Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 332249 times)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #1320 on: October 01, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
Like all tigers he was sensational  :gotigers

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1321 on: October 01, 2017, 05:51:23 PM »
From not kicking it down the line vs Freo to being an absolute jet on the most important game of the year. He would have deserved the norm Smith but still he can hold his head up high he is a worthy recipient of a premiership medal

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1322 on: October 01, 2017, 09:33:48 PM »
Owl told us to back off him and he was right. Did Owl see this coming? :shh

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1323 on: October 01, 2017, 09:34:46 PM »
He was the first to do so..... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1324 on: October 01, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »
He was the first to do so..... :shh

Owl take a bow mate :bow

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #1325 on: October 02, 2017, 07:14:26 AM »
I just think he is a bit slicker than people give him credit for, nice kick, swoops on loose ball, cuts through with his pace and is dangerous when he pushes up forward.  Always looks calm no matter what and you can't buy that.  His beard is worth the price of entry alone and should be bronzed.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1326 on: October 02, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »
His beard is worth the price of entry alone and should be bronzed.
:lol :clapping :bow
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1327 on: October 02, 2017, 01:48:56 PM »
Dunno, Vlas might have him covered there

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1328 on: October 03, 2017, 06:07:17 AM »
From the Herald-Sun
Matt Windley and Michael Randall
2 October 2017

“He (Dusty) is a legend,” Houli said of Martin when asked by the Herald Sun.

“He deserves everything that comes his way and his loyalty was more important.”

He may not have won the Norm Smith Medal, but it was still one of the best of his 170-game career that started at Essendon in 2007 and saw him move to Richmond in 2011.

“It’s special,” Houli said.

“I’m a 29-year-old, so I guess I’m more experienced than a lot of the others.

“So it was up to me to step up and the older guys to step up and I think everyone did their fair share.

“And to be honest I didn’t have much left in the tank, but that’s the aim because there’s no next week, is there?

“Or, actually, there is — we’re celebrating next week now.

“But the great thing is that everyone had their moment during the game and I’m really proud with the way we’ve connected as a team.

“We deserve the premiership.”

I agree. Though Houli broke the Crows in 1st half. Martin put on some junk time stuff IMO but he’s very flashy. Always gets votes.
    — Tim (@skramit) September 30, 2017

Richmond’s barnstorming victory capped an up and down season on a personal front for Houli, who was suspended earlier in the year for striking Carlton’s Jed Lamb.

The controversial set of circumstances that led him to receiving a four-match ban — he successfully had a four-game suspension reduced to two by the tribunal, only for the AFL to appeal that verdict — saw him become the subject of week-long public conjecture.

But Houli said “there’s no better feeling” than to ultimately end his season with such an exclamation point.

Especially given that, since he returned in Round 19, he has averaged 23.6 disposals a game.

“People say, ‘was it a lesson?’ But for me it’s not a lesson,” Houli said.

“It’s something that happened, that I treated really well, had great support around me and I came back and played really consistent footy.

“That’s the main thing.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/social-media-reacts-to-norm-smith-medal-voting-was-bachar-houli-robbed/news-story/40f66af671e6c3f6b50bb39598b29d66

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1329 on: October 03, 2017, 06:42:32 AM »
Deserves enormous credit for the way he played on Saturday.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1330 on: October 03, 2017, 08:58:50 AM »
All I can say that his finals series has been very good and on the Grand Final day he was the best he's ever been and would've been a worthy winner of the norm smith medal. As much as I've bagged Houli and criticised his hardness at the contest I will now remember him for this performance because when it matters most he was awesome and led from the front.

Well done Bachar.  :clapping :clapping :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1331 on: October 03, 2017, 09:07:18 AM »
All I can say that his finals series has been very good and on the Grand Final day he was the best he's ever been and would've been a worthy winner of the norm smith medal. As much as I've bagged Houli and criticised his hardness at the contest I will now remember him for this performance because when it matters most he was awesome and led from the front.

Well done Bachar.  :clapping :clapping :clapping

Totally agree. He had a very good finals series and he played a brilliant game against the Crows. He would definitely have been a worthy winner of the Norm Smith Medal. He stood up when it counted in the biggest game of the year. I have criticized him in the past for his ball use but on Saturday it was very good. I will forever be grateful for the way he played on Saturday because it played a big part in getting the premiership.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1332 on: October 03, 2017, 09:19:29 AM »
Dusty more effective from plays.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1333 on: October 04, 2017, 03:00:39 PM »
From Spotty to a fabulous flag for Bachar Houli

Star Weekly
4 October 2017

Bachar Houli’s journey from the Spotswood Football Club to the AFL premiership dais has not always been smooth – but it makes for one of the best football stories of the year.

Houli, a devout Muslim, was footy mad as a child, but his parents were initially not keen for their son to pull on the green and gold of Spotty in the under-11s.

Houli refused to give up on his dream, getting his Woodsmen coaches to take him to and from training, where he started to learn the craft.

It did not take long for Spotswood to realise it had a talented young player on its books.

With his closing speed, reading of the play and long-range left boot, Houli began to turn heads, piquing the interest of the Western Jets, who signed him to play in the TAC Cup.

Through hard work and dedication, Houli earned his call up to the big league with Essendon. But after only 26 games, he was on the outer and found his way to Richmond through the 2010 preseason draft.

It was a move that would be career-defining.

Houli is now a premiership player after starring in a 48-point thrashing of the Adelaide Crows in the AFL grand final at the MCG on Saturday.

“You never forget your grass roots,” he said.

“Spotty were fantastic for four or five years, gave me the opportunity to play under-11s footy, especially when my parents weren’t very supportive of it.

“It’s a long journey when you start from not being allowed to play footy to now your parents being your biggest fans.”

Houli was superb in the grand final, with some suggesting the half-back flanker was hard done by in the Norm Smith Medal voting.

The 29-year-old was full of class rebounding out of defence and a steadying influence when the game was at its hottest.

The judges awarded the medal for best-on-ground to Dustin Martin, who polled 13 votes to Houli’s 10.

Houli, who finished with 20 kicks, five handballs, 11 marks, five tackles and 1.2, did not care in the slightest, though did admit he might have cost himself a vote or two by not turning his two behinds into goals.

“This is so much more important,” he said while proudly gazing down at his premiership medallion. “Dusty has been the clear outstanding player in the competition – he deserves everything that comes his way. It’s a great feeling, it’s a fantastic feeling.”

Houli was one of 44 players who had never played in an AFL grand final before Saturday.

While there were nerves for most, Houli was surprisingly calm and it showed in his football.

Houli was able to live in the moment and not get too overawed by the enormity of the game, which helped him settle on grand final day.

“I just wanted to soak it in and really enjoy the experience because you might not get that opportunity again,” Houli said. “I enjoyed the whole week – I was really calm yesterday and today and so were my teammates.”

Houli believes it was “the little things” that Richmond did better than other finals sides.

There was a one-percenter that stood out as a key moment for Houli and it was not even a moment within the game.

“It’s great when it starts from the top and today, Damian Hardwick, relaxed, sharing a gag before the grand final – he relaxed everyone,” Houli said.

“We’ve worked really hard all season, we’ve built great relationships and we’ve come a long way.

“We’ve recruited great players from different clubs that have added to our great culture.”

http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/from-spotty-to-a-fabulous-flag-for-bachar-houli/

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1334 on: October 05, 2017, 02:56:04 PM »
Arguably BOG ....finally stood up when it counted most and played the game of his life.....probably our best of the entire finals campaign outside Martin, Cotchin & Rance.. :clapping :clapping :clapping
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.