Author Topic: Troy Simmonds farewell game  (Read 5774 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Troy Simmonds farewell game
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 07:29:59 PM »
Troy's record speaks for itself. I suggest you check it & perhaps read what the experts say about him.
As for your statment that he's not willing to work back into the team etc....suggests to me that you don't read much about the team you purport to follow & have no idea of Troy's work ethic or situation.

Troys record? Please. Under 90 games. No finals appearances, 3rd highest in B&F in 2006 only top 5 finish.

How is it any different to the last 50 players that have played 90 games for the club? Krakour didn't get a farewell game? Clinton King? Tim Fleming? Come on..

Were Tim Fleming or Clinton Kings work ethic not worthy of a farewell game.

I'm sorry it's a joke. I love sentiment in football but Troy is no different to any other player at Richmond whose played under 100 games. I'm all up for sending him off but I wouldn't be changing the team just so Troy can get up on the players shoulder and show his arm pits to the cameras.

I understand I'm the minority but surely some agree it's embarrassing. Work back into the side and then walk up to the cheer squad and wave. Don't need a media spin with a build up of in 2 weeks I'll be playing my last game in front of my home ground. How bout warranting a spot by playing in the 2's like the rest of the group does.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:46:08 PM by Popelord »
Go Tigers!

Ox

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »
Troy has played the last 3 years with severe lung damage

jackstar is back again

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 07:42:03 PM »
Now I don't know simmo from a bar of soap but I'm lead to believe he is an excellant clubman who has served our club with distinction. Nevermind recent weeks where his body has began to fail him. Footy clubs aren't put together with jigsaw peices, it's heart, it's soul, it's talent it's direction its leadership. If a footy club that has WON ONE damn game can't find within itself to thank a loyal servant with a lousy game of footy then indeed they are on an aimless trip to NOWHERE

He actually spends his spare time down at the gym where I go to.
Is a really down to earth bloke :thumbsup
Puts in a lot more than most footballers

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »
Don't agree with it.

Send off games are for for players that give a decade of service with distinction. In Troys case sounds awful like I can't get back into the side so I'll just throw the towel in and lucky me I get a charity game. I don't like it.

If we're giving servants of the club of 90 games, no finals appearances, only top 3 B&F finish in a 6 year span farewell games, it's a precedence for a circus.

We're all getting a bit to defensive here. Got no problem with earning your way back into the side and retire with a bit of class. Not at the expense of dropping someone who was apart of our first success structure in 9 months. It's not fair on them and the greats that genuinely deserved a send off ie Knights, Richardson etc.

Would anyone agree that Kane Johnson have come back into the side last year and limped around the MCG for a farewell game? No so why are we happy for Troy to do it? Whats the point anyway? You can't argue it's completely selfish on Troys behave? Decided to retire last week after Round 8 only to play 1 more game in Round 10 as a last hurrah? Hurrah for what?

It doesn't make sense to me.

Instead of bashing the opinion please explain what the point of this farewell is actually for? A celebration is the best I come up with. But if you celebrate Troys career you'd celebrate 90% of the AFL lists career and that's farcical. Most were happy to see Brown, Coughlan, Richardson etc left off this years list to further development, yet pushing out a player that will be playing for his career is counter intuitive to that?

Make no sense to me. Feel free to explain it.
Go Tigers!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 08:05:01 PM »
Two words. Gaspar and Kellaway

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 08:07:12 PM »
Don't agree with it.

Send off games are for for players that give a decade of service with distinction. In Troys case sounds awful like I can't get back into the side so I'll just throw the towel in and lucky me I get a charity game. I don't like it.

If we're giving servants of the club of 90 games, no finals appearances, only top 3 B&F finish in a 6 year span farewell games, it's a precedence for a circus.

We're all getting a bit to defensive here. Got no problem with earning your way back into the side and retire with a bit of class. Not at the expense of dropping someone who was apart of our first success structure in 9 months. It's not fair on them and the greats that genuinely deserved a send off ie Knights, Richardson etc.

Would anyone agree that Kane Johnson have come back into the side last year and limped around the MCG for a farewell game? No so why are we happy for Troy to do it? Whats the point anyway? You can't argue it's completely selfish on Troys behave? Decided to retire last week after Round 8 only to play 1 more game in Round 10 as a last hurrah? Hurrah for what?

