Author Topic: Richmond's 50m kick in the guts: Jordie's goal (Herald-Sun)  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond's 50m kick in the guts: Jordie's goal (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 08:39:10 AM »
I hate tanking and everything that comes with it.

Its cowardly and weak as pee.

Taking advantage by pretending to be weak. Pathetic.

Proper recruitment and development will win improve your list and win you premierships. Not throwing away half a decade to build a side top 4 picks.

Tanking gets you off the bottom of the ladder but doesn't give your premierships.

Top 10 Picks / Premierships for the last decade.

St.Kilda: 7 top 10 picks (5 in 3 years) = 0 Flags from 1 Grand Final appearances...
Carlton: 9 top 10 picks = 0 Flags from 0 Grand Final appearances...
Hawthorn 8 top picks (5 in 2 years) = 1 Flag from Grand Final appearance.
Melbourne 7 top 10 picks = 0 Flag from 0 Grand Final appearances...

I can't be bothered looking up W.B 's and Freos but both have had there fair share of priority picks with 0 flags and 0 GF appearances.

On what grounds and facts can anyone argue that tanking, writing off seasons wins you a premiership. You'd risk membership, sponsorship, decent TV slots and prime time fixtures to tank for an additional player on the list.

When you talk about 1 little win, or one kick its simple, but to tank a whole season is diabolical. If push comes to shove in Round 22 if you kick the goal we miss out on a priority pick then you miss the goal. To say we should tank for another 2 years is lunacy.

Our list is fine and we will get our opportunity to improve it with proper resources in list management and recruiting. We don't need to "quit" our direction of developing a successful game plan and instilling confidence into the playing group. We're on the right track.

:thumbsup

Don't waste your breathe PL.  Too many on here need their instant shot of satisfaction at the sacrifice of the cultural shift needed for real success.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
No tanking for one lousy pick.  No-one respects Carlton or Melbourne for their antics.  Everything they achieve will be tainted with the word tank.  Personally It would feel hollow to me if we tanked and I only have a finite amount of life left so writing of years for a few draft picks that may or may not be any good is bullshyte.  Take what we get and forge them into Tigers.  It looks like the development side is working properly now for the first time in donkeys years.  It not just about high draft picks, it is about what we do with our picks and that is being addressed finally with a good coaching/development team.  :gotigers
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 09:51:03 AM »
No tanking for one lousy pick.  No-one respects Carlton or Melbourne for their antics.  Everything they achieve will be tainted with the word tank.  Personally It would feel hollow to me if we tanked and I only have a finite amount of life left so writing of years for a few draft picks that may or may not be any good is bullshyte.  Take what we get and forge them into Tigers.  It looks like the development side is working properly now for the first time in donkeys years.  It not just about high draft picks, it is about what we do with our picks and that is being addressed finally with a good coaching/development team.  :gotigers

:clapping

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 10:27:52 AM »

rubbish no one will talk about the Demons in that light. They managed their list beautifully. Its called smart.

Carlton are tainted because of their past salary cap issues but make no mistake no one apart from jealous supporters will call it tainted.

Take the Bombers premiership in 01 as an example. No one says that was tainted by rorting the salary cap now do they.

I barely hear a word about the Dees about what they did the past 2 years apart from when i come on here

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »

rubbish no one will talk about the Demons in that light. They managed their list beautifully. Its called smart.

Carlton are tainted because of their past salary cap issues but make no mistake no one apart from jealous supporters will call it tainted.

Take the Bombers premiership in 01 as an example. No one says that was tainted by rorting the salary cap now do they.

