Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 424365 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Reece Conca on 3aw now
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2010, 06:51:10 PM »
Reece is about to be 3aw with Gerard Healy and Dwayne Russell

Offline Nugget_12

• Tiger Fanatic!
  • Future Richmond star
Re: Pick 6. Reece Conca
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
Has he been on yet? ive just tuned in!
Pain is Temporary, Pride Lasts Forever!................Keep ya heads up Tiges!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Reece Conca on 3aw now
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »
Yep Reece was just on before 7pm calling in from a restaurant toilet  :wallywink

* Agreed with Healy's summary that he liken to Ryan Griffen

* He was having dinner with some of the Tiger boys at a restaurant so had to snuck into the loo to do the interview lol.

* Paul Kelly was his hero as a kid. Had the No.14 on his back.

* Skin folds are 40. Parents run a kebabs/souvalaki business in WA so he needs to stay away from the kebabs.

* He needed to be invited to the Gold Coast the day before so everything had to be kept hush hush. Russell of course had to bring up that his name was released pre-draft on the RFC website.

* Started with the Perth Colts (U18s) and progressed through to the ressies and seniors in the WAFL. Pretty comfortable playing senior footy as he's quick.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
In praise of Reece (RFC)
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »
In praise of Reece
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg
Fri 03 Dec, 2010

As the CEO of WAFL club, Perth, Brian Leys would love to have young gun Reece Conca strutting his stuff in the team’s midfield next year.

Leys, however, is proud that Conca was taken so high (pick six overall) in the recent AFL National Draft.  And, he’s even happier the 18-year-old will be carving out his league career at Richmond.

From 1988-94, Leys played 110 senior games with the Tigers, providing the Club with solid service in his role as a defender.

After leaving Punt Road, Leys enjoyed considerable success at SANFL club Port Adelaide, playing in four premierships.

He was appointed CEO at Perth just over a year ago, and in that time has got to know Reece Conca well . . .

“Reece is a fantastic kid,” Leys said.

“He’s got wonderful leadership qualities . . . he’s a natural leader.  He slipped into our senior side, and in his second game he had 29 possessions against the top team Claremont.

“I spoke to Richard Taylor (Richmond recruiting officer) when he was over here throughout the year, and he asked me what sort of kid he is.  I said, ‘if you want a kid who’s got perfect character, has had a great upbringing, and is a wonderful citizen, that’s Reece Conca’.

“He’s got a fantastic family, who have a restaurant just around the corner from Lathlain Oval (Perth’s home ground).  So, any time Richmond supporters are in town, they have to come down to Perth, and they also have to eat at Conca’s Restaurant.”

So enamored was Leys with Conca, he even sang his praises to a couple of his old Tiger teammates, who are still very much involved at Punt Road these days.

“I had him booked in at Tigerland early . . . I spoke to ‘Flea’ (Dale Weightman) and ‘Benny’ (Brendon Gale) about him.  I just said, ‘this kid can play’.

“And, I’d been joking with him for three or four months that was going to the Tigers, and giving him a bit of a history lesson about the Club.”

Leys has no doubts that Conca will totally embrace Richmond.

“Reece has embraced this place, firstly as a colts player, and then as a senior player,” he said.

“While he was waiting to get drafted, he was down here training a couple of nights a week with the boys.  And, he didn’t strut around like he was about to get drafted, either.

“He’s been grateful to be involved with Perth Footy Club, and now he’s grateful to be involved with Richmond.

“He’s got a smile on his face due to the fact that he’s going to a club that’s been around for over a hundred years . . . It’s in the heart of Melbourne, and he gets to play virtually every second week during the season at the MCG.  I don’t think people realise what it’s like to get drafted and have the MCG as your home ground.

“I’m sure he’ll repay Richmond’s faith in him and go on to be a top player for the Club, for many years.” 

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/105891/default.aspx

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2010, 07:26:52 PM »
The more I think about it the more I like Reece. :thumbsup

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
News on Conca
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »
Any news on our pick 6?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: News on Conca
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2010, 06:31:52 PM »
Reece was still in the rehab group leading into Christmas as he was coming off pre-draft ankle surgery. The Club said he'll play early on in the season next year though as a outside mid.

Offline tiger till i die

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2010, 07:13:08 PM »
Reece was still in the rehab group leading into Christmas as he was coming off pre-draft ankle surgery. The Club said he'll play early on in the season next year though as a outside mid.

would have loved to have seen him play carlton round 1

Offline elliot

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2010, 07:39:29 PM »
He'll resume full training after the Christmas break, So he may still be inline to play round 1 depending on how well he  recovers/trains.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2010, 07:50:12 PM »
He'll resume full training after the Christmas break, So he may still be inline to play round 1 depending on how well he  recovers/trains.

First year draftee - it would be hard to imagine him being forward enough for Round 1 if he is only starting full training after Christmas.  My uninformed stab at this premature stage would be Round 4-6 at the earliest.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Reece Conca out to conquer in the midfield (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2011, 04:17:44 AM »
Reece Conca out to conquer in the midfield
Matt Windley
Herald Sun
January 07, 2011

RICHMOND recruit Reece Conca can't wait to play alongside Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin and Nathan Foley in the Tigers' midfield next season.

Conca, Richmond's first pick in the national draft, starred in the midfield for WAFL club Perth and for Western Australia's under-18 team last year.

Softly spoken Conca, 18, who admits to setting himself lofty goals, has every intention of doing the same for Richmond.

"I'd love to slot into the midfield somewhere alongside Cotchin and Martin," he said yesterday.

"If not, a wing or half-back, but anywhere in that midfield sort of area."

Conca started his pre-season in Richmond's rehab group, after ankle surgery late last season, but expects to start full training next week, when the players return from their Christmas break.

"Nathan Foley and Trent Cotchin have both been in the rehab group with me and I've been sticking pretty close to them and seeing what they do," he said. "It's pretty exciting."

Conca's name shot to prominence only days before the November 18 draft and his selection at No. 6 surprised many pundits.

Even he was caught on the hop when Richmond recruiter Francis Jackson told him of the Tigers' plans.

"We had a pretty lengthy interview at the draft camp, but apart from that there wasn't really much contact," he said.

"Then Francis flew over a couple of nights before the draft and said they'd take me at pick No. 6.

"Before that I was sort of looking at maybe going to Port Adelaide at pick No. 16 or the Dockers at No. 20.

"I couldn't wipe the smile off my face because it came out of nowhere."

Conca's story could have been so different. His Italian background pushed him towards soccer and he did not play Aussie Rules until high school.

He is only 183cm, but said he obviously avoided a family gene - his parents, older brother and twin sister are shorter than 170cm.

"I've grown a bit over the last year or so, so that's probably been an advantage," he said. "Now I just need to put on a bit more weight and get that fitness base up."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/reece-conca-out-to-conquer-in-the-midfield/story-e6frf9jf-1225983185727

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
Reece Conca gets ready for the rookie photo (courtesy of RFC twitter)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2011, 12:52:34 AM »
Reece Conca answering a few questions at the 2011 AFL Players Association Induction Camp:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AFLPA?feature=mhum#p/a/u/1/NXT-LNfkU7U

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Reece Conca interview (SportsNewsFirst)
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2011, 04:05:12 AM »
Reece Conca interview by SportsNewsFirst

Video:
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/data/media/00000001/00002143/new-layout.flv

If the above doesn't work you can access the video via this article:
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/02/01/reece-set-to-conquer-all-stars/