Author Topic: AFL switch to Virgin [merged]  (Read 13673 times)

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
Re: Virgin keen to bench Qantas sponsorship
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 08:45:49 PM »
Why is that pal?  ???

I didn't think Gherkins had legs??

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »
Old Greggy does though

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 08:49:29 PM »
Old Greggy does though

Opp's, sorry if I'v offended you Gerks, as they say "assumption is the mother of all F@#% Up's" :-[ :-[

gerkin greg

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »
nah dont worry mate, i assume you need to book two seats so you have enough head rests
i sometimes request an ottoman to rest the gerkin on, or a jar to keep it cool

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 06:58:34 AM »
Caro said on 3AW last night that one of the requirements of the AFL's new Airlain agreement was that whoever go the gig they had to agree to be a major sponsor of the Gold Coast to the tune of $950K a season. 

She reckons QANTAS refused and Virgin said OK and as a result Virgin got the gig and the Sunds are $950k better off without having to lift a finger

She said that is the other reason clubs are peeved - more preferential treatment for the Suns

I reckon if true then it's another example of the lack of ethics by the AFL and it sucks
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 08:47:37 AM »
Caro said on 3AW last night that one of the requirements of the AFL's new Airlain agreement was that whoever go the gig they had to agree to be a major sponsor of the Gold Coast to the tune of $950K a season. 

She reckons QANTAS refused and Virgin said OK and as a result Virgin got the gig and the Sunds are $950k better off without having to lift a finger

She said that is the other reason clubs are peeved - more preferential treatment for the Suns

I reckon if true then it's another example of the lack of ethics by the AFL and it sucks

what i dont understand is why do people make a fuss about us not being allowed to pouch Tiger Airways because of the Qantas alliance but the Pies are allowed to have Emirates as their sponsor even with Virgin's direct partnership with Etihad.

Clearly you are allowed to have any sponsor you like or is it that Pies can but no one else can.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »
There is a list of protected sponsors, that is sponsors that clubs or players cannot take on sponsorship from competitors to. I'm not sure what exactly that list is but i think it is 5 in total.

My guess would be that considering the AFL have asked as part of the agreement that virgin do not sponsor other codes then the AFL would reciprocate by having virgin as a protected sponsor.

I think there was a disagreement between the AFL and docklands over edihad having naming rights but the stadium managers simply stuck to their guns.

As for tiger airways, March said that sports sponsorship was not on their agenda. Considering emirates sponsor colonwoood id also guess that quantas are not on the protected species list, or their sponsorship was in place before quantas came on board? Considering where Richmond are aiming for, would we really want sponsorship from a second rate unreliable company? :P
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »
There is a list of protected sponsors, that is sponsors that clubs or players cannot take on sponsorship from competitors to. I'm not sure what exactly that list is but i think it is 5 in total.

My guess would be that considering the AFL have asked as part of the agreement that virgin do not sponsor other codes then the AFL would reciprocate by having virgin as a protected sponsor.

I think there was a disagreement between the AFL and docklands over edihad having naming rights but the stadium managers simply stuck to their guns.

As for tiger airways, March said that sports sponsorship was not on their agenda. Considering emirates sponsor colonwoood id also guess that quantas are not on the protected species list, or their sponsorship was in place before quantas came on board? Considering where Richmond are aiming for, would we really want sponsorship from a second rate unreliable company? :P

Al im not suggesting Tiger is who we should aim for. I am the first to admit i cant stand the airline and yes they are second rate.

I am just baffled at how we cant generate a descent enough sponsor. Someone is not doing their job
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

gerkin greg

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 11:09:28 AM »
It's all Tom Hislop's fault

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »
what i dont understand is why do people make a fuss about us not being allowed to pouch Tiger Airways because of the Qantas alliance but the Pies are allowed to have Emirates as their sponsor even with Virgin's direct partnership with Etihad.

Clearly you are allowed to have any sponsor you like or is it that Pies can but no one else can.

daniel,

It isn't as simple as you've made out

As al has pointed out it is about certain sponsors being protected

Take Virgin Blue out of this for a minute and let's go back to the previous deal with QANTAS. The agreement QANTAS had with the AFL was with regard to Domestic carrying only not international.

Emirates is an International airline only and as such is not in competition with QANTAS domestic, hence why they are able to sponsor the Pies.

However, when the AFL was sponsored by QANTAS and they were deemed a "protected sponsor" and therefore the AFL would not allow either Virgin or Tiger Airways to sponsor WFL clubs unless QANTAS gave the OK - which when you are handing over $5mil a year you are entitled to that

Now Virgin Blue has the same right as QANTAS did previously with regard to Domestic airlines

The Etihad sook-a-thon between at the AFL & Docklands - that was AFL posturing to try and get better stadium deal

The issue here is the AFL have organised as part of their sponsorship deal and tacked on deal for Gold Coast. Which means they have been handed a lot of money for doing very little

Now hypothetically, if the RFC were to do a deal with say "Air NZ" or "Thai Airways" or another international carrier the AFL would be hard pressed to veto it becuase the the Emirates/Pies deal

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: AFL switch to Virgin Blue [merged]
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 02:44:05 AM »
Deal resolves controversy over AFL airline change

* Michael Warner
    * February 22, 2011

FOOTBALL'S airline saga has ended after Virgin Blue and the AFL agreed to improved arrangements for travelling players.

Under a deal struck by Virgin, league chiefs and the AFL Players' Association, players flying to and from interstate games will be guaranteed an exit row or premium economy seat.

If an upgrade is not available, a spare seat between teammates travelling in economy class will be guaranteed.

Players also will be granted unlimited access to Virgin's business class lounges, free in-flight entertainment and VIP check-ins.

The deal was made possible after the AFL agreed to increase the travel subsidy to accommodate five extra members of a club's travelling party.

"They are expanding it from 45 to 50 - so you effectively get five extra seats subsidised whatever way you want to use them," West Coast Eagles player delegate Adam Selwood said. "We were pretty happy once we got word."

The AFL cut ties with Qantas last year in favour of a $6 million deal with Virgin.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett led the charge against the move, claiming it put player welfare at risk.

Stars from several clubs also raised misgivings.

Players travelling with Qantas regularly were upgraded to business class, which Virgin currently does not offer. Premium economy seats offer extra leg room.

"The AFL and Virgin have listened to the concerns of AFL players and acted to ensure that their air travel arrangements reflected their status as elite sportspeople," AFLPA spokesman Ben Hart said.

"The feedback we have had from players is that Virgin were already very accommodating - our members have been impressed with the service to date.

"The further improvements agreed on by the AFL and Virgin are a great example of players and the governing body working in partnership to achieve good outcomes."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/deal-resolves-controversy-over-afl-airline-change/story-e6frf9jf-1226009713801

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL's sponsorship deal with Virgin Australia may be grounded (Age)
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2020, 11:01:25 PM »
AFL's sponsorship deal with Virgin Australia may be grounded

Jake Niall
The Age
21 April 2020

The future of the AFL's multi-million-dollar sponsorship with Virgin Australia is clouded as the airline prepares to place itself into voluntary administration.

Sources said the AFL receives between $5 million and $10 million per annum as part of their lucrative partnership with Virgin, but that the extent of any financial damage will be determined by the potential administrator and the contractual obligation under the sponsorship deal.

Virgin also has sponsorship deals with Carlton, Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast, as well as the Supercars championship.

Read more: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-s-sponsorship-deal-with-virgin-australia-may-be-grounded-20200420-p54ll1.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: AFL switch to Virgin [merged]
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2023, 09:29:22 PM »

Ummm that article is over 3 years old.

Carlton, GWS and GC lost their major sponsorship but the AFL deal remained.
Doh! Not sure why it appeared in my recent timeline. I'll delete the posts.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2023, 10:36:33 PM »
So the Scum didn't lose 2 mil?   >:(
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2023, 07:10:07 AM »
So the Scum didn't lose 2 mil?   >:(

They did, just on 3 years ago  ;D