Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766175 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #750 on: November 18, 2011, 11:26:09 AM »

No conviction was recorded so she can keep her spot in the senate but should she resign.

All the fuss about the Labor backbencher (what was his name) and he still hasn't even been charged.

Liberal senator found guilty of assault

Updated November 18, 2011 11:13:45

Fisher has been found guilty of assault

Liberal senator Mary Jo Fisher has been found guilty of assault but not guilty of shoplifting, in Adelaide Magistrates Court.

But the magistrate has not recorded a conviction, so the Senator is assured of retaining her place in the Upper House.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #751 