Author Topic: Class cost Tigers, says Hardwick (RFC)  (Read 3494 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Class cost Tigers, says Hardwick (RFC)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 09:12:59 PM »
Polak dropped a mark in the last round in 2007 on the lead in front of goal and many thought he was tanking.

Today late in the first quarter he dropped a mark as easy as that one if not easier and the hawks took it up the other end and got a goal. Right now I was thinking of that and thinking possibly a goal we had and a goal Hawthorn would not have got and the final score may have been 14 8 92 to 12 11 83.

Definentely should have taken that mark and proves to me that lightning does strike twice rather than Polak tanking.  :shh

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 09:16:47 PM »
i saw both these blokes play this weekend.  gourdis was diabolical.  mcgaune was monumentally bad.

Yep he was poor on Saturday
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 09:48:30 PM »
Polak dropped a mark in the last round in 2007 on the lead in front of goal and many thought he was tanking.

Today late in the first quarter he dropped a mark as easy as that one if not easier and the hawks took it up the other end and got a goal. Right now I was thinking of that and thinking possibly a goal we had and a goal Hawthorn would not have got and the final score may have been 14 8 92 to 12 11 83.

Definentely should have taken that mark and proves to me that lightning does strike twice rather than Polak tanking.  :shh

that was rance that dropped the mark Im pretty sure you were referring too, a chest mark huh?
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »
From my vantage point in the Olympic Stand it looked like the mark was marginally out in front of him or a chest mark late in the first when we were 3.1 to 1.4 up Bojangles. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 05:25:27 AM »
A little bit more from Dimma in the Age

Hardwick thought his side performed better than its opponent, but lacked Hawthorn's polish.

''We looked at numbers and thought we really should have won the game, we thought we were the better side on the day. We're really disappointed we didn't, but there's no doubt it was a step forward for our footy club,'' he said. ''I said to the players at the end of the game we set a standard for our season from here on in. Forget the first eight games, it's zero-zero. So our season will really start now - we want to build on what we took out of today's game and go forward.

''Benny Nason stepped up again, Dustin Martin was really good. I thought Jack Riewoldt played well and Trent Cotchin was simply outstanding. We found some players and they've set a standard now, so they've just to maintain that for the remainder of the year.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawk-brown-unconcerned-at-fair-bump-on-jackson-20100516-v6br.html

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 07:22:31 AM »
Against a good midfield Cotchin was oustanding. Experience and the younger players developing will bring the required polish but we are going to have to wait a fair while for this to occur.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »
That game was lost because we lacked leadship from Newman and Mcguane.

Probably the most insipid/stupid/weak coment ever posted on OER. Wake up, Newman was excellent, the best game he has played and lead. Give credit where its due or go away.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 10:38:06 AM »

Probably the most insipid/stupid/weak coment ever posted on OER. Wake up, Newman was excellent, the best game he has played and lead. Give credit where its due or go away.

Newy was pretty good.  You cant pin the loss on him.  McGaune on the other hand  :banghead

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

Newy was pretty good.  You cant pin the loss on him.  McGuane on the other hand  :banghead

For 98% of the game McGuane was very good.  The other 2% was very costly - dumb mistakes that you would not want to see repeated on a regular basis.  When you lose by 3 points you get the full impact of every mistake that costs a goal and it hurts that much more.  And Newman had 1 in that category as well.

Tigermonk

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »

The younger players stood up today but what the hell were they thinking handing Hawks 2 goals like that. Pathetic!!!

White needs to play out the season and ill say it again. Jack R will be a gun. Groom another forward to stand next to him and watch him shine.

Agree with you Daniel
it was a few dull decision made by those players.
Rewoldt shined because he had some big players in Graham & Polak to block for him so to make the contest, funny l been saying to put the ruckmen resting in the forwardline for years. Graham really surprised me yesterday

Tigermonk

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 12:28:49 PM »
Oh the game was lost when we starting going backwards when we needed to push forward in the dying minutes
we our own worst enermy going across ground & backwards. take that out of our game it was a possible win but l seen huge improvement & a step forward to seeing more good football win or lose till we get it going to plan  :gotigers

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 12:42:05 PM »

The younger players stood up today but what the hell were they thinking handing Hawks 2 goals like that. Pathetic!!!

White needs to play out the season and ill say it again. Jack R will be a gun. Groom another forward to stand next to him and watch him shine.

Agree with you Daniel
Rewoldt shined because he had some big players in Graham & Polak to block for him so to make the contest, funny l been saying to put the ruckmen resting in the forwardline for years. Graham really surprised me yesterday

Agree with everything you said here Monky. While players such as Astbury and Griffiths are developing we should utilize our ruckmen more and Gus has proved he is a good contested mark. Bring in Browne and rotate the ruck and forwardline duties between the 3 young rucks on our list.

It annoys me how some people pile into individual players even after they have had a good game. Their bias blinds them it appears. Newman bleed yellow and black on the weekend and played like an inspirational captain. After Peterson kissed his jumper once he kicked a goal to stick it up us and was rapted when Newman did likewise after his great goal. He has gone up in my estimations.

Similarly McGuane wiped the floor with Franklin and was tremendous in defense. When you make an error in the backline it become more noticable because the impact is more heavily felt. This is what I believe people are pointing too at present. Both Newman and McGuane were instrumental in getting us to the point of defeating the Hawks on the weekend. Highlighting the small parts of the game where they could have done better is counter productive given the sheer amount of positive aspects they had. The balance is significantly tilted towards the positives than negatives so give them a break is all I'm asking.

I for one was very pleased with how we preformed now I just want the team to build from this!

Stripes

Tigermonk

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »
l been critical of Chris Newman for the past 2 seasons. The showing of the jumper inspires everyone on & off field.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 01:04:29 PM »

Agree with you Daniel

Agree with everything you said here Monky. While players such as Astbury and Griffiths are developing we should utilize our ruckmen more and Gus has proved he is a good contested mark. Bring in Browne and rotate the ruck and forwardline duties between the 3 young rucks on our list.

It annoys me how some people pile into individual players even after they have had a good game. Their bias blinds them it appears. Newman bleed yellow and black on the weekend and played like an inspirational captain. After Peterson kissed his jumper once he kicked a goal to stick it up us and was rapted when Newman did likewise after his great goal. He has gone up in my estimations.

Similarly McGuane wiped the floor with Franklin and was tremendous in defense. When you make an error in the backline it become more noticable because the impact is more heavily felt. This is what I believe people are pointing too at present. Both Newman and McGuane were instrumental in getting us to the point of defeating the Hawks on the weekend. Highlighting the small parts of the game where they could have done better is counter productive given the sheer amount of positive aspects they had. The balance is significantly tilted towards the positives than negatives so give them a break is all I'm asking.

I for one was very pleased with how we preformed now I just want the team to build from this!

Stripes

ill admit right now i had no idea he did that. Newman showing the jumper that is

I was on a Virgin flight from Cairns watching it on those small tv's. If thats true then i will take what i said all back because that is something else. Unbelievable actually!! Stuff like that from a captain is priceless IMO, worth more than giving away a cheap goal, a lot more.

Anyone know what quarter it was ill watch the replay
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »
Last quarter about 3 min in.
Unleash the tornado