Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 328533 times)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #1350 on: March 23, 2019, 10:30:02 PM »
Such a role model to society be nice if media pick up on to it.

Don't know the bloke, but reckon that would be the last thing he would want. Seems a very humble person.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1351 on: April 29, 2019, 12:35:20 AM »
OLD DOG, SAME TRICKS

Mark Robinson
Herald-Sun
29 April 2019

Bachar Houli is a gem, and one day an opposition club might try something freaky and try to curb his run off a back flank.

They do try to make him accountable, and might even take him deep, but he’s one of the smarter running defenders in the game.

A hamstring injury sidelined him for the first three games, but in the three games since his return he is averaging 26 disposals and 541m gained, which is clearly No. 1 at the club, 160m more than any other Richmond defender.

The Giants tried tagger Matt deBoer on Sydney’s Jake Lloyd on Saturday night, and a similar shut-down role might be considered for Houli.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-tackle-mark-robinson-gives-his-likes-and-dislikes-after-a-huge-round-6/news-story/b264078d4c06aad3493046b566ea30b5

Online yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1352 on: April 29, 2019, 10:57:47 AM »
Lose man in defence is one thing, if Houli was tagged he might struggle as he gets most of his possessions out in the clear.

The up side is some one else would be free to do Houli's role, Stackman maybe.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1353 on: April 29, 2019, 03:34:05 PM »
Now tell us Slobbo ...which Essendon player do think opposition sides should tag?

Yeah didn't think so.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1354 on: April 29, 2019, 04:06:20 PM »
You can try to take Houli deep into your forward line, but the matchup & contest will attract Astbury, Grimes, Broad or Vlaustin who will fly against the smaller forward while Houli stays down & picks up the crumbs. 
Nice try Blobbo, but you forget that the Richmond defence work as a unit who thrive on working hard for each other ... 
But thanks for coughing up the footy .... cheers ...   :santa   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1355 on: May 27, 2019, 03:41:11 AM »
From Robbo's "likes" column:

8. BACHAR HOULI

One day, a team will put the necessary time into the Minister of Transition.

Houli simply can’t be allowed to generate run from halfback and on Saturday night he made a mess of the Bombers.

In the first half, he did as he liked, running up 22 disposals, 20 intercept possessions and 420m gained. In the second half, Josh Begley was sent to quell him as a defensive half-forward, but Houli still had 15 and 396m gained.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/the-tackle-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-10/news-story/f101041decfda99acfd6ffdd2cf9ea7b

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1356 on: July 04, 2019, 04:36:58 AM »
I only heard it in the background but on Ch 7 news last night there was a snippet about us likely to offer Houli a one-year deal for 2020 and him being comfortable with whatever happens.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1357 on: July 04, 2019, 07:14:24 PM »
I only heard it in the background but on Ch 7 news last night there was a snippet about us likely to offer Houli a one-year deal for 2020 and him being comfortable with whatever happens.
Nooooooooo!!

Time to move him on........ hopefully after winning his second premiership medal.

We have kids lining up for his roll/position that can actually defend.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1358 on: July 04, 2019, 07:25:39 PM »
Nooooooooo!!

Time to move him on........ hopefully after winning his second premiership medal.

Who are these kids? Menadue, Markov, Egg? are there others that play off hb at vfl lvl that I’m forgetting? If not 2 of those haven’t proven to be any upgrade defensively and certainly not offensively while I guess we’ll see about egg this week and maybe beyond.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1359 on: July 04, 2019, 08:40:56 PM »
Nooooooooo!!

Who are these kids? Menadue, Markov, Egg? are there others that play off hb at vfl lvl that I’m forgetting? If not 2 of those haven’t proven to be any upgrade defensively and certainly not offensively while I guess we’ll see about egg this week and maybe beyond.
I would like to see Stack and Short playing off halfback.
A backline of
Vlastuin  Rance  Grimes
Short  Astbury Stack

But if we want Stack to play elsewhere I think Edwards has shown he could walk into the halfback roll.
And next in line for me is McIntosh.
Markov is probably next cab off the rank but if we want to prolong Cotch’s career, I think he could play off half back.

