Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766177 times)

Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #645 on: August 25, 2011, 09:37:27 AM »
The World Wildlife Fund says three planets worth of natural resources will be needed by the middle of this century if current consumption rates continue.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-25/three-planets-resources-population/2854812

Who said we don't need to address the carbob issue.

:banghead

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #646 on: August 25, 2011, 10:51:54 AM »

Would certainly be interesting to watch.

I'll give them 6 months before Turnbull challenges.

:thumbsup

No. Just because you labor supporters are getting nervous with Abbott being leader of the liberals doesn't mean there going to dump him.
Liberals know why there ahead in the polls because they are against this carbon tax. Turnbull agree'd with labor policy and got himself nowhere in the polls. Why would they go back to him? They would try Hockey or someone who hasn't been leader before Turnbull again.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #647 on: August 25, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »

Who said we don't need to address the carbob issue.

:banghead

Don't you mean "cash for clunkers"?  ;D

« Reply #648 on: August 30, 2011, 06:14:51 AM »

TRADE Minister Craig Emerson has savaged Tony Abbott as "a duplicitous hypocrite" after the Opposition Leader called for a debate on steel industry protection while simultaneously declaring his faith in free markets.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/tony-abbott-trips-on-industry-protection/story-fn59noo3-1226124933653

Once again as soon as Tony A strays from his three word slogans and actually talks about policy he shows his ignorance.

The back bench Liberals are starting to get restless.

Watch this space.

« Reply #649 on: August 30, 2011, 06:18:53 AM »

Coalition 'angst' at Abbott's attitude

BY CHRIS JOHNSON CHIEF POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

29 Aug, 2011 12:00 AM

Tony Abbott has little trust for his front bench and is paranoid about being double-crossed, according to a number of senior members of his team who have expressed a growing unease over the Opposition Leader's style.

Some shadow ministers as well as numerous backbenchers have told The Canberra Times that Mr Abbott is nervous about many of those around him and that he is making too many unilateral decisions.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/national/national/general/coalition-angst-at-abbotts-attitude/2273068.aspx

Watch this space

« Reply #650 on: August 30, 2011, 06:23:03 AM »
and from the same article...

Mr Windsor said Mr Abbott had told him he would do anything to get his support for government and joked: ''The only thing I wouldn't do is sell my arse - but I'd have to give serious thought to it.''

Mr Abbott denied making the remark.

''I don't speak like that. People who know me know that I don't speak like that,'' he said.

Notice that Tony never actually said that he did not make the comment.

More double-speak from the master of spin.

Watch this space.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #651 on: August 31, 2011, 02:31:49 PM »
Great to see the high court put a stop to this disaster Malaysia refugee swap policy.

Another policy failure by Gillard.  :rollin

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #652 on: August 31, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
Great to see the high court put a stop to this disaster Malaysia refugee swap policy.

Worst government since Kirners labour party  :banghead

Somebody call an election FFS!  :pray

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #653 on: August 31, 2011, 08:10:06 PM »

I'm actually glad as both sides are just pandering to the paranoid loser vote who use immigrants as scapegoats for everything :sleep. We are required to take in 13,500 refugees per year whether there's no boats or 100 boats and the number of boat people has never even got close to that (6,600 is the most IIRC). This of course is out of a total immigration intake of around 170k at the moment. So there's all this fuss over approx. 3% of our immigration intake  ::). Both side are willing to waste all this taxpayers money on appeasing the dumb redneck vote who get hysterical at the vision of a rickety old boat bopping in the ocean yet take no notice of a plane-load of asylum seekers as they are sight unseen. Even many of the Tampa asylum seekers who didn't end up in NZ were re-settled in Australia a few years later when everyone had forgotten about them. The whole thing is a political and media driven farce and in time future generations will look back and shake our heads in disgust.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #654 on: August 31, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »

Worst government since Kirners labour party  :banghead

Somebody call an election FFS!  :pray
Still two years away  ;D.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #655 on: August 31, 2011, 08:31:54 PM »
MT we all know majority of illegal arrivals that got sent to Nauru detention ended up receiving asylum here in Australia.
So the effect of it showing us to be tough that stopped people risking there lives in leaking boats worked.
How the left can claim it was barbaric when there policies couldn't even pass the high court is just hypocritical.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #656 on: August 31, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
MT we all know majority of illegal arrivals that got sent to Nauru detention ended up receiving asylum here in Australia.
So the effect of it showing us to be tough that stopped people risking there lives in leaking boats worked.
How the left can claim it was barbaric when there policies couldn't even pass the high court is just hypocritical.
I would say the actual Left were against the "Malaysian solution" just as they were against the "Pacific solution". They are celebrating the High Court decision and would've been involved in setting up the High Court challenge in the first place.

Anyway as far as boat arrivals, there hasn't been a year since 1989 where there have been no boat arrivals at all. Ironically we didn't have mandatory detention in the 80s yet not one boat arrived for 7 straight years! Just shows overseas conflicts play the major role in the number of refugees rather than what pollies in Australia come up with.

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/bn/sp/boatarrivals.htm#_Toc285178607

See there are always people desperate enough to attempt the trip on a rickety old boat whatever policy is around.  The numbers were slowly increasing again towards the end of Howard Government when you look at that table so so much for "stopping the boats"  ::). Even the current policy (which as I said I disagree with) has reduced the number of boat arrivals from last year yet it's called a failure by those crying "stop the boats". As I said all this fuss and money wasted over a small percentage of our total immigration intake is ridiculous but we all know it's purely about politics - to have the refugees publicly out of sight out of mind and sneak them in through the backdoor so the pollies don't upset anti-immigration losers looking for scapegoats. Yep the pollies really care for the refugees' welfare and safety :chuck.

In the late 70s we had the Vietnamese boat people arriving and there was all this similar hysteria from the same loser-types who needed scapegoats. I know a guy who escaped Vietnam as kid with his family from memory on a overturned bus to get to a boat. He's now a professor and works in the financial sector in Collins St. Damn send him back!  ::) We are all either immigrants (5 million Australians) or descended from immigrants. People are a country's greatest asset but it seems we have forgotten that.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #657 on: September 20, 2011, 11:27:48 PM »
Wayne Swan has won the finance minister of the year award for 2011.

http://www.euromoney.com/Article/2897778/Category/1/ChannelPage/0/Finance-minister-of-the-year-2011-Swan-confounds-his-domestic-sceptics.html

Meanwhile Mr No to everything is already threatening a double dissolution election after the next election if he gets in ::)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/tony-abbott-vows-to-scrap-carbon-scheme-if-elected-to-government/story-fn7x8me2-1226142084432

Him

« Reply #658 on: September 21, 2011, 06:07:22 AM »
"But, beginning with his swift response to stimulate the economy in 2007-08 despite strong opposition at home, Swan has succeeded in getting most of the important decisions right," the magazine said

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/wayne-swan-named-worlds-best-treasurer-by-euromoney-magazine/story-fn59niix-1226142190437

I drive past three primary schools on the way to work and still admire the Gyms that were built as part of the stimulation package. Gyms that will be used by countless generations of students to come.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #659 on: September 21, 2011, 07:41:27 AM »
What are you on about?

Gyms in state run schools? PFFT.

Only those whose parents can afford to send them to private schools should have access to such things.

The peasants should only get a half flat medicine ball to play with in a gravelled garden bed...and be grateful for it
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI