Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 335750 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #735 on: April 20, 2012, 12:04:42 AM »
Seriously though , how many more people is a little prayer room going to get to the footy.
To be perfectly honest I am sick and tired of all this pandering to every man and his dog that wants it 'Their way'!
Yeah it's no big deal, but footy is footy and if your so desperate re 'insecure' that you cant go without a prayer to your dog sheep goat god whatever for 3 or 4 hours you have more important issues to worry about.
What made this country greet and why everyone wants to come here is because of what it is, don't try and change it! defeats the purpose .....

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #736 on: April 20, 2012, 12:10:48 AM »
Hird wanted to keep Houli

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #737 on: April 20, 2012, 01:11:38 AM »
Seriously though , how many more people is a little prayer room going to get to the footy.
To be perfectly honest I am sick and tired of all this pandering to every man and his dog that wants it 'Their way'!
Yeah it's no big deal, but footy is footy and if your so desperate re 'insecure' that you cant go without a prayer to your dog sheep goat god whatever for 3 or 4 hours you have more important issues to worry about.
What made this country greet and why everyone wants to come here is because of what it is, don't try and change it! defeats the purpose .....
Footy has changed a lot from when we were kids anyway. The small suburban grounds were killed off one by one along with being crammed like sardines in standing room sections that weren't for the faint-hearted  ;D. It was very much an all male domain away from the reserved seats of main grandstand. Over time with the redeveloped mass stadia and modern facilities we've now reached a point where we have virtually a 50/50 crowd split as far as gender. There's still places in the crowd such as standing up the back behind the Richmond goals where you can yell out and chant what you like but most areas being all-seated are now "family friendly" (unless we are playing against Collingwood :chuck ). So yes providing certain facilities can bring more people to the footy.

ps. The one thing I miss from the 'old' days is travelling every second week to a suburban ground. Playing home and away stood out more then rather than the 'neutral' 'G these days. Only when we play an interstate side now do we have a real home ground advantage. Too bad we still won't have even that advantage next week against the Eagles being forced to play our 'home' game at Etihad  ::)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #738 on: April 20, 2012, 02:50:50 AM »
at least its not a peeed bunch of idiots in there

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jeff Kennett decries prayer rooms at footy (Australian)
« Reply #739 on: April 20, 2012, 04:16:07 AM »
Jeff Kennett decries prayer rooms at footy

by: Stuart Rintoul
    April 20, 2012

HAVING succeeded in convincing the AFL to introduce prayer rooms at all venues, Bachar Houli was unfazed last night by a stinging backlash sparked by former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett, who called the idea "stupid" and "political correctness gone mad".

Football fans took to websites to condemn and ridicule the move, but at his home in Melbourne the AFL's first Muslim player told The Australian: "The main thing is we've got what we want, and you can't change that.

"At the end of the day, people want to go and enjoy the footy as well as continue with their beliefs, and if it means they have to pray once a day at the footy, we're not asking for much."

Mr Kennett said the move was "ridiculous" and complained that political correctness had replaced "the great days" of football, when there were few stands, mud on the ground, meat pies sold for sixpence and fans braved "the smell of the urinal".

Describing Australia as "a Christian society of many faiths", the former Liberal premier and former Hawthorn club president said communities should not have to change their "very fibre" to accommodate multiculturalism.

"To put prayer rooms into sporting venues is not part of the Australian lexicon, it's not the way in which we've behaved," he said.

"I think it's an overreaction, I think it's political correctness, I think it's absolute rubbish. It's not practical, it's stupid, it's political correctness gone mad."

Houli, who plays at Richmond, where he prays before and after games, pressed for prayer rooms to be introduced at grounds in his capacity as the league's multicultural ambassador.

He said devout Muslims, who pray five times a day, were forced to pray in carparks or stairwells during games, and said more Muslims would come to the football if they had a place to pray.

Multi-faith prayer rooms have been introduced at the MCG and Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, and Sydney's ANZ Stadium. The AFL intends to press for prayer rooms at all other venues, including the SCG.

The move was welcomed by Muslim leaders, including Muslim Australia vice-president Ikebal Patel, who said the AFL deserved full marks.

"What is the harm?" he asked. "What's the problem in someone enjoying a game of footy and at the same time being mindful of their religious obligations, whatever they may be.

"Full marks to the AFL for being inclusive when we have people from different backgrounds and faiths. It's not only Muslims who might like to pray. It is engaging with God, and they might even be praying for Hawthorn to win."

The AFL's newest club, Greater Western Sydney, backed the move last night, saying: "Western Sydney is a culturally diverse region and the Giants welcome all people regardless of their background. We are proud of the contribution clubs like Muslim AFL team the Auburn Tigers have made to growing the game in Western Sydney, and the Giants would be happy to support any initiative which makes the game more accessible for all people."

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou said the league had an obligation to make venues welcoming to people of all cultures.

Many football fans took to websites to condemn the move. "What next, the Adhan over the loudspeakers instead of the final siren?" posted one Richmond fan. "Or . . . half-time breaks to coincide with mid-afternoon prayer? Or designated women-only areas at the ground on the top deck completely out of sight and earshot of any men? Actually, that one's not a bad idea.