I think the halfback roll is well and truely cover when Houli eventually retires.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1360 on: July 04, 2019, 10:24:02 PM »
Nooooooooo!!

A backline of
Vlastuin  Rance  Grimes
Short  Astbury Stack

But if we want Stack to play elsewhere I think Edwards has shown he could walk into the halfback roll.
Markov is probably next cab off the rank but if we want to prolong Cotch’s career, I think he could play off half back.

I think the halfback roll is well and truely cover when Houli eventually retires.

Your right I don’t think a half back flanker is too hard to replace but of the ones you mentioned:
Short - already plays in that position
Edwards - imo more beneficial to us as a half fwd flanker with bursts in the middle
McIntosh - barely provides drive off the wing let alone off half back
Cotch - remember when they tried to move dusty down back? Leave the guns where they belong.
Markov - is behind Menadue and neither have shown for any prolonged period that they can fill this role and they look to be running out of time.
Stack - Gun! Don’t think he provides as much drive as houli although that might just not be the role he’s given. In any case I think we’ll see him in the midfield sooner rather than later.

Point being that until someone shows that they can perform the role better than bachar I don’t see why you wouldn’t give him a 1 year deal (fitness permitting).

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1361 on: July 04, 2019, 10:48:53 PM »
Houli has done more than enough to earn another year on the list.

He doesn't have to play every game, could even be depth for all I care, but he certainly hasn't had a terrible year. In fact he's had a good year IMO, despite a couple of poor games...

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1362 on: July 04, 2019, 11:36:20 PM »
Nooooooooo!!

A backline of
Vlastuin  Rance  Grimes
Short  Astbury Stack

Your right I don’t think a half back flanker is too hard to replace but of the ones you mentioned:
Edwards - imo more beneficial to us as a half fwd flanker with bursts in the middle
Cotch - remember when they tried to move dusty down back? Leave the guns where they belong.
Markov - is behind Menadue and neither have shown for any prolonged period that they can fill this role and they look to be running out of time.
Stack - Gun! Don’t think he provides as much drive as houli although that might just not be the role he’s given. In any case I think we’ll see him in the midfield sooner rather than later.

Point being that until someone shows that they can perform the role better than bachar I don’t see why you wouldn’t give him a 1 year deal (fitness permitting).
I don’t agree with all of that but regardless Houli can not defend. He is a weak link in our backline and when we come up against good sides that have 6 decent forwards, he lets us down.
It is possible to have good rebound and be able to defend too.

And to be honest, his kicking is massively overrated IMO.
He cost us 2 goals in as many minutes late in the game last week. Just stupid mistakes that a senior player shouldn’t be making against an average side that had basically pulled up stumps.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1363 on: July 06, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »
Nooooooooo!!

A backline of
Vlastuin  Rance  Grimes
Short  Astbury Stack

I don’t agree with all of that but regardless Houli can not defend. He is a weak link in our backline and when we come up against good sides that have 6 decent forwards, he lets us down.
It is possible to have good rebound and be able to defend too.

And to be honest, his kicking is massively overrated IMO.
He cost us 2 goals in as many minutes late in the game last week. Just stupid mistakes that a senior player shouldn’t be making against an average side that had basically pulled up stumps.
Cant have it both ways. Houli may not defend but the exact same applies to Short. if both rebound and be able to defend is the criteria then neither should be getting a game.
Stack is a player who does both finally a small defender who will defend.we have found one and we need another possibly Pickett. Grimes plays well on smalls and we have Vlastuin a very good medium defender.To me the ony spots remaining are talls.

Still think the way fwd is finding a kpd who can play on the cox's and ben browns persevere with Balta at chb to eventually take Rance spot and when Rance is fit bring him in as the third tall defender who provides heaps of cover and rebound. A role he performs already. 

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1364 on: July 06, 2019, 12:37:33 PM »
I reckon I have been pretty consistent over the years on players I don’t rate and pretty consistent why.
Beliis from almost his first game, Houli in the last 3 or 4 years and to a lesser extent Grigg.
The first 2 are as soft as I have ever seen at AFL level. Ever!

So I reckon if I see things I feel are soft I’ll say it and I do not see it with Short. Not even a little bit.