Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 738865 times)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 01:17:20 AM »
Wouldnt say Gillard is the worst PM in Australian history.
No doubt shes up there with the worst of them joining Whitlam and Rudd.
I think the main problem with Rudd and Gillard is that there not good sellers of there policy's. When you get down to it this flood levy isnt much but yet they've miss sold it and allowed the opposition to set the agenda just like with the rates issue involving the banks.

Not at all.

Abbott is up their spruking yet he is Lilly white and his body language is anything butngenuine and caring. He has a mistrustful face.

No-one in QLD trusts a vanilla face. 

Labor are having to defend this levy on radio interviews and tv interviews due to liberals setting the agenda that there was enough savings in the budget to cover the costs of the rebuild.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »
Gillard and Rudd dont hold a candle when compared to Whitlam in terms of legacy to the nation. Whitlam may have lead a rabble government but he left Australia with what is now known as Medicare and just for that he should be championed as having done something great in our country.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 07:22:25 PM »
10.5% unemployment, 21% interest rates, wage freezes, zero economic reform ......... welcome to the Fraser government with Howard as treasurer. Even Whitlam who got the sack didn't have Australia in such a mess although all were shockers. From 1968-83 Australia was poorly governed.

Gillard has her faults but sheesh you'd have to be deluded to say she's the worst PM ever. Australia has relatively low unemployment (half that of the USA), low debt of approx. 3% of GDP (Euros in the 10-20%, USA is near 30% and Japan 60%  :o ) and a stable strong growing economy that avoided recession during the GFC thanks to the stimulus policy. Oh what terrible times  :rollin.

I think the main problem with Rudd and Gillard is that there not good sellers of there policy's. When you get down to it this flood levy isnt much but yet they've miss sold it and allowed the opposition to set the agenda just like with the rates issue involving the banks.

Not at all.

Abbott is up their spruking yet he is Lilly white and his body language is anything butngenuine and caring. He has a mistrustful face.

Labor are having to defend this levy on radio interviews and tv interviews due to liberals setting the agenda that there was enough savings in the budget to cover the costs of the rebuild.
Abbott the other day told the Young Libs there's $1b "savings" available from the Murray water buy back scheme as it's no longer needed because there's plenty of water. I didn't realise this strong La Nina will remain forever and he could guarantee we'll never ever be in drought again nor see water overused  ::). Once you take away the 10 second "just say no" tv soundbite, the guy is a simplistic imbecile. Always has been. I bet Turnbull and other Lib moderates are smiling on the inside knowing they'll have the chance soon to regain the Liberal leadership once Queensland turns on phoney Tony.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

10 FLAGS

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 09:36:41 PM »
10.5% unemployment, 21% interest rates, wage freezes, zero economic reform ......... welcome to the Fraser government with Howard as treasurer. Even Whitlam who got the sack didn't have Australia in such a mess although all were shockers. From 1968-83 Australia was poorly governed.

Gillard has her faults but sheesh you'd have to be deluded to say she's the worst PM ever. Australia has relatively low unemployment (half that of the USA), low debt of approx. 3% of GDP (Euros in the 10-20%, USA is near 30% and Japan 60%  :o ) and a stable strong growing economy that avoided recession during the GFC thanks to the stimulus policy. Oh what terrible times  :rollin.

Not at all.

Abbott the other day told the Young Libs there's $1b "savings" available from the Murray water buy back scheme as it's no longer needed because there's plenty of water. I didn't realise this strong La Nina will remain forever and he could guarantee we'll never ever be in drought again nor see water overused  ::). Once you take away the 10 second "just say no" tv soundbite, the guy is a simplistic imbecile. Always has been. I bet Turnbull and other Lib moderates are smiling on the inside knowing they'll have the chance soon to regain the Liberal leadership once Queensland turns on phoney Tony.

Hawke, Keating and Howard as PMs and primarily Keating and Costello as Treasurers gave Australia the economy we have today. Gillard and Rudd gave us insulation schemes and school halls which cost billions. Im sorry MT but Gillard and Rudd are not in there league. No where near it.

FNM

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2011, 09:52:07 PM »

Not at all.

