age)
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 07:11:18 AM »
We're too popular and not financially struggling enough to play in Hobart apparently...

North a chance to play home games in Hobart
JAKE NIALL
June 18, 2010

NORTH Melbourne has held ''very preliminary'' discussions with the AFL about playing home games in Hobart.

North Melbourne is open to the idea of playing games at Hobart's Bellerive Oval - Tasmania's Test cricket venue - but the club's interest in Tasmania would be conditional upon there being no suggestion of a permanent relocation.

Cricket Tasmania has also approached Melbourne about the prospect of playing games at Bellerive. The topic, however, has not yet been considered by the Melbourne board.

North Melbourne is understood to be interested in a Hawthorn-like deal, which could conceivably involve three or four home games in Hobart - the Hawks play four at Launceston under their lucrative deal with the Tasmanian government - but sources said yesterday that talks were still ''very preliminary''.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou and his offsider Gillon McLachlan met a week ago with the Tasmanian government and the possibility of Hobart games - involving North or another club - was among a number of topics discussed. The AFL is receptive to the idea of a club joining Hawthorn in Tasmania but, at this stage, there is no detailed, concrete proposal from either Cricket Tasmania or the Tasmanian government, which has already committed heavily to the Hawthorn presence in Launceston.

While Richmond has also discussed a proposal to play two home games at Bellerive - its chief executive Brendon Gale is on the board of AFL Tasmania - it is unclear whether the AFL would permit a club with Richmond's large supporter base to play in the Apple Isle when those games could be of greater benefit to a less financially robust club such as North or the Demons.

North's hierarchy is understood to have spoken about the Hobart possibility with McLachlan. North's board is yet to formally consider any proposal.

North Melbourne's chairman James Brayshaw and chief executive Eugene Arocca could not be contacted last night, when Brayshaw was hosting The Footy Show. McLachlan would not comment on the Hobart issue.

The emergence of Hobart as a prospective venue for Victorian clubs is part of a push by Cricket Tasmania to develop Bellerive, as reported in The Sunday Age last weekend.

The AFL, North and Richmond are well aware of southern Tasmania's desire for a slice of the AFL pie, given that Hawthorn's four-game deal with the Tasmanian government is exclusive to Launceston in the state's north. Rivalry between the south and north of the state has been a feature of Tasmanian football history.

The Western Bulldogs have not been approached or had discussions with either Cricket Tasmania or the AFL about Hobart games.

Bulldogs chief executive Campbell Rose said: ''It doesn't mean we wouldn't consider it at some stage. [But] we haven't discussed Tassie at all.''

Rose said the Dogs were focused on ''consolidating'' in the western suburbs of Melbourne.

Bellerive can accommodate about 17,000 spectators, and Cricket Tasmania said there were plans to lift that capacity to about 20,000, the same as Launceston's Aurora Stadium.

Cricket Tasmania said that Bellerive would provide a low-cost stadium for modest crowds. Speaking before the Hawthorn-Adelaide game last Saturday, Tasmania's Minister for Tourism Michelle O'Byrne said the government would not provide financial assistance to encourage teams to play in Tasmania, besides Hawthorn.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/north-a-chance-to-play-home-games-in-hobart-20100617-yjqv.html

with gale on the afl tassie board, i'm sure he would be pushing our case regardless.

Ramps

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »
What is North Melbourne still doing in the national competition? That club is a complete joke! A gypsy organisation going from one town to the next looking for games and cash. What a brothel of a club!

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »
What is North Melbourne still doing in the national competition? That club is a complete joke! A gypsy organisation going from one town to the next looking for games and cash. What a brothel of a club!

Agreed. They refuse the Gold Coast option and know that means they won't get the big payday for games up there, claim to want to stay in Melbourne but now want another interstate handout cause they made a mistake in judgement.

Only clubs with poor membership and finances need apply - and just how does Hawthorn fit that criteria.