I barely hear a word about the Dees about what they did the past 2 years apart from when i come on here

exactly, they cop some flak early on in the piece but then its over, carlton is now starting to play some very good football and have shown they already have one of if not the best midfield in the league, they will only get better and will challenge for a GF spot soon, melbourne have turned their list around well and will go from strength to strength still very early to be saying "i told ya so"  about lack of GF appearances lol.... hakws already won one and still have a young list, saints almost won one last season and will challenge again so not sure how ppl can point to these clubs as proof that tanking doesnt improve your side considerably.... exhibit B is us LOL nuff said

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »
I have said once and will say it again, Richmond had nothing to gain by tanking! If we tank, we risk losing alot of members and our financial situation has been too dire to do that!
With Cotchin and martin i believe we have proven that good players still avail themelves outside the no.1 pick! We will recieve a better draft pick than 15 other clubs this year!

tony_montana

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 02:31:33 PM »
I have said once and will say it again, Richmond had nothing to gain by tanking! If we tank, we risk losing alot of members and our financial situation has been too dire to do that!
With Cotchin and martin i believe we have proven that good players still avail themelves outside the no.1 pick! We will recieve a better draft pick than 15 other clubs this year!

incorrect, we'll have plenty to gain, namely getting enough top end talent on our list to play regular finals.... don't know about you massachists but I'm tired of watching our non competitive albeit 'honourable' club churn out rubbish performances year after year, its time for action, 28 years is long enough. There is no rule breaking going on here, its well within the rules so USE THEM

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
since when is deliberately losing within the rules?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »
St.Kilda: 7 top 10 picks (5 in 3 years) = 0 Flags from 1 Grand Final appearances...
Carlton: 9 top 10 picks = 0 Flags from 0 Grand Final appearances...
Hawthorn 8 top picks (5 in 2 years) = 1 Flag from Grand Final appearance.
Melbourne 7 top 10 picks = 0 Flag from 0 Grand Final appearances...

What a stupid way of looking at it - no offence but to say early draft pick do not win flags (i assume this is what your point is) based on the above is silly, IMHO.

Saints   got very, very close to a flag. The win games by big scores of the last 5 or so years and they win many games in a row. They got very close to a flag and were only beaten by a great Geelong side. The have only lost 3 games with the best player in the team out, the prem. window is not closed.
Best players / early draft picks -> Goddard brownlow fav, Roo top 2 players in AFL, Kosi handy in younger days etc.

Carlton have only started. Murphy and Gibbs are babies, could have another 15 years. Kruzer is very young and good for a ruckman.

Melbourne have even younger high draft picks, Trengrove, Watts, Scully. 18, 20, 18.

* Hawks have won a flag, Saints are close, Melb and Carlton have only just started.

we should have played the system but we got fcked over by it

:rollin :rollin

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 06:47:07 PM »
Many would argue that our best player this year is draft pick 13.  Don't need to tank to get pick 13.  Just need good talent spotters.

Other would say out best players are Deledio, Cotchin and Martin.

pick 1, 2 and 3.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »

lol!

no much outside the no.1 pick

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 08:03:20 PM »
* Hawks have won a flag, Saints are close, Melb and Carlton have only just started.
It's taken the Saints 10 years from back when they were last wooden spooner and they still haven't won anything no matter how close they are, yet the Hawks have won one within 4 years.

However the Hawks didn't win the flag because of their early picks, most of them weren't even playing

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
Where are Hawthorne at now? Are they suffering because they won a final earlier than they expected and it went to their head, or did they ahse that premiership and are now being shown for what they are?

Are they going up or down?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 10:14:41 PM »
It's taken the Saints 10 years from back when they were last wooden spooner and they still haven't won anything no matter how close they are, yet the Hawks have won one within 4 years.

However the Hawks didn't win the flag because of their early picks, most of them weren't even playing

Saints went close in 2004/05 just three years after they were losing just about every week. Problem with the Saints is this their club is garbage b/c the Pres and the coach at the time were not on speaking terms and by the end of 2006 they had a new coach and the whole dynamics of the situation had shifted. It took Lyon almost 3 years to get them close and really challenging again. Without those picks they would be nowhere.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 10:21:14 PM »
Classic thread!

Same day different article on this board about the Tigers clearence work complete with a decent rev by Goddard with NO responses but a 3 page thread on a garbage hypothetical which was silly when it was relevant last year!

You want to be positive?

Comment on the positive article do gooders!!!

Ironic.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”