Hawke, Keating and Howard as PMs and primarily Keating and Costello as Treasurers gave Australia the economy we have today. Gillard and Rudd gave us insulation schemes and school halls which cost billions. Im sorry MT but Gillard and Rudd are not in there league. No where near it.
You would find any party in government at the moment would find it almost impossible to govern
Having to kowtow to the independents, let alone one of the biggest disasters in this country, I defy any party to get out of this pickle
Would have been better with another election!

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 10:07:58 PM »
In times of disasters good leaders stand up and embrace the public and can pull everyone in one direction.
Yet Gillard has been unable to do any of this.

FNM

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2011, 10:27:44 PM »
In times of disasters good leaders stand up and embrace the public and can pull everyone in one direction.
If she had control of the Parliament maybe she could
She doesn't so wouldn't matter who was leader, the opposition would be doing the same crap as they're doing now
Oppose everything, not for what's good for the country but to cause more instability
They are the biggest hypocrites of all time
I hope Tony does get in by the end of the year and we'll see what he can do
He'll do exactly the same, introduce taxes in one form or another or probably cut pensions being the caring lot they are!

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2011, 10:47:47 PM »
She doesn't so wouldn't matter who was leader, the opposition would be doing the same crap as they're doing now
Oppose everything, not for what's good for the country but to cause more instability
He'll do exactly the same, introduce taxes in one form or another or probably cut pensions being the caring lot they are!

I put down Gillard not winning another majority Labor term as a failure.
2nd term governments should win majority.
I wonder what lessons Gillard and Swan will learn from the public reaction of this tax. So they dont make the same mistake when pushing a carbon tax through.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2011, 10:55:54 PM »

your probably right he will more than likely introduce another tax and say its a tax we had to have to fix up Labours mess.

Rudd was a far better leader than Gillard and would be doing a better job if he were still in power.

What he did while he was in power cannot be faulted. The insulation mess was a good idea just executed poorly.

Ditto $900. Great idea and was the best thing he did by a long way i dont care what any of you say

Gillard is a joke lets be honest here. I cringe when she speaks. She speaks poorly and is not a good leader.

Is she the worst? il let you oldies discuss that i wouldnt know

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

FNM

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 07:11:08 AM »
Yeah, someone's accent is the criteria for good leadership  ::)
Anyone heard of Bob Hawke?
FFS, the logic of some people!  :banghead

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 07:39:18 AM »
Daniel didn't say that. He said she speaks poorly and isn't a good leader.

What part of that isn't true  ;) ;D

FNM

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 08:05:58 AM »
Daniel didn't say that. He said she speaks poorly and isn't a good leader.

What part of that isn't true  ;) ;D
She speaks fine to me, depends on how pathetic you are to find any sort of thing to moan and whinge about!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 12:11:58 PM »
Yeah, someone's accent is the criteria for good leadership  ::)
Anyone heard of Bob Hawke?
FFS, the logic of some people!  :banghead

yes and the logic of those people who said Tony Abbott isnt a good leader cause he wears budgie smugglers. I dont like the bloke at all but lets be serious who cares what he wears. I bet you were the first one to jump up and down and bag him.

i said she speaks poorly and is a poor leader. In a time when the country had their backs to the wall she could have stood up like Bligh has done but instead she proved once again she has absolutely no idea.

Bligh came into the Flood issue with her leadership in question. She will now remain in that position. Why??

It was the words that came out of her mouth to reassure Qld. For these people im sure it meant a lot than it did to you and i.

You must be kidding yourself if you think it matters little the way someone speaks and comes across. People want a leader not her.

Rudd was a better leader than Gillard
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »
100% agree with all you said daniel. She is a poorly spoken leader.

FNM

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
yes and the logic of those people who said Tony Abbott isnt a good leader cause he wears budgie smugglers. I dont like the bloke at all but lets be serious who cares what he wears. I bet you were the first one to jump up and down and bag him.

Probably.  But in the words of one of his own colleagues, Peter Costello, said he was an economics dill, so why would I trust him either in charge of our economy - and dear, why would anyone?
But forget what people say or what twang they have in their voices, the only thing that matters is unemployment levels are low, inflation is low and they're getting on with trying to rebuild a devastated Queensland and Victoria, yet they're being stopped by people who want to take some political mileage, while people up there are suffering.  As I think MT said, Queenslanders will remember.