Author Topic: Troy Simmonds farewell game  (Read 5778 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Troy Simmonds farewell game
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »
Someone has to say it.

He doesn't deserve one.

Why should any player be dropped after the effort of last week?

For mine doesn't deserve a farewell anyway. Played what 80 games? No B&F? Hasn't achieved anything. Bring back Richo for a farewell game if we're going to give charity spots in our side away. He's isn't in our best 22 and should earn his retirement game in the 2s or at training.

I'm sorry, may seem harsh but don't agree with farewell stuff unless you are an icon of the club.
Go Tigers!

Gigantor

Re: Troy Simmonds farewell game
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »
Pope we have to think about the bigger picture here,one of building a club culture that encourages people to want to come and play with us,and tells them that we do care about our past players and stars.isnt that what dimma and benny G have been on about all year.
Dont get me wrong i can understand your frustrations and i hear them loud and clear..but we are trying to build the taj mahal here not the merry creek bridge

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 02:47:53 PM »
Both sides of the argument are valid.

In the end the process', 'onfield, offield, culture' put in place dictate that Simmo gets his send off, no way out of it! Good or Bad ....

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 02:58:14 PM »
My first reaction was the same as Popes but I think Gigantor is 100% correct.

Simmonds has been a real jekyll and hyde for Richmond.(unfortunatly more hyde in the last 18 months).
Unleash the tornado

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
Someone such as Astbury or Polak will make way for Simmonds. I think he will be played as a tall option up forward and maybe act as the 2nd ruck when Gus needs a rest. If he has to replace someone for the game then my overwealming preference is Polak as he isn't part of our future either.

I think we should give him farewell game based on his 2006 but certainly not for his recent years form

Stripes

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 03:39:30 PM »
don't forget that, from the article the other day, it seems as if he is going to stay at the club for the rest of the year to help out the young ruckmen.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »
Someone has to say it.

He doesn't deserve one.

For mine doesn't deserve a farewell anyway. Played what 80 games? No B&F? Hasn't achieved anything. Bring back Richo for a farewell game if we're going to give charity spots in our side away. He's isn't in our best 22 and should earn his retirement game in the 2s or at training.

I'm sorry, may seem harsh but don't agree with farewell stuff unless you are an icon of the club.

He does deserve one.
Some people have short memories.
Disgraceful post.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 04:13:18 PM »
As fair as creating a happy culture I can see benefits. But there are as many benefits for rewarding the effort of last week and showing the group that the team picks the best 22 every week.

Beren he does deserve one? Explain how? H'es played 90 games for Richmond? 90..

Thats embarrassing. IMO only 150+ games service deserves a specific fair well game.

If Troy deserves a send off game then does Jordan McMahon whose only played 40 odd games less than Troy?

Fairwell games are a special occasion and when the club and the AFL start throwing farewell games to players that have played under 100 games for the club then it starts to lose its value.

If he was playing all year and retired, its a different story. He's not in the best 22, not willing to work back into it and has just put his hand up and said thats it give us a send off.

Just don't agree with it.
Go Tigers!

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 04:24:42 PM »
Troy's record speaks for itself. I suggest you check it & perhaps read what the experts say about him.
As for your statment that he's not willing to work back into the team etc....suggests to me that you don't read much about the team you purport to follow & have no idea of Troy's work ethic or situation.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 04:32:15 PM »
Someone has to say it.

He doesn't deserve one.

I have read some absolute garbage on OER but your post takes the cake.
Not even worth explaining to imbeciles.
Thats why we have been so bad in the past, attitudes like yours

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 04:33:07 PM »
Agree with Popelord.  I don't have a problem with recognizing his contribution, but maybe the home game against Freo (Rnd 15) and just a lap of the ground.

We've just got our structure in place around the stoppages, Simmo's been average and now it looks like we'll be going back to two rucks neither of whom are particularly mobile.

Con65

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
Someone has to say it.

He doesn't deserve one.

Someone doesnt have to say anything...not a good post.

Simmo gave good service to us...go back 18 months ago and he was a State Rep...

No harm in giving him a farewell game...

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 05:13:31 PM »
If he was playing all year and retired, its a different story. He's not in the best 22, not willing to work back into it and has just put his hand up and said thats it give us a send off.

Who said he wasn't offered a send off?   ::) ::)

The fact the players voted him into the leadership group this year shows how well he is respected by the playing group and how much intangible value has as a leader for the young kids we have.  He has acknowledged he is no longer up to it because of his knee, stated it's time to get more games into our younger ruckmen and offered to mentor our ruckmen for the the rest of the year.  What else could we ask from from him???

I suggest you pull your head in or at the very least take a look at both sides of the story.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
Now I don't know simmo from a bar of soap but I'm lead to believe he is an excellant clubman who has served our club with distinction. Nevermind recent weeks where his body has began to fail him. Footy clubs aren't put together with jigsaw peices, it's heart, it's soul, it's talent it's direction its leadership. If a footy club that has WON ONE damn game can't find within itself to thank a loyal servant with a lousy game of footy then indeed they are on an aimless trip to NOWHERE
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »

The fact the players voted him into the leadership group this year shows how well he is respected by the playing group and how much intangible value has as a leader for the young kids we have.  He has acknowledged he is no longer up to it because of his knee, stated it's time to get more games into our younger ruckmen and offered to mentor our ruckmen for the the rest of the year.  What else could we ask from from him???

Got it in one  :clapping :clapping

He highly regarded by his team mates - that's a good enough reason IMHO
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)