Author Topic: AFL switch to Virgin [merged]  (Read 13699 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Virgin deal with the Suns angers other AFL clubs (Age)
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 03:37:36 PM »

And I'll make sure I remember that it's all about Frequent Flyer points when and if before June when we have 2 trips to the NT and if one of our players sustains an injury (knee ligament strain, bad hammy etc) that needs the said player to be upgraded that it's only about FF points and not player welfare  :thumbsup

What's it got to do with player welfare? Virgin has upgrades to, it's not all cattle class.........
I love your loyalty WP but I think your being a little hysterical about the whole situation.

correct

Virgin have the ability to upgrade players to Premium and even allow them to have 2 premium seats which is even better than Business.

Some people just dont appreciate the good things that Andy D does. He is a man of integrity and this time has delivered the goods. ;)
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
What's it got to do with player welfare? Virgin has upgrades to, it's not all cattle class.........
I love your loyalty WP but I think your being a little hysterical about the whole situation.

Upgrades on domestic flights?

Have you never had the pleasure of a flight from hell on Virgin - and it does happen. Personally I had a wonderful flight from Tassie once - we went up then we went down and we got bumped all around in perfect conditions with the cabin crew joking that we maybe might be going swimming shortly... When I got home and after I had a few days to calm down I thought rightly I should raise it with them (yes complain) I got told the comments by the crew were only made in jest

Hence why I don't fly Virgin Blue - only ever did it once and for a person who has a fear of flying once was definitely enough..

You dont think having a bloke who's done an ACL being squashed in cattle class isn't a welfare issue?

Some people just dont appreciate the good things that Andy D does. He is a man of integrity and this time has delivered the goods. ;)

If you think there is going to be any financial advantage to the clubs under this deal daniel you are dreaming. No $$ will flow through

And I wonder if you'd be so happy about it if (hypothetically the RFC were on verge of signing Jetstar as their major sponsor and now can't because of this terrific deal  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »

Have you never had the pleasure of a flight from hell on Virgin - and it does happen. Personally I had a wonderful flight from Tassie once - we went up then we went down and we got bumped all around in perfect conditions with the cabin crew joking that we maybe might be going swimming shortly... When I got home and after I had a few days to calm down I thought rightly I should raise it with them (yes complain) I got told the comments by the crew were only made in jest

Hence why I don't fly Virgin Blue - only ever did it once and for a person who has a fear of flying once was definitely enough..

You dont think having a bloke who's done an ACL being squashed in cattle class isn't a welfare issue?

If you think there is going to be any financial advantage to the clubs under this deal daniel you are dreaming. No $$ will flow through

And I wonder if you'd be so happy about it if (hypothetically the RFC were on verge of signing Jetstar as their major sponsor and now can't because of this terrific deal  ;D

Mate, I have had bad flights with all three airlines, IMO Jetstar has is the worst by miles but it happens to them all. I fly Virgin more often than not (Close to 4 times a week) and I an assure you 99.9% of the time there are no issues with the flights at all. If my memory serves me correctly it is qantas the has been in the news lately for close to 10 mid air incidents in the past 4 weeks? and lets not forget about the Plane that went into free fall over WA last year! Even when Virgin had there computer meltdown there service in helping people out was impeccable under the circumstances, I have been stranded with qantas and coped the suck it up attitude! service wise the two airlines are miles apart!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 04:43:12 PM »

your right i would do a back flip if Jetstar were about to become our major sponsor but we all know thats not going to happen so lets start dealing with reality.

Reality is you had one bad trip with Virgin and now hold this vendetta about all things Virgin. Thats some serious tears going on there.

WP if a guy had just done his ACL Virgin WILL accomodate him with 2 premium class seats. You must be living in la la land if you think they would put in in cattle class

This is a great outcome and possibly the first time Andy D should be applauded.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 04:49:41 PM »

WP if a guy had just done his ACL Virgin WILL accomodate him with 2 premium class seats. You must be living in la la land if you think they would put in in cattle class

Maybe WP can tell us what Qantas did in the same situation??

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Virgin keen to bench Qantas sponsorship
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 06:26:54 PM »

AUtomatic upgrade to business class  :thumbsup

Reality is you had one bad trip with Virgin and now hold this vendetta about all things Virgin. Thats some serious tears going on there.

This is a great outcome and possibly the first time Andy D should be applauded.

Interesting no-one answered my original question about VB upgrades on domestic flights ??? I take it happes now in some form?

And you know what daniel you are right one bad experience is all it took. But it was extremely bad

And when you have a fear of flying like I do it only takes one bad flight to turn you off flying on a particular airline

That's why I will no longer fly Canadian Airlines as well - one bad flight

And to be honest with you fear of flying is not about tears it is about fear and until you experience it you have got no hope of understanding.

BTW I am not the only who refuses to fly Virgin BLue - I know a number of people who wont got near them either; just like I know peole who wont fly within Aust unless it's Virgin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 07:38:06 PM »
3aw were claiming today Andy D was kicked out of the Qantas club lol.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »

AUtomatic upgrade to business class  :thumbsup

What's to say Virgin wont be doing the same thing?