"Seriously though, I don't like this decision at all and it's just another example of how this country is changing."

Others posted: "This is OUR game and I'm sick of all this multicultural crap that is dividing our country"; "The last bastion of Australian culture to be stripped away from us in the name of Islam"; and "Football should be football. It's a religion in itself. Let it be."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/jeff-kennett-decries-prayer-rooms-at-footy/story-e6frg6nf-1226333759496

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #740 on: April 20, 2012, 04:31:28 AM »
Bloody hell Stuart, you couldn't have quoted a big opinionated poster from this forum. :lol

edit: I don't remember saying that ^ :lol
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:24:05 AM by Coach Davey »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jeff Kennett decries prayer rooms at footy (Australian)
« Reply #741 on: April 20, 2012, 04:32:10 AM »
Many football fans took to websites to condemn the move. "What next, the Adhan over the loudspeakers instead of the final siren?" posted one Richmond fan. "Or . . . half-time breaks to coincide with mid-afternoon prayer? Or designated women-only areas at the ground on the top deck completely out of sight and earshot of any men? Actually, that one's not a bad idea.

"Seriously though, I don't like this decision at all and it's just another example of how this country is changing."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/jeff-kennett-decries-prayer-rooms-at-footy/story-e6frg6nf-1226333759496
Well we now know the Australian newspaper reads OER to grab quotes/opinions.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jeff Kennett decries prayer rooms at footy (Australian)
« Reply #742 on: April 20, 2012, 05:30:24 AM »

Well we now know the Australian newspaper reads OER to grab quotes/opinions.

As they should!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #743 on: April 20, 2012, 06:02:25 AM »
How embarrassing.  They should read mine, Owl says "your newspaper is right wing sh it."
Lots of people name their swords......

Jackstar is back again

« Reply #744 on: April 20, 2012, 06:13:12 AM »
This topic of discussion just shows how many red neck imbeciles are in our society
We are happy to except there membership and support of the RFC
.All they seeked was a room
What about all the bars at venues for people to drink beer etc
I love Bachar as a player and a person
Essendon had issues with him and he found it hard there
To see him at last years Brownlow with his wife was an outstanding achievement for a player who has come so far
Would love to see Bachar play in a tiger premiership.
The way he addressed supporters at the social club last week was sensational.much more educated than most of the clowns that play AFL
Well done Bachar

Ruanaidh

« Reply #745 on: April 20, 2012, 06:48:15 AM »
^^^You are surely not equating being a redneck with secularism. Personally when I go to the football I see enough deluded football fans, do we really need to take it to another level? Sorry, but I find all religions anachronistic as they presume to embody that which by their own definition is unknowable. :banghead BTW, I like Bachar too........ATM.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #746 on: April 20, 2012, 07:56:07 AM »
It must  e a blue moon because i agree with Jacky boy whole heartedly.

Runidah, the redneck comment, while a generalisation, is pretty apt as most of those condemning it do so out of their xenophobic pettiness. Richmond employs a chaplin, yet we dont ear anyone complaining about this. But it's ok to pander to the Christians only?

the prayer rooms are already at the Melbourne grounds and without these articles no one would have even known about it, thats how much it affects their own individual experience when goinf to the footy.

Nor has there been any complaints about providing mothers rooms at the stadiums, something you could mount similar arguments against (footy no place for babies, if women want to get pregnant thats their choice bla bla bla)

Bottom line is it does not affect any one negatively, in any way.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #747 on: April 20, 2012, 08:30:45 AM »
When we have a jew on the richmond senior list.

So should we stop Friday night games then, because the Jewish folk cannot go since they are having their Shabbat meal?
actually saturday games are the problems  for Abraham's descendants,  Yahweh's chosen people. (rember joe the jew saying he could attend a GF if melbourne made it?)
the problem with that argument is that it changes so much, yet putting 1 room aside affects you how?

The Shabbat starts Friday evening at sun down and goes into Saturday arvo.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I'm against this at all. But I'm wondering why we are catering for some, but not all. It's all good and well for you, me, and the rest of OER to say we don't give a stuff but I know from first hand experience that it is only a matter of time until there is an issue. It's all or none as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #748 on: April 20, 2012, 09:04:41 AM »
This topic of discussion just shows how many red neck imbeciles are in our society
To see him at last years Brownlow with his wife was an outstanding achievement for a player who has come so far
The way he addressed supporters at the social club last week was sensational.much more educated than most of the clowns that play AFL
Well done Bachar
I didn't read anywhere that anyone was critical of or didn't like Bachar.

My criticism is with the institutions like the AFL which make decisions like this in the name of inclusiveness and oneness but it really isn't. The truth is it was never meant for anyone but Muslims. Ok fair enough but they can't say it can they? 
There are many examples already where local councils have put in restrictions to the greater general public to use certain facilities in order to cater for one people group. You see it all begins with an all inclusive mentality with good intentions but it ends up being divisive and restrictive to all. If you don't believe me just look at what is happening in England.
I love our religious freedom in this country and I want it to stay that way.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #749 on: April 20, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »
Well done Bachar

Absolutely. Bachar is a pioneer and doing plenty to break down the fear factors that divide society in this country.