Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 337927 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #1140 on: May 05, 2015, 01:24:28 PM »
Bachar made the AFL site's team of the week.

BACHAR HOULI (Richmond) - Arguably his team's best player in a narrow loss to Geelong, Houli had career-high 33 possessions off half-back. He was clean with his disposal and better than usual defensively, laying nine tackles.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-05/team-of-the-week-round-five

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1141 on: May 05, 2015, 06:08:12 PM »
Credit where it's due
Been terrific Houli this year
Tries to take the game on and runs hard

Exactly

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1142 on: May 05, 2015, 06:26:40 PM »
Would be (should be) leading our B&F count right now

Has been great so far this year
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1143 on: May 05, 2015, 06:33:56 PM »
Agree, Houli has been terrific this year!  Definitely deserves credit for his hard running & team orientated play, its a credit to him that he endures everything & just keeps bobbing up in our best players most weeks.  We need more players with the same determination as Houli!  Honest, hard-working, modest & a scrupulously fair player.  Should be regarded as an example by all players.  Congrats & respect, well done Bachar ... here's one player who can certainly hold his head up!   :clapping
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1144 on: May 05, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »
See I think Houli is a massive part of the problem that is the RFC..
He is as soft as butter IMO. And I don't think many people could debate that?
Half of his kicks on Saturday were from playing on from a Geelong behind and kicking these lob kicks down the line with absolutely no penetration to them.
He costs us at least a couple of goals a game from dropping a simple mark or stuffing up a short kick.
He has improved as a defender but opposition players would rub their hand together when Houli came to them..
He plays with no passion and is just a vanilla AFL footballer. A player that will never take you to the next step.
If you are wondering why we are where we are it's because of players like Houli and Grigg. And even Ellis. Guys that just run around with no real purpose.
If you get 30 odd kicks as a running defender and have 10 odd tackles you win games like the one on Saturday unless something is missing.
I'd play Matty Dea before Houli any day.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #1145 on: May 05, 2015, 09:34:20 PM »
 :thumbsup
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1146 on: May 05, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »
Would be (should be) leading our B&F count right now

Has been great so far this year
I agree , he and Edwards are only two to take their game to another level this year...oh and rance has been solid
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1147 on: May 06, 2015, 08:00:48 AM »
If you get 30 odd kicks as a running defender and have 10 odd tackles you win games like the one on Saturday unless something is missing.

Yeah, his team mates.

Stuff me sideways
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1148 on: May 06, 2015, 10:19:59 AM »
See I think Houli is a massive part of the problem that is the RFC..
He is as soft as butter IMO. And I don't think many people could debate that?
Half of his kicks on Saturday were from playing on from a Geelong behind and kicking these lob kicks down the line with absolutely no penetration to them.
He costs us at least a couple of goals a game from dropping a simple mark or stuffing up a short kick.
He has improved as a defender but opposition players would rub their hand together when Houli came to them..
He plays with no passion and is just a vanilla AFL footballer. A player that will never take you to the next step.
If you are wondering why we are where we are it's because of players like Houli and Grigg. And even Ellis. Guys that just run around with no real purpose.
I'd play Matty Dea before Houli any day.
Don't agree. The problem with Houli is he is a winger to half forward played as a defender.  His kicking is better than most in the team and that is why he is played off half back.  A bit like playing Edwards off half back. He is not a natural defender.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 12:15:55 PM by YellowandBlackBlood »
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1149 on: May 06, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »
Thought he was our standout player against the Cats.

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1150 on: June 22, 2015, 04:05:00 PM »
so the consensus is houli had a good game. id say one out of the box. how many times has he clocked up 30 or more possies for us.

i think hes played a fair few good games for us but he mixes them up with probably more  very ordinary games.

not many

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bachar Houli - 100th RFC game this week
« Reply #1151 on: June 25, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
And another milestone game  ;D.

Bachar plays his 100th game for Richmond tomorrow night  :clapping.

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerStats.asp?PlayerID=1740

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bachar Houli reflects on his career at Essendon and Richmond ahead of 100th game

Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
June 26, 2015

BACHAR Houli had been told to hit the reject button when James Hird’s number flashed up on his phone.

It was late 2010 and Essendon’s prodigal son had returned from the wilderness to save his club.

But Bombers midfielder Houli had already given his word to Richmond’s Damien Hardwick that he would cross town to Punt Rd.

Houli’s camp was worried the 22-year-old player could be swayed by the whisperings of Essendon’s golden child.

“I was told to avoid Hirdy through my management,” Houli said this week. “He is a smart man and he has his ways and I was young and vulnerable, but I answered Hirdy’s call.

“I just spoke to him about the truth. I didn’t want to be in a situation where I was at Essendon the following year having gone through a year’s regret.

“I thought, “Once you have made up your mind you need to stick with it and move on. I gave my word to Dimma and said, ‘This is where I want to be’.”

Four and a half seasons later, Houli’s gut feel has been vindicated over and again.

Not only will the 27-year-old hit 100 games (from a possible 102) with the Tigers tonight against Sydney, he has dodged four seasons of turmoil at his former club.

The values and beliefs that make the AFL’s only devout Muslim player so true to his religion ended up saving him from a fate he admits he would not have avoided.

“I do feel for the boys because they are genuinely good blokes,’’ he says of his former teammates.

“I probably would have done the same thing. I would have trusted the hierarchy and gone ahead with whatever they had available purely so I could be part of the group and trusted that it was legal. I believe it’s not their fault.”

