Author Topic: Who is tradeable?  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Who is tradeable?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »
Pattison failed because he wasn't tall enough and had no leap to compensate so he was always going to struggle, especially with the change to the ruck rules which favoured the taller ruckmen. He also was never quick enough to be a kpp, so he was an inbetweener and he won't be the last of his type. James Sellar at Adelaide is a good chance to end up just like him as well.

You have a strange recollection of Sandilands starting well though, the guy was an absolute hack early on, completely butchered the ball when he actually got near it. He also debuted when he was 2 months older than Vickery is today after spending his first year in the WAFL. I know he played a lot in his first season and I think he got a Rising Star nomination too, but he was very clumsy and there were massive doubts on him making it.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 11:28:10 PM »
Sandilands was clumsy, but got 40+ hitouts in a game in his first season on a senior list. That is a good return in anyone's books and of course you persevere with that.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
Sandilands was clumsy, but got 40+ hitouts in a game in his first season on a senior list. That is a good return in anyone's books and of course you persevere with that.
Well obviously his massive height had a lot to do with the pure quantity of hitouts, however its taken a long time before he's actually learnt how to tap to advantage. There were articles only a year or two ago about how predictable he was for opposition midfielders to rove to his taps. Obviously he's one of the best in the game now, but it's still taken him a good 7 years to get to that level.

First year on a senior list is a bit misleading too, he was 20 years old and had been on the Freo list for a full year before he got a shot at senior level, so it's not like he just walked in to the side after getting drafted. As I pointed out, on his debut he was still older than Vickery is now and older than he will be at the end of the season.

If you want to compare them at the same age then you'll have to see how Tyrone goes next year and compare that to Sandilands first season.
Just like you persist with a 211cm giant who gets 41 hitouts in a game in his first season, you persist with a young ruckman taken with Pick 8 who has played 17 games of AFL before he's even turned 20.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 07:21:55 AM »
I would think (hope) anyone outside of:

Lids, Cotch, Jack, Newman, Martin and all other first year players from this year

Would be tradeable but I doubt that will be the case.

I reckon you could add a couple more to the list above that wont be considered for trade but should be ONLY if there is a really good deal for the club on the table

However, I think anyone not currently contracted for 2011 would automatically be up for trade (not saying I agree with that but that's what I think) and I also think that there will be some currnetly under contract for 2011 that may be thrown up to test the market

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)