Instead of bashing the opinion please explain what the point of this farewell is actually for? A celebration is the best I come up with. But if you celebrate Troys career you'd celebrate 90% of the AFL lists career and that's farcical. Most were happy to see Brown, Coughlan, Richardson etc left off this years list to further development, yet pushing out a player that will be playing for his career is counter intuitive to that?

I think you've made your point

It's still wrong, but we get it seriously

jackstar is back again

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 08:10:26 PM »
Don't agree with it.

You see things from a supporters view and not what happens behind the scences.
He is highly regarded person in our football club and deserves a send off game.
There is lots people dont know what happens behind the closed doors, leave it at that

Gigantor

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »
jack wasnt he one of the leaders last year in the players push to get rid of the "suntanned one'?
One would think if that was the case he is well respected within the playing group

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 08:36:56 PM »
I don't think it's embarrassing at all but he doesn't need a farewell game. The last year and a half have been a disaster for his career but I do accept before that he was important in a mediocre side. As a leader of the side - picked by his peers as a leader - he deserves the choice of a final game. The fact he chose a farewell game makes a statement about the leaders we pick, if he wants more opportunity for younger players why deny them even one game?  So he had the choice to play out the season - another 12 games but wanted to give more opportunity to the younger players but:-
a. He didn't think of that at the end of last season robbing Gus Graham of 8 senior games
b. Someone goes out of the team this weekend and gets robbed of a game

I just think a farewell game is a bit indulgent and while giving him the choice is a fair call it smacks a little of a double standard that on the one hand he is retiring but on the other hand he is playing despite his reason for finishing up.

Do we expect him to have the same impact as a James Hird in his final game?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 09:08:07 PM »
Simmo will play Polak's role this week. Plonked up forward so Jack can still do his thing then help out Gus as 2nd ruck. Gus has earnt the first ruck role since his comeback into the side. So structurally it won't be too much different. One game in a write-off of a season isn't going to kill us.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 10:02:31 PM »
You see things from a supporters view and not what happens behind the scences.
He is highly regarded person in our football club and deserves a send off game.

Agree

There is lots people dont know what happens behind the closed doors, leave it at that

So true but there are so many who think they know when they actually don't know .... wouldn't you agree  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »
Don't agree with it.

I think you've made your point

It's still wrong, but we get it seriously

What is wrong? My point or the farewell game?
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 11:53:56 PM »
So in 5 years at the club Troy Simmonds has done more behind the doors than Kane Johnson, Darren Gasper, Andrew Kellaway, Rory Hilton and Matthew Richardson have done in their careers? Did Greg Tivendale  even have a farewell match? I fact I think he might have, and rightly so.

I'm not against Troy being fare welled. Everyone deserves to say goodbye, its the way its been allowed. Unless you've played 150+ games for the club, with form struggling and the game beyond you, you can't put your hand up and ask for a charity goodbye game. IE Tyson Edwards, and even that doesn't look good.

If we lost against Port last week it wouldn't have been an issue. The 22 that won last week 100% deserve there spot unless a player warrants their selection back ie a Foley, Jackson even Post after his 4 goal haul. Not a player that's post 30, in horrible form and struggling with fitness that wants 1 last hurrah match.

Troy isn't in the best 22 as it stands, why are we moving away from our vision of uncompromisable competitiveness. Picking a player that is probably only just fits in our best 30 at the moment is counter-intuitive to our development which is what this year is all about.
Go Tigers!

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 12:17:17 AM »
You're just being silly now.

Answer these questions, please.

Who told you Simmonds asked for a farewell match as you continue to state like he is the enemy holding the club to ransom rather than the possibility of him being offered by the club and graciously accepting to play one last time as a leader for our football club?

Who are you to judge what Troy Simmonds means to our players as to what he has contributed, particularly as a clubman behind closed doors given he was voted by the playing group into the leadership group at the start of the season despite us knowing then he was only a player filling gaps in the ruck for a year at Damien Hardwick's request?

Your point about Kane Johnson, Matthew Richardson and Darren Gaspar is utter poo since two played in round 22 or the last game they were able to and Gaspar walked after being dropped, and Rory Hilton and Andrew Kellaway were delisted.  None of those players had anything comparable to Troy Simmonds' situation and it's just you trying to search for some kind of valid reason for your incoherent ramblings, yes?
EAT EM ALIVE!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 04:52:50 AM »
Hardwick said last night he had no issue with a farewell game :thumbsup