The irony is Hardwick recruited Houli on what turned out to be a false promise of serious midfield time.

He has not played one full game in his preferred position — the wing.

“I always hold him accountable for that. ‘Come on mate, when do I go on ball?’’ Houli jokes.

In many ways Houli is the perfect modern footballer: a hard, durable, lethally-skilled rebounding defender who tackles hard and never shirks a confrontation.

He hasn’t finished outside the top 10 in the Jack Dyer Medal, is an elite ball winner, is elite in metres gained, and just relentlessly gets the job done.

Yet in the homogenous realm he inhabits he has still been a lightning rod for attention.

His faith is under assault given the scourge of ISIS and the radicalisation of Islam, his own beliefs targeted when 3AW host John Burns was accused of labelling Houli a terrorist at a match.

Houli, currently undertaking the dawn-to-dusk fasting and worship of Ramadan, says it is his duty to change perceptions of Muslim people.

“It’s been really challenging. For me it’s more about doing what I control, focusing on my academy and focusing on the people within my own community,’’ he says.

“You can make a difference. Don’t think you need to travel (overseas) and fight to try to change the world.

“It is very confused but my role within the community is to continue to be a positive role model and be a respectful person. That’s what I value.

“It is a very confused situation so I prefer not to comment (on those who do fight) and leave it to our scholars to comment.”

At the Bachar Houli Leadership Academy, 35 Muslim boys are chosen from across the nation for a week of football and leadership training each year.

Houli is also an AFL multicultural ambassador and helps run an Islamic Cup schools program across the country.

He prefers not to dwell on the negatives that this year involved the Burns case, but says he is buoyed by the outcry when blatant racism rears its head.

“For the majority of Australian society these days it is unacceptable. We have gone way past that. Fortunately it is the minority. If everyone can do their little bit in society we would have a much better place to live in.

“A majority of Australian are putting a stamp on it and saying it is not right. It’s inhumane. It’s not right, so it’s time to focus on different things in life than putting each other down.”

Houli’s closest friend at Richmond is Ivan Maric, a Catholic of Croatian heritage.

“We can relate to each other quite easily because of our beliefs and values,’’ Maric said.

“I try to go to church and all that stuff and my beliefs are based around that.

“It’s unbelievable, you look at other parts of the world and there are wars over religion.

“Here in Australia we are leading by example. Sport is one of the most amazing things that brings people together. Everyone respects and wants to know about one another.”

Maric says other Tigers are interested in the beliefs of Muslim Houli, Catholic Maric and Jehovah’s Witness Alex Rance.

“In the locker room guys are always asking questions and I think everyone is really comfortable approaching myself or Bachar or Rancey about our beliefs,” he said.

“Bachar has been fantastic and patient. For him it’s a tough time with the image his religion is getting with some people in the media and government, but nearly all religions are about love and forgiveness.”

Maric loves his friend’s patience and on-field durability but also his courage, with Houli’s focus this year adding an aggressive bent to his game.

“My favourite this year was when he went back with the flight against (Travis) Cloke on the wing,” Maric said.

“There wasn’t much time left and it was fantastic. It’s good to see people are noticing these things.”

Ramadan means Houli rises early to pray and then arrive at the club early, departing as early as 1pm to continue praying at his local mosque before breaking fast at dusk.

“It is no challenge whatsoever. For me it’s about dedication and devotion to worship and finding ways to better myself,” Houli says.

“I come in as early as I can and knock off the individual stuff and then do the team stuff and the club has been so understanding and supportive.

“Dimma texted me last night and said “I forgot about Ramadan, how are you going?” and a simple text does wonders.

“I had a massive smile on my face all night, having your coach text you and show support.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/bachar-houli-reflects-on-his-career-at-essendon-and-richmond-ahead-of-100th-game/story-e6frfkp9-1227415045048

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1153 on: July 25, 2015, 03:05:21 AM »
Richmond assistant coach Brendon Lade talking about Houli:

* He uses the ball really well and he’s one of our best runners at the Club as well.  So he’s always in position to receive the ball. His contested possession has really picked up this year, he’s more consistent in that area.  But this is the big one - I think he’s second at the Club behind Dusty for metres gained. Getting that metres gained every game is really good for us.

* That [combining tighter defence with attacking flair off half-back] is something he’s improved in his game, doing both those things a lot better than he has in the past. Bachar would be the first to admit he’s defending really well first, and then he’s playing offense second.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-07-24/houli-hits-the-heights

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1154 on: February 27, 2016, 05:23:04 AM »
VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2016-02-26/houli-ahead-of-hawks

Rebounding Richmond backman Bachar Houli is excited at the prospect of receiving some valuable assistance in turning defence into attack for the team throughout season 2016.

Over the past few seasons, Houli has shouldered much of the responsibility for this due to his elite run-and-carry ability.

Now, however, the talented left-footer is set to be backed up by the likes of experienced Carlton recruit Chris Yarran, a revitalised Reece Conca (who has been successfully trialled as a half-back during the pre-season), and promising second-year Tiger Jason Castagna.

Houli was particularly impressed with what he saw from Castagna in last Friday’s opening-round NAB Challenge match against Fremantle in Mandurah.

“I look after Jason, being his mentor,” Houli told ‘Roar Vision’.

“He only played half a game, but he really showed some dash from half-back . . . He gets another opportunity this week (v Hawthorn at Beaconsfield on Saturday) as well.

Read more: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-02-26/houli-has-high-hopes-for-handy-help