Author Topic: Who do you want @ 6?  (Read 41386 times)

Ramps

Re: Who do you want @ 6?
« Reply #210 on: October 27, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »
Purely opinion based on limited online footage but for mine none of these midfield guys standout like cotch/dusty or Lids did in their highlight reels. I'd go Darling, perfect 3rd tall that can play high, plays it tough and hard and is a very intelligent footballer, would run rings around 2nd and 3rd tall defenders imo which makes him a very valuable player considering jack will always get the number 1 defender. Will also take the dbl team heat off JR and our other tall bc he will be a handful.

Theres a lot of logic in that  :gotigers

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #211 on: October 27, 2010, 02:45:23 PM »
Purely opinion based on limited online footage but for mine none of these midfield guys standout like cotch/dusty or Lids did in their highlight reels.

That would make sense since they are, in reality, many draft places later than the players you listed. Damn compromised draft.  :-\

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #212 on: October 27, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »
Purely opinion based on limited online footage but for mine none of these midfield guys standout like cotch/dusty or Lids did in their highlight reels. I'd go Darling, perfect 3rd tall that can play high, plays it tough and hard and is a very intelligent footballer, would run rings around 2nd and 3rd tall defenders imo which makes him a very valuable player considering jack will always get the number 1 defender. Will also take the dbl team heat off JR and our other tall bc he will be a handful.

While you see him as a 3rd forward, there is more reason to pick him for Richmond.

Don't have any doubt that Hardwick wants some bigger bodies to work thru the midfield but also have the skills to rotate on field as a half forward or back.
Since Darling has stressed that he sees himself as a midfielder but has been picked as a taller forward in his junior career, he fits into this philosophy perfectly.
I don't know if this would be workable and whether we would use our first pick on Darling but it is an intriguing option IMO.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: October 27, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102361/default.aspx

Have a look at this link MT and  Stripeee and let me know your thoughts

tony_montana

« Reply #214 on: October 27, 2010, 11:08:19 PM »

While you see him as a 3rd forward, there is more reason to pick him for Richmond.

Don't have any doubt that Hardwick wants some bigger bodies to work thru the midfield but also have the skills to rotate on field as a half forward or back.
Since Darling has stressed that he sees himself as a midfielder but has been picked as a taller forward in his junior career, he fits into this philosophy perfectly.
I don't know if this would be workable and whether we would use our first pick on Darling but it is an intriguing option IMO.

yep agreed, he has said he doesnt want to be typecast as just a key fwd as he has shown he can play midfield and believes he has smething to offer in that department. I compare him to a Pav/Hammill type, good size unit, and can play high or deep.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #215 on: October 28, 2010, 12:21:45 PM »

Have a look at this link MT and  Stripeee and let me know your thoughts
They've mixed up the package there. The highlights are initially of Polec but then swap to another player (No 3 - rightfooter. He looks alright by the way  :-\)

Polec's a nice grab, fleet by foot and a long kick but my problem with him remains two fold - I don't think he can pinpoint a pass and I don't see him tackling or applying much pressure defensively. Perhaps that is a result of the type of footage they have chosen to 'highlight' but they are my big concerns about htis fellow. If you watch his kicking it is all up and under. I haven't seen any grass cutters like Lids, Martin or Cotch have in their predraft highlights. I worry this fellow may become another Fiona or McMuffin for us....

He may turn out to be a great player for us but at the moment I haven't seen a young midfielder that I am desperate to get as yet.

Just my opinion of course cambooneee  ;)

Stripes

PS Just out of interest does anyone know how well Polec went in the kicking test at the Draft Combine?

Ramps

« Reply #216 on: October 28, 2010, 12:33:52 PM »
If Pitt was another 7 or 8 kgs heavier he would be right up there. Very good player Pitt IMHO.

Offline elliot

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #217 on: October 28, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »
Polec didn't do any physical testing at the combine due to injury in the SaNFL final.

His defensive side is there, averaging 4 tackles a game in the championships.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: October 28, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »
Polec didn't do any physical testing at the combine due to injury in the SaNFL final.

His defensive side is there, averaging 4 tackles a game in the championships.

In his profile notes its also something he highlights about himself.  Take that as you will.

In his own words
What type of player are you?
I am a long left-footed wingman who is efficient going inside 50 and kicking at goals. My work rate around the ground is good and my defensiveness is one in a million.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #219 on: October 28, 2010, 06:59:28 PM »

When I question Polec's kicking I'm not having a go at him about other things or saying he's a dud. Every other attribute he has I really like - his pace, workrate, footy smarts and awareness, and self-confidence - are the reasons he's rated so highly. The Stephen Hill comparison is not far off the mark either. If Polec's kicking was up with his other attributes he'd be the No.1 player in this draft for mine.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »
All good, not having a go - just think his kicking is good when not under pressure - is defiantly not a outside player and believe the kicking can be fixed . Would like a second option on his kicking from a recruiter etc

Hope we get him if Gaff and Heppel are gone. I do like Smith though, just doesn't have the x factor that Polec has. Just love the way he moves through traffic a bit like some of the best mid fielders.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #221 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52:09 PM »

When I question Polec's kicking I'm not having a go at him about other things or saying he's a dud. Every other attribute he has I really like - his pace, workrate, footy smarts and awareness, and self-confidence - are the reasons he's rated so highly. The Stephen Hill comparison is not far off the mark either. If Polec's kicking was up with his other attributes he'd be the No.1 player in this draft for mine.
The main difference I see betweeen Hill & Polec is that Hill was first and foremost a defender at U18 level, so his defensive side was always there as one of his best attributes. I don't see this in Polec and he even admits he needs to work on this side of his game.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #222 on: October 28, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
Im getting the feeling u guys like him becuase u have to like him... would have been good if we got Heppel or Gaff  :-[ still want Harper  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2010, 01:27:19 AM »

The main difference I see betweeen Hill & Polec is that Hill was first and foremost a defender at U18 level, so his defensive side was always there as one of his best attributes. I don't see this in Polec and he even admits he needs to work on this side of his game.
My Stephen Hill comparison was more related to the fact Polec can play mid/wing/flank, runs all day and is super quick across the ground with or without the footy. I wouldn't say Polec doesn't have a defensive side but true tackling was one of Hill's strengths at U18 level whereas Polec admits himself it's something he needs to work on. My main issue with Polec is his kicking especially over distance. He bombs it more than controls it like Brodie Smith does.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2010, 04:28:03 PM »
West Coast is set to pounce on West Perth youngster Jack Darling with the fourth pick in the draft if the burly forward is overlooked by the Gold Coast, which has the first three selections.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/worsfold-says-krakouer-not-in-eagles-best-22/story-e6frf9jf-1225946566646