Author Topic: Bachar Houli [merged]  (Read 337915 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Bachar Houli [merged]
« Reply #1200 on: May 17, 2016, 08:05:20 PM »
So who do we upgrade? The cream?
Who would you upgrade?

IMO its a really good opportunity to upgrade someone that maybe isn't quite 100% ready. Give them a few games and let them see what is required at the level. Maybe Chol or Moore?? Both have shown good signs in the VFL. Nothing really to lose.

Thoughts??
Wouldn't mind elevating Moore at this point because he is slightly ahead in development. He can also play back, forward and even could be developed into a tall mid with his athleticism.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1201 on: May 18, 2016, 12:03:18 AM »
Chol or Moore

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1202 on: May 19, 2016, 04:45:53 PM »
So who do we upgrade? The cream?
Who would you upgrade?

IMO its a really good opportunity to upgrade someone that maybe isn't quite 100% ready. Give them a few games and let them see what is required at the level. Maybe Chol or Moore?? Both have shown good signs in the VFL. Nothing really to lose.

Thoughts??

Not sure to be honest, just not Marcon IMO. Is Castagna still on the main list now that Conca's back? I lost track of who is and isn't still upgraded but I believe he's still on the main list. So that really only leaves Chol, Moore or Soldo. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Soldo get a crack but that's more out of curiousity than actually thinking he'll perform :lol.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1203 on: May 19, 2016, 05:11:52 PM »

Not sure to be honest, just not Marcon IMO. Is Castagna still on the main list now that Conca's back?

Yes George is still on the main list. He was our rookie upgrade to fill the spare spot we had on the senior list at the start of the season, so he is there for the entire season

Short was the upgrade for Conca but has been allowed to remain on the main list because they've put McIntosh on the LTI list

We can still upgrade one of the others because they've got McKenzie on the LTI as well

My view is instead of simply upgrading another rookie why don't we give the likes of Mrakov and Butler a try and see what they've got even if they aren't 100% ready?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1204 on: May 20, 2016, 01:05:10 AM »

Not sure to be honest, just not Marcon IMO. Is Castagna still on the main list now that Conca's back?

Yes George is still on the main list. He was our rookie upgrade to fill the spare spot we had on the senior list at the start of the season, so he is there for the entire season

Short was the upgrade for Conca but has been allowed to remain on the main list because they've put McIntosh on the LTI list

We can still upgrade one of the others because they've got McKenzie on the LTI as well

My view is instead of simply upgrading another rookie why don't we give the likes of Mrakov and Butler a try and see what they've got even if they aren't 100% ready?

Thanks WP. I wasn't sure if we could have put Cas back instead of Short (not sure what the rule is on that). Agree with giving other kids a try, we don't necessarily have to give a game to a rookie

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #1205 on: May 20, 2016, 01:23:44 AM »
C moore pls
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Bachar Houli reveals wrist injury first occurred in 2014 (afl site)
« Reply #1206 on: June 23, 2016, 11:46:02 PM »
Tiger reveals injury first occurred in 2014

AFL.com.au
23 June 2016

RICHMOND defender Bachar Houli has revealed the wrist injury that has sidelined him for the past six weeks first occurred two years ago.

Houli, who will revisit his surgeon on Monday, underwent surgery in May to have a screw inserted in his left wrist after an incident at training brought the problem to the surface.

Although his original injury did not require surgery and passed quickly, the experienced half-back said he could trace the latest problem back to a match against Greater Western Sydney in 2014.

"It occurred about two years ago but the injury was very minor at the time," Houli told AFL.com.au. 

"It was a GWS game and I got pushed after I kicked and landed on it … for three or four weeks it was painful but then it went away.

"About four weeks prior to injuring it at training (this year) I was starting to feel it so I was taping my wrist.

"Then that session at training … I basically got tackled and fell to the ground and tried to brace myself by putting my hand out."

Houli was originally expected to miss eight to 10 weeks and is on track to return at the longer end of that timeline.

The 28-year-old will receive a report from his surgeon on Monday before taking the next step in his rehab.

"Once he gives me the all-clear I'll progress and do some sort of ball-handling," he said.

"I started kicking the footy with the team Tuesday, but I can't mark the footy.

"So I've actually got two coaches with me, one on the side marking the footy and the other one I'm kicking to.

"I hope I can get back in three to four weeks. I've had enough time on the sidelines."

Houli described his past six weeks as a mini pre-season, given the high running component, and said his fitness levels had improved as a result.

After taking a mental break following surgery, he has tried to stay involved with his teammates and stave off the loneliness of rehab by mentoring the club's young defenders.

"I've taken couple of boys under my wing, the guys who play off half-back – Nathan Drummond, Corey Ellis and Connor Menadue," he said.

"If I can teach them one or two things that I've learnt over the years then hopefully we'll have more players who are versatile and can run through that role."

The injury has also given Houli, who is fasting for Ramadan, more time to spend on his multicultural programs, including the Bachar Houli Islamic Schools Cup.

"We start the Bachar Houli Cup in about three weeks' time and that's stepped up as well," he said.

"We've got 10 schools involved, from grade five and six and all secondary students.

"Hopefully we can keep locating those players that we need to work on and give them every possible chance of making it to the highest level."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-23/tigers-defender-bachar-houli-reveals-origin-of-his-wrist-injury

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #1207 on: June 24, 2016, 02:13:19 AM »
Houli reveals he's limp wristed since coming to Richmond......

Tell us something we didn't know.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1208 on: August 08, 2016, 02:41:22 AM »
From Robbo's 'likes' column today:

10. Bachar Houli

He has his flaws, but boy isn’t he a weapon when he is allowed to run like he did on Friday night? The Tigers played tippety footy — touch it and move it — and Houli was rampant through half-back and the midfield. People say it’s players like Houli who didn’t help the Tigers win finals, but I disagree. When he plays well, he transforms the Tigers from crabs to a creative, running, moving football team. He had 30 touches, a game-high six inside-50s and used the ball at 83 per cent. Houli, Rance, Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin and Shaun Grigg led the way for Oleg Markov, Adam Marcon, Jayden Short and Daniel Rioli in a much-needed victory

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-tackle-marcus-bontempelli-paul-roos-and-collingwood-make-mark-robinsons-likes-dislikes-for-round-20/news-story/512ca52a103cad931e4ce000f7365d9b

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1209 on: August 08, 2016, 05:13:35 AM »

10. Bachar Houli

He has his flaws, but boy isn’t he a weapon when the stakes are low, opposition sides apply no presurre and allow him to run like he did on Friday night? The Tigers played tippety footy — touch it and move it — and Houli was rampant through half-back and the midfield. People say it’s players like Houli who didn’t help the Tigers win finals and they're right, which makes this article all the more pointless. When he plays well, he transforms the Tigers from crabs to a creative, running, moving football team. He had 30 touches, a game-high six inside-50s and used the ball at 83 per cent but Rance, Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt led the way for Oleg Markov, Jayden Short and Daniel Rioli in a much-needed victory

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/the-tackle-marcus-bontempelli-paul-roos-and-collingwood-make-mark-robinsons-likes-dislikes-for-round-20/news-story/512ca52a103cad931e4ce000f7365d9b

e.f.a. Slobbo
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1210 on: August 08, 2016, 07:45:32 PM »

10. Bachar Houli

He has his flaws, but boy isn’t he a weapon when he is allowed to run like he did on Friday night? The Tigers played tippety footy — touch it and move it — and Houli was rampant through half-back and the midfield. People say it’s players like Houli who didn’t help the Tigers win finals, but I disagree. When he plays well, he transforms the Tigers from crabs to a creative, running, moving football team. He had 30 touches, a game-high six inside-50s and used the ball at 83 per cent. Houli, Rance, Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin and Shaun Grigg led the way for Oleg Markov, Adam Marcon, Jayden Short and Daniel Rioli in a much-needed victory

Can you believe this guys gets paid for his thoughts on football.
The thing with good sides, finals sides, they don't let players like Houli near the footy and know he isn't going to get it himself.
He played pretty well the other night but against a very poor defensive side. Do you think Geelong will give my that latitude this week?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Bachar Houli's contract extended until end of 2018 [update]
« Reply #1211 on: August 24, 2016, 04:31:46 PM »
The Tigers have extended Houli’s contract until the end of 2018.

Houli has achieved a top-10 Jack Dyer Medal placing in each of those six seasons, while Grigg has managed a top-10 finish five times.

Although Houli missed 10 games because of a wrist injury this year, he has performed admirably in his 11 appearances.

The 28-year-old is averaging 25.1 disposals per game, is ranked seventh in the competition for rebound-50s per game and eighth for marks per game.

He racked up an AFL career-high 36 disposals in the Round 3 match against Adelaide at Etihad Stadium.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-08-24/houli-grigg-extend-tigerland-tenure

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1212 on: August 24, 2016, 04:40:37 PM »
All hail Clanger King Bachar, the Panic Merchant of Punt Road, where the best form of defence is non-existant!  :gotigers

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #1213 on: August 24, 2016, 04:55:07 PM »
Reckon he deserves it 👍👍

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1214 on: August 24, 2016, 05:28:34 PM »
Reckon he deserves it 👍👍
He would have been perfect trade bait but alas we don't have the guts....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.