Author Topic: Win was our best, says Hardwick (RFC)  (Read 582 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Win was our best, says Hardwick (RFC)
« on: July 04, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
Win was our best, says Hardwick
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Sun 04 July, 2010

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick says his side's win over Sydney Swans at the MCG on Sunday afternoon was the side's best in 2010.

After the Tigers started the season 0-4 with a percentage of under 50, most pundits had them a lock to win the wooden spoon, possibly without a win to their name.

But the side showed steady improvement. It heartbreakingly lost by under a goal to the Hawks in round eight before breaking through for their first win in atrocious conditions against Port at AAMI Stadium in round 10, setting a league record 142 tackles in the process.

Since then the Tigers have knocked off the West Coast Eagles and the Brisbane Lions, with Sunday's victory taking them off the bottom of the ladder for the first time since round two.

"Best win? No doubt," the coach said after the match.

"The Sydney footy club, in my eyes, are a club that is something we aspire to be - a side that never gives up, when they're in front they generally stay in front, so for our group, I thought it was a massive, massive win for our footy club."

"It was a terrific effort - It's not often you come from five goals down against a quality outfit such as Sydney.

Hardwick said Richmond's recent poor record against the Swans made the come-from-behind win even more pleasing.

"We had lost our last eight [against them] and when you are down they are a very hard side to get back on top of, so for our guys to show some fight and to come out on top - it was a terrific win and obviously our best win to date.

"They are starting to believe - believe in what we are doing and believe in each other, which is very important for our football club".

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97453/default.aspx

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Win was our best, says Hardwick (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:23:56 PM »
Easily

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »
The first in anything is the most elusive and its always cherished however once you break the ice you find that psychologically you feel a weight lifted off your shoulders. One can only hope that best wins like today becoming more regular as well. :thumbsup

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 08:07:37 PM »
A great come from behind win over a top 8 side - been a while.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »

"They are starting to believe - believe in what we are doing and believe in each other, which is very important for our football club".

And no amount of tanking (I believe experimental development is the current catch phrase) will ever ever ever have the same positive impact on a team or a club as that belief - over 1 season, 5 seasons or 10 seasons.  You can't buy it and you can't draft it - you can only learn it one way and thankfully Hardwick is teaching it that one way.