Author Topic: Cotchin in great pre-season shape (richmondfc.com.au)  (Read 1801 times)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Cotchin in great pre-season shape (richmondfc.com.au)
« on: October 27, 2010, 02:48:40 PM »
Cotchin in great pre-season shape

RICHMOND young gun Trent Cotchin is set for his best pre-season at the club.

Cotchin has battled injury through his first two pre-seasons at Punt Rd, fighting achilles and leg problems that saw him on modified programs designed to protect him from further injury.

This year he will still be in a modified program, but the differences from his teammates' routines will be marginal, and midfield coach Wayne Campbell said he was thrilled to have the 20-year-old back in such good shape.

"This is certainly the best he's started," Campbell said at Punt Rd after the team's first training session of the pre-season.

"In year one he ran in January, in year two he ran in February, and he's out there running and kicking the footy, so certainly as coaches, we're pretty excited by that.

"There's a long way to go, but he's certainly miles ahead of where he was before."

The Tigers added big-bodied midfielder Shaun Grigg to their list in trade week for the loss of medium forward Andrew Collins, and while the 22-year-old hasn't arrived for training - those starting this week are the first- to third-year players - Campbell said the addition of another larger body would help his midfielders.

"He hasn't started yet, but he'll just add to our midfield mix - big body, strong runner, can use the footy - and hopefully he can release some of our better users of the footy, getting it inside and then getting it outside to some better users," Campbell said.

"We're really excited about getting him to come on board - we're sad to lose Andy Collins, but Carlton was interested in him.

"We certainly targeted him, and in the end it was Andy's choice to go, so hopefully we see it as a win-win for both clubs."

Less clear-cut is the future of out-of-favour Essendon midfielder Bachar Houli, who has declared that he wants to head to the Tigers, but with no deal done in trade week, he needs to go via the draft.

Essendon has not yet delisted the out-of-contract 22-year-old, holding onto hopes that it can change his mind, but if not, it will have to delist him either in the first list lodgement on Friday, or the second on November 10th.

Until then, he is unable to train with the Tigers, but Campbell said the club was confident of adding him to their squad, hoping to get him with the third pick in the NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft.

"He's certainly keen to come to the club, so we've still got to wait for the pre-season draft to officially get that done, but he's certainly indicated he's keen to come to Richmond."

Melbourne forward Brad Miller played 133 games for the Demons before he was delisted after the 2010 season, and it looks likely that the Tigers will pick him up as a mature-age rookie, filling the spot occupied by Graham Polak last year.

With just three players who have played in excess of 100 games, the Tigers are desperate for the leadership and maturity that a player like Miller would bring to the group.

Campbell said the 27-year-old wasn't expected to play the full season, but he would be used both as a player and as a pseudo-development coach.

"We're a really young group, we've got a young forward line, he's played some footy, he's an outstanding character and outstanding leader," he said.

"We just think he can help (Jack) Riewoldt and (Ben) Griffiths and these sort of guys, and play some footy, but I don't think we expect him to play 22 games here."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/104632/default.aspx
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Cotchin in great pre-season shape (richmondfc.com.au)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »
Looks really good som other photos make him look very stocky. The picture of Martin is enourmous.
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
Good cream in ur pants stuff

Go the Cotch

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »
Touchwood no more interrupted preseasons and he's right to go from rounds 1-22 :pray. Letting Cotch loose for 4 quarters fully fit is what we've all been hanging out for  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:46:05 PM »
How often have we seen big bodied Richmond midfielders? Not that often I wouldn't think. I must say it is exciting. Grigg Dusty and Cotch have all got some great size about them, I wonder If Lids has beefed up some more.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:48:48 PM »
Cotch is ready to let loose - Look out !!!!!!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »
Cotch is ready to let loose - Look out !!!!!!

Fantastic stuff. I am sure the fitness staff will have him conditioned just right, unlike at this time in 2008 when he was in the rags running along some beach before he reinjured his achilles.

Looks like he has hit the weights too. :thumbsup

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:08:47 PM »
lets hope Bart has trained the Cotch to last
all season and finals :pray

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond gets a kick out of Trent Cotchin (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 10:52:04 PM »
Richmond gets a kick out of Trent Cotchin

* Kieran Jones
    * October 27, 2010 10:14PM

RICHMOND midfielder Trent Cotchin ran on to Punt Rd Oval to start training with the main group for the first time in four pre-seasons with the Tigers.

Cotchin has battled achilles and leg injuries since he arrived at the club, and this year will be his first full pre-season since being drafted at pick No. 2 in 2007.

Midfield coach Wayne Campbell said the club was excited to have Cotchin at full fitness.

"It's certainly the best he's started. Year one he ran January and year two he ran February," Campbell said.

Cotchin's bad run continued last year when he was again on a modified program because of injury. "He's still got a long way to go but he's certainly miles ahead of where he was before," Campbell said.

Campbell said the young Tigers had come back in good shape.

"You find they're a lot keener to get back these days as opposed to a few years ago when it took a bit to get them back," he said.

"We've got first to seven (year players), they come back first," he said.

"That's everyone bar three players for us so we get them all back pretty soon."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-gets-a-kick-out-of-trent-cotchin/story-e6frf9jf-1225944426029

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
Re: Richmond gets a kick out of Trent Cotchin (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 07:14:29 AM »
"You find they're a lot keener to get back these days as opposed to a few years ago when it took a bit to get them back," he said.

We've got rid of the old culture and have a group of young kids on a mission to success.

(At least that's what I hope.)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »
On BF they said Cotch wasn't expected at training yesterday but he showed up anyway and lead the training  :thumbsup.

How often have we seen big bodied Richmond midfielders? Not that often I wouldn't think. I must say it is exciting. Grigg Dusty and Cotch have all got some great size about them, I wonder If Lids has beefed up some more.
Despite the evolution of tactics, footy especially finals footy hasn't really changed has it.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Will be our next captain no doubt about that and i think he really wants it too.

Watching him in the last game against Port where he huddled the boys up at half time was sensational
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »
Will be our next captain no doubt about that and i think he really wants it too.

Watching him in the last game against Port where he huddled the boys up at half time was sensational

WHat about Lids he seems a good leader for teh Boys Vice maby?  :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 09:52:55 PM »

WHat about Lids he seems a good leader for teh Boys Vice maby?  :thumbsup

Personally would love either but i dont know Cotch just seems like he wants it. I asked him such at the B & F and he said he would love to captain the club.

Lids has never put a foot wrong since drafted but seeing Cotch rev the boys up that day really says a lot in my book.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »
On BF they said Cotch wasn't expected at training yesterday but he showed up anyway and lead the training  :thumbsup.

The Cousins influence?

I could see Cousins doing something like this.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do