Interesting no-one answered my original question about VB upgrades on domestic flights ??? I take it happes now in some form?

Sorry mate, I must have missed the part where you asked that question? And yes Virgin do have a premium Class, the same as business class on there domestic flights.

And you know what daniel you are right one bad experience is all it took. But it was extremely bad

And when you have a fear of flying like I do it only takes one bad flight to turn you off flying on a particular airline

That's why I will no longer fly Canadian Airlines as well - one bad flight

And to be honest with you fear of flying is not about tears it is about fear and until you experience it you have got no hope of understanding.

BTW I am not the only who refuses to fly Virgin BLue - I know a number of people who wont got near them either; just like I know people who wont fly within Aust unless it's Virgin

So let me get this straight, you are disgusted with the AFL for switching airlines because you have a fear of flying and the only Virgin flight you ever took was a little bumpy and it scared the hell out of you???

No wonder the world is going mad............

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 08:39:31 PM »
So let me get this straight, you are disgusted with the AFL for switching airlines because you have a fear of flying and the only Virgin flight you ever took was a little bumpy and it scared the hell out of you???

First up I am glad you think a fear of flying amounts to nothing more than being scared during a bumpy flight - if only it was that simple.

It is actually alot worse than that. As I also metioned Virgin Blue isn't the only airline I wont go on because of bad experiences.

But the way I am reading it via the above (and forgive if I am off base) but you seem to think it isn't a serious problem so we will leave it at that

But in answer to why I am disgusted:

I am disgusted with the AFL for making the switch not because of my views on Virgin Blue but because they again let their stakeholders down with a lack of consultation.

My issue is and always has been that yet again they didn't consult with the Clubs they are supposed to represent, didn't consult with the AFLPA and seemed to have yet again chased the $$$$ rathering that assessing and evaluating what was in front of them alot like what they did with the last TV rights... Andy D constantly goes on about the AFL doesn't make decisions based solely on the $$$ involved but I am yet to find any evidence they do anything but only consider the $$$ on offer

Brett Burton prez of the AFLPA actually said today they weren't consulted prior but since the deal was announced and agreed to beu they (AFLPA) have since had meetings with the reps from Virgin Blue to dicsuss their concerns. He went onto say that a number of their concerns have been allayed and they are confortable with the deal. And I will admit that is pleasing to hear.

But I would have thought and would want to know why the meetings didn't happen prior to any deal being struck   

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »

First up I am glad you think a fear of flying amounts to nothing more than being scared during a bumpy flight - if only it was that simple.

It is actually alot worse than that. As I also metioned Virgin Blue isn't the only airline I wont go on because of bad experiences.

But the way I am reading it via the above (and forgive if I am off base) but you seem to think it isn't a serious problem so we will leave it at that

But in answer to why I am disgusted:

I am disgusted with the AFL for making the switch not because of my views on Virgin Blue but because they again let their stakeholders down with a lack of consultation.

My issue is and always has been that yet again they didn't consult with the Clubs they are supposed to represent, didn't consult with the AFLPA and seemed to have yet again chased the $$$$ rathering that assessing and evaluating what was in front of them alot like what they did with the last TV rights... Andy D constantly goes on about the AFL doesn't make decisions based solely on the $$$ involved but I am yet to find any evidence they do anything but only consider the $$$ on offer

Brett Burton prez of the AFLPA actually said today they weren't consulted prior but since the deal was announced and agreed to beu they (AFLPA) have since had meetings with the reps from Virgin Blue to dicsuss their concerns. He went onto say that a number of their concerns have been allayed and they are confortable with the deal. And I will admit that is pleasing to hear.

But I would have thought and would want to know why the meetings didn't happen prior to any deal being struck   

No worries WP, I don't want to argue with you and in a way I see your point with the way the AFL went about it, I just think you are a being a little unfair on Virgin considering you have only taken the one flight with them! For your sake I hope you never cop a bumpy ride with Qantas because it will be a long drive from state to state............

P.S If you thought the plane to Tassie was rough, you should try the boat ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »
No worries WP, I don't want to argue with you and in a way I see your point with the way the AFL went about it, I just think you are a being a little unfair on Virgin considering you have only taken the one flight with them! For your sake I hope you never cop a bumpy ride with Qantas because it will be a long drive from state to state............

:thumbsup ;D

I've never done the boat. I can't I get sea sick. Did the ferry years ago in NZ that was bad enough  :rollin puked everywhere  ;D

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 10:49:23 PM »

:thumbsup ;D

I've never done the boat. I can't I get sea sick. Did the ferry years ago in NZ that was bad enough  :rollin puked everywhere  ;D

lol......I wouldn't be going near the spirit of Tasmania then ;D ;D ;D

gerkin greg

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 04:55:42 PM »
Love Virgin. Comfy seats, Fox Sports, cheap tickets and the hottest hosties  :thumbsup
Qantas is tired and overpriced and Jetstar has stuffed service and the smallest legroom.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 09:58:37 PM »
and Jetstar has stuffed service and the smallest legroom.

I wouldn't have though leg room would have been a big issue for a Gherkin?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:46:36 PM by Tiger-from-Tas »

gerkin greg

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
Why is that pal?  ???