Author Topic: Pick 6 now guaranteed  (Read 16657 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Pick 6 now guaranteed
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 10:26:27 PM »
It's not a Phantom Draft, just a list of the Top 25

Offline Siberian

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 01:23:56 AM »
this is assuming we win by less than 200 points :thumbsup
100 still on for Jack

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
Emma Quayle's view on this year's draft strength....

"If the Gold Coast didn't exist this would probably be the best draft pool I could think of."

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 12:47:02 AM »
Emma Quayle's view on this year's draft strength....

"If the Gold Coast didn't exist this would probably be the best draft pool I could think of."
I wonder if she means with or without the 17 year olds

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »
Brisbanes win is helpful to us in the 2nd round of the draft where even 1 or 2 spots can make a massive difference.

Given that West Coast have a priority pick in the 2nd round, would any of the tanking proponents like to nominate the 2 games we won this year that were meaningless and have cost us a 2nd round priority pick?

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:49 AM »
Damn Martin and his damn smarmy fend offs, and Collins and his game saving goals against Sydney, trade em both or delist.  Delist Jack as well for winning the bloody coleman and being a show pony.
Lots of people name their swords......

Ramps

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 12:22:13 PM »
Brisbanes win is helpful to us in the 2nd round of the draft where even 1 or 2 spots can make a massive difference.

Given that West Coast have a priority pick in the 2nd round, would any of the tanking proponents like to nominate the 2 games we won this year that were meaningless and have cost us a 2nd round priority pick?

Now Smoke... dont be stupid. This year there were no meaningless wins. No wins where a Bowden was conceding behinds to waste time, No wins where winning was gonna cost us big time in terms of draft position, No wins where our elder statesmen had to get us over the line. All our wins this year were credible wins, important wins, wins coming of the back of a group of youngsters, even some of the losses like the last round defeat had some important lessons, our kids lost, but Hardwick has taught them to not give up. Now when we are 10 goals behind, we dont think that we will lose by 20 goals, rather its can we make up the difference, is there a way to win. 2010 has been a good year Smoke.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »

Now Smoke... dont be stupid. This year there were no meaningless wins. No wins where a Bowden was conceding behinds to waste time, No wins where winning was gonna cost us big time in terms of draft position, No wins where our elder statesmen had to get us over the line. All our wins this year were credible wins, important wins, wins coming of the back of a group of youngsters, even some of the losses like the last round defeat had some important lessons, our kids lost, but Hardwick has taught them to not give up. Now when we are 10 goals behind, we dont think that we will lose by 20 goals, rather its can we make up the difference, is there a way to win. 2010 has been a good year Smoke.

Good post this
Go Tigers!

Con65

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2010, 01:54:16 PM »
Ramps I am with you there...

But I think it is horses for courses...I thought the win over melbourne last year was meaningless...it didnt mean a lot to the playing list...crickey...13 changes to the list meant one third of the list that enjoyed that win aint with us now...and did Jordie say...hey I deserve a game in 2010 because I won us the game against the Dees....Nope...I believe that we would have been better off getting picks 3 (melbourne would have found a way to lose to Freo and still get picks 1 and 2)...and 19 and 20 and hence picked up Ben Griffiths and Ryan Bastinac if you wanted to or some other player at pick 20...hell it would have made up for giving up pick 19 back in 2007 which turned out to be callum ward..

This year..the 6 wins meant alot to the playing list...it gave the kids belief...it broke the "i'm sick of losing" mentality which was said to me by one of the players..the kids started to believe in the game plan..they know if they execute, then they can be competitive...that they can be winners...I dont begrudge one of the 6 wins this year...

What would have been nice though would have been to have a win over a Vic team...lets face it...not many adelaide or freo supporters walking around that we can stir...hehe

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »

So let me get this right - 2 wins that cost us the difference in pick 4 to pick 6 ("massive difference" in the second round so I assume it is a HUGE difference in the first round) plus 1 extra pick early in the second round (a massive difference pick) are outweighed by the value in youngsters trying and learning to win in every game they play?  Mmmm, funny theory that.

And yes Ramps, 2010 has been a good year, a very good year all things considered.   :thumbsup   :gotigers

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »
Ramps I am with you there...

But I think it is horses for courses...I thought the win over melbourne last year was meaningless...it didnt mean a lot to the playing list...crickey...13 changes to the list meant one third of the list that enjoyed that win aint with us now...and did Jordie say...hey I deserve a game in 2010 because I won us the game against the Dees....Nope...I believe that we would have been better off getting picks 3 (melbourne would have found a way to lose to Freo and still get picks 1 and 2)...and 19 and 20 and hence picked up Ben Griffiths and Ryan Bastinac if you wanted to or some other player at pick 20...hell it would have made up for giving up pick 19 back in 2007 which turned out to be callum ward..

This year..the 6 wins meant alot to the playing list...it gave the kids belief...it broke the "i'm sick of losing" mentality which was said to me by one of the players..the kids started to believe in the game plan..they know if they execute, then they can be competitive...that they can be winners...I dont begrudge one of the 6 wins this year...

What would have been nice though would have been to have a win over a Vic team...lets face it...not many adelaide or freo supporters walking around that we can stir...hehe

But Con, the Melbourne win made no difference to our picks, not squat and there were only 2 players that played in that game that weren't on our list this year.  So if it made no difference to our picks and 20 of the 22 players are still on our list and Ramps theory that youngsters not giving up and playing to win is beneficial then surely I can mount a strong case for that win to be in fact credible and not meaningless?

Con65

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
Smokey...on one of the footy shows last night...might have been classifieds..they put up Nort Melbourne's youngsters with the pick they were selected...there were only a couple on the list that were a single digit....Liam Anthony was taken at pick 43 (i think) being after the pick we gave Port for Adam Thomson...

This year, look at Astbury...taken in the 30s from memory..good footballer and a great debut season by all accounts...

You dont need to tank like Carlton to develop a good list...Aside from 2009 when melbourne wanted scully and trengrove they didnt tank...but built up their list with astute picks...just like north...

But if you want to keep getting flogged each week...and develop the mindset that we are losers...just to get a higher pick...then go for it...I dont buy it though...this year the wins meant something to the group...remember it was a young group we fielded week in week out

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2010, 02:15:45 PM »
Smokey...on one of the footy shows last night...might have been classifieds..they put up Nort Melbourne's youngsters with the pick they were selected...there were only a couple on the list that were a single digit....Liam Anthony was taken at pick 43 (i think) being after the pick we gave Port for Adam Thomson...

This year, look at Astbury...taken in the 30s from memory..good footballer and a great debut season by all accounts...

You dont need to tank like Carlton to develop a good list...Aside from 2009 when melbourne wanted scully and trengrove they didnt tank...but built up their list with astute picks...just like north...

But if you want to keep getting flogged each week...and develop the mindset that we are losers...just to get a higher pick...then go for it...I dont buy it though...this year the wins meant something to the group...remember it was a young group we fielded week in week out

So you're saying that the number of the pick doesn't matter, it's who you pick and how you develop them?

Con65

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2010, 02:36:08 PM »
Smokey...obviously the higher the pick the better...but what I am saying...is you need to look at it wholistically...in 09...i thought the wins were meaningless...we had a list that was to be culled...yes only 2 are gone from the melbourne win (brown and patto)...but likely to be at least another 3 gone from that side this year (cousins, mcmahon, polo) also from that team...kingy and morton were gone but reinvented themselves...

I am firmly of the belief that we havent developed the cattle in past years...either cos our facilities were second rate or the development coaches either didnt exist or werent good enough...

Many people are hailing the turnaround in the careers of Edwards, King, Morton, Tuck and the breakout year of Riewoldt (which prob had more to do with Richo retiring and a coming of age)....it has to be the development coaches we have this year...take Riew for example...his kicking for goal has improved out of sight...same player..same endeavour...but why have the technical flaws in his kicking been largely erradicated...

When was the last time that 4 players (leave Riew out) made such big improvements in their games in one season at Tigerland?

Add to all of that a team spirit...in a couple of games late this year we got crunched...carlton and pies...damnit...but the fightback against Syd for the win and Port on the weekend reveals a belief...you cant buy that belief...

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »
Smokey...obviously the higher the pick the better...but what I am saying...is you need to look at it wholistically...in 09...i thought the wins were meaningless...we had a list that was to be culled...yes only 2 are gone from the melbourne win (brown and patto)...but likely to be at least another 3 gone from that side this year (cousins, mcmahon, polo) also from that team...kingy and morton were gone but reinvented themselves...

I am firmly of the belief that we havent developed the cattle in past years...either cos our facilities were second rate or the development coaches either didnt exist or werent good enough...

Many people are hailing the turnaround in the careers of Edwards, King, Morton, Tuck and the breakout year of Riewoldt (which prob had more to do with Richo retiring and a coming of age)....it has to be the development coaches we have this year...take Riew for example...his kicking for goal has improved out of sight...same player..same endeavour...but why have the technical flaws in his kicking been largely erradicated...

When was the last time that 4 players (leave Riew out) made such big improvements in their games in one season at Tigerland?

Add to all of that a team spirit...in a couple of games late this year we got crunched...carlton and pies...damnit...but the fightback against Syd for the win and Port on the weekend reveals a belief...you cant buy that belief...

But how is the win meaningless if the draft picks weren't affected and 20 out of the 22 learnt something about winning?  Or do you mean that every win was meaningless in '09?