Author Topic: Class cost Tigers, says Hardwick (RFC)  (Read 3491 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Class cost Tigers, says Hardwick (RFC)
« on: May 16, 2010, 07:28:47 PM »
Class cost Tigers, says Hardwick
richmondfc.com.au
By Pat Devery
5:51 PM Sun 16 May, 2010

A LACK of what Damien Hardwick called "polish" prevented the Tigers from registering their first win of the year, according to the Richmond coach.

The Tigers led on several key indicators but when the final siren went, they were behind on the most important statistic: the scoreline.

Hardwick believed the three-point loss was an opportunity let slip.

"We looked at our numbers and thought we should have really won the game," he said after the match.

"We thought we were the better side on the day."

The Tigers kicked five goals to four in the final term to almost steal the game but it was the missed chances Hardwick was to rue.

"I don't want to say we were unlucky. We had our chances to win the game, as probably did Hawthorn, but we just needed to be more composed at a couple of stages during the game," he said.

"But there's no doubt it was a step forward for our footy club today".

Much of that momentum was provided by Richmond's younger brigade. Matt White was prominent in the final quarter, while Hardwick singled out Ben Nason, Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt as key contributors.

"Trent Cotchin was simply outstanding for us as well," he added.

The 20-year-old finished the match with 27 disposals, including 14 contested possessions to prove that courage resides alongside class in his developing frame.

The match was the first time, Hardwick felt, that his team had not lost the contest through a fatal drop-off during a single quarter. The consistency of effort seemed to please the coach most.

"I said to the players at the end of the game: Listen, we set a standard ... forget the first eight games, it's 0-0 so our season will really start now", he said.

"We want to build on what we took out of today's game and go forward from there."

One player who is in danger of missing at least some of that journey is Daniel Jackson, who appeared to head butt Hawks' hardman Campbell Brown.

The incident followed another clash - this time in dispute for the ball - when both players lowered their head in their attack on the footy. Jackson, who appeared to be collected high, came of second-best in the collision but Hardwick believed it would go no further.

"I just thought it was two guys going head-first into the ball - both terrific players, both ball players - one of those contests you love to see in AFL footy."

It wasn't the day's only clash. A week after the umpires wore pink strips that melded with the special strip being worn by Melbourne, the officials donned yellowish uniforms that made distinguishing them from Hawthorn players difficult.

"I did notice they were very similar, they were yellow were they not?" asked Hardwick.

"They did clash a little bit. It's probably something the AFL may look at again."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/94406/default.aspx

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Class cost Tigers, says Hardwick (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »
That game was lost because we lacked leadship from Newman and Mcguane.

The younger players stood up today but what the hell were they thinking handing Hawks 2 goals like that. Pathetic!!!

White needs to play out the season and ill say it again. Jack R will be a gun. Groom another forward to stand next to him and watch him shine.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Gigantor

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
daniel i think you're being very harsh on chris today.he led by example, applied some fierce tackles which almost made me jump the fence and barrel buddy.mc gaune well you get a bit more sympathy from me there

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
Class cost Tigers, says Hardwick
richmondfc.com.au
By Pat Devery
5:51 PM Sun 16 May, 2010

It wasn't the day's only clash. A week after the umpires wore pink strips that melded with the special strip being worn by Melbourne, the officials donned yellowish uniforms that made distinguishing them from Hawthorn players difficult.

"I did notice they were very similar, they were yellow were they not?" asked Hardwick.

"They did clash a little bit. It's probably something the AFL may look at again."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/94406/default.aspx

:o  :banghead
As soon as I saw the umpires run out today in yellow I thought what a ridiculous decision in a game featuring two teams with yellow making up a significant proportion of their jumpers. Of all the colours, yellow would have to be the worst choice particularly considering all the runners wore the same colour too!  :help

Can't agree with you daniel regarding Newman and Jackson. Every other game this season I would but this game Newman in particular was our general and inspired the younger players by word and deed. I was impressed.  :clapping

Stripes

Gigantor

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 07:45:54 PM »
these umpires are beginning to really get on my nerves..first they come out in a kaleidoscope of colors and then theres this insane re taking of the bounce which they constantly get wrong

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:47:46 PM »
daniel i think you're being very harsh on chris today.he led by example, applied some fierce tackles which almost made me jump the fence and barrel buddy.mc gaune well you get a bit more sympathy from me there

Sorry mate he is the captain and has years of experience and that was disgraceful what he did.

Rance, Mcguane and Newman handed the Hawks 3 gimme goals in the second half. That my friend is the ball game.

Gigantor

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 07:49:48 PM »
speaking of class hasnt anyone told polak you're allowed to kick the ball without picking it up...

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »

The younger players stood up today but what the hell were they thinking handing Hawks 2 goals like that. Pathetic!!!

White needs to play out the season and ill say it again. Jack R will be a gun. Groom another forward to stand next to him and watch him shine.
Newman was outstanding today, wrong person in your sights and remember I'm a massive advocate for trading Newman

McGuane made some massive mistakes that cost us goals and he has to fix that part of his game, however he did pretty well keeping Buddy quiet. He only kicked 2 goals and one of those was a coast to coast where McGuane had no chance.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »

Newman was outstanding today, wrong person in your sights and remember I'm a massive advocate for trading Newman

McGuane made some massive mistakes that cost us goals and he has to fix that part of his game, however he did pretty well keeping Buddy quiet. He only kicked 2 goals and one of those was a coast to coast where McGuane had no chance.

when Newman kicked that goal i think in the 3rd i was rapt for him but again he let us down by handing that goal back to the Hawks.

Those 3 goals cost us the game.

As for his job on Buddy although he only kicked 2 goals i would safely say he had a big say in 2 or 3 other goals. Mcguane has too many flaws and lets too many goals come from mistakes.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
No one else on the list could have done the job on Buddy that McGuane did
You're just going to have to suck it up a little while longer

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:47:46 PM »

Totally agree

That goal in the final qtr right on the 50m line was a true captains goal. Then grabbing his jumper as to say "we're playing for this guys" was probably the most outstanding piece of leadership I've seen from him

As most people know I am one of his harshest critics but today he was sensational and a true captain  :bow :bow
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:16:07 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 08:49:22 PM »
Mcguane played above his level

Wait till rnd 12 and then you will see Gourdis take over mcguanes position, gourdis will get a good blooding this year in the second half of the season

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 08:57:50 PM »

Wait till rnd 12 and then you will see Gourdis take over mcguanes position, gourdis will get a good blooding this year in the second half of the season

i saw both these blokes play this weekend.  gourdis was diabolical.  mcgaune was monumentally bad.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »

i saw both these blokes play this weekend.  gourdis was diabolical.  mcgaune was monumentally bad.

Gourdis has a cieling to the moon. He will get a serious blooding this year

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 09:07:05 PM »

That goal in the final qtr right on the 50m line was a true captains goal. Then grabbing his jumper as to say "we're playing for this guys" was probably the most outstanding piece of leadership I've seen from

That piece of play and gesture has been the single most inspiring thing he has done as captain in his tenure.
In fact it is the best and most inspiring thing I have seen from a captain of the RFC since Knights kicked 3 goals in a final to keep us in the game back in 1995 and that says alot about us as a club.