Author Topic: Rank our Defence  (Read 4571 times)

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rank our Defence
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »
Where the eff did I say it was you that said he was one of the best defenders in the league? Read the whole topic and you'll see that someone else said he's one of the best stoppers going around.

Kelvin Moore is better. Always has been. Madtiger can tell himself all he wants that McGuane was taking on the #1 forwards in 08 but it was Moore. I taped half of those games and Moore was the one playing on the likes of Franklin, Brown, Fev etc. I'm sure he can got an revisit some of the threads on those games and he'll see people talking about the goods jobs Kel did too. I'm not saying Moore is a superstar but he is a better player than McGuane. The way I see it McGuane needs a effing good year next year.

I don't get tiger supporters  8)
Moore takes the 2nd or 3rd best tall opposition forward 20 times a year and most of thoese are at half back. Been that way for last 3 years. You'll always look better playing on the 3rd tall and 50m away from the defensive goal square. Your possessions will be in more space and less pressure. If Moore played at FB every week, he'd get beaten alot more than Mcguane. Moore is just a handy undersized 3rd or 4rh tall suited at half back where he can delivery his dinky kicks over the top. Go and watch some replays, he turns it over just as much as Mcguane with his short kicks, he's far from a penetrating kick. Mcguane is a better long kick with much more penetration. If he gets his confidence up his short stab kicking will be pretty good. He has much more upside with some improvement in congested situations

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:25 PM »
Where the eff did I say it was you that said he was one of the best defenders in the league? Read the whole topic and you'll see that someone else said he's one of the best stoppers going around.

Kelvin Moore is better. Always has been. Madtiger can tell himself all he wants that McGuane was taking on the #1 forwards in 08 but it was Moore. I taped half of those games and Moore was the one playing on the likes of Franklin, Brown, Fev etc. I'm sure he can got an revisit some of the threads on those games and he'll see people talking about the goods jobs Kel did too. I'm not saying Moore is a superstar but he is a better player than McGuane. The way I see it McGuane needs a effing good year next year.

Moore takes the 2nd or 3rd best tall opposition forward 20 times a year and most of thoese are at half back. Been that way for last 3 years. You'll always look better playing on the 3rd tall and 50m away from the defensive goal square. Your possessions will be in more space and less pressure. If Moore played at FB every week, he'd get beaten alot more than Mcguane. Moore is just a handy undersized 3rd or 4rh tall suited at half back where he can delivery his dinky kicks over the top. Go and watch some replays, he turns it over just as much as Mcguane with his short kicks, he's far from a penetrating kick. Mcguane is a better long kick with much more penetration. If he gets his confidence up his short stab kicking will be pretty good. He has much more upside with some improvement in congested situations

i disagree with just about all of that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 09:48:13 PM »
A massive concern is all I can say. Not so much the smalls/midsize defenders but with our key defenders or rather lack of quality ones. Apart from Astbury as a future CHB (who admittedly is only entering his 2nd year and has yet been given a permanent key backman role), it's hard to see from those currently on our list where we'll find a quality FB. I don't see it from McGuane, Gourdis or Rance; too many flaws with their kicking and decision making. Thursty is really only biding him time this year until he is delisted as the game has gone past negating-only defenders while Postie is a "who knows" player at the minute who has yet to settle in any position. Moore is probably our most reliable tall-ish defender and seems to have the knack of regularly containing Buddy but like most of our backmen lacks size against the big lug opposition forwards. Grimes and Batchelor are unknowns. We are really missing a Hurley-type of defender on our list.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 10:00:57 PM »

i disagree with just about all of that.

As expected. You probably call BALL even though 95% of the time it isn't holding the ball too  8)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 10:09:28 PM »
We are really missing a Hurley-type of defender on our list.
You mean slow and will most likely play as a forward type?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »
Critics have been saying Hurley's too slow for AFL since his U18s days. He doesn't look so slow playing on a Nick Riewoldt. I would have him on our list ahead of most of our tall defenders. At least he can use the footy and hit a target by foot coming out of defence. I would even have Pears ahead of our options. The only players I'd take from Essendon's list btw as their midfield and forward line are crap.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

the claw

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 10:48:09 PM »
I thought having McGuane and Moore near the top would get some banter going  :P

You have to remember though this is not about whether our defenders compare to other defenders in the league or whether they are up to it but rather how they compare to each other.

Which tall defenders are better than McGuane and Moore? This is why we are trying Gourdis and why the emergence of Astbury is so important too.

Stripes
kel moore is a third tall only. to ask a 86kg bottom ended tall at barely 190cm to play kp is ridiculous. i hope in this area the rfc finally wakes up to itself.
thursfield well as a stopper a better player than mcguane. 
gourdis imo has already shown attributes that suggest a much better player than both. yet in the long term we may need to upgrade on him also.

imo you miss the whole point. we cant go with mcguane or thursty we have to do better. as such we now need to find out if gourdis is better. he certainly has more to work with than both the others.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »
Critics have been saying Hurley's too slow for AFL since his U18s days. He doesn't look so slow playing on a Nick Riewoldt. I would have him on our list ahead of most of our tall defenders. At least he can use the footy and hit a target by foot coming out of defence. I would even have Pears ahead of our options. The only players I'd take from Essendon's list btw as their midfield and forward line are crap.

Paddy Ryder might get a game  ;)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 11:15:07 PM »

:lol

I don't understand delusional folk. You avoided my question to you from a while back...are you that bloke from big footy who thought Cleve Hughes was a gun? Might help me understand why you think Moore played on the 3rd tall in 08 if you are. :shh I've seen plenty of McGuane and Moore. Moore is by far a better user of the ball.

Both need to have good years next year. As for your post to Slick Willy, who doesn't occasionally do that at a game? What are you, an armchair ump or something?  :bow

Regards,
Sexy Uncle

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 12:23:25 AM »
He's still not fast, Saint Nick isn't super fast either, amazing tank though

Ox

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 01:52:14 AM »
6/10

improvement to 8 this season expected.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »
6/10

improvement to 8 this season expected.

Or prayed for!    :pray

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 09:05:03 AM »
imo you miss the whole point. we cant go with mcguane or thursty we have to do better. as such we now need to find out if gourdis is better. he certainly has more to work with than both the others.

Which point would that be? That at the moment McGuane and Moore are our best Key Position backmen or that Gourdis is barely off the Rookie list and we are praying he will miraculously improve to such a point in one year that he becomes our undesputed full back. I'm hoping the last is the case but he still has a huge amount of growth and development a head of him in a very small time frame.

I think as myself, MT and others have already pointed out, that our key backmen are a real concern and the recruitment and development of talent in this area should be one of our biggest focus on as a club going forward.

So what point did I miss?

Stripes

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »
I like big Gourdis. Had a good year with the Burgers at full back and I was impressed with him when he stepped into the Richmond side. Has got some things to learn but there is definitely something there. Hopefully he plays 10 (or more) games next year.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
We all see what we want to see at times.

Gourdis and Grimes have a long long way to go.  Watch the 4thQ vs PA (round 22) and see how many goals those two cost us by crashing into each other.  The way those two got so easily blocked out of marking contests (by crashing into each other no less) says they've got lots to work on with respect of positioning, reading blocks and reading how the ball is coming into the forward line.  Keystone Kop'esque if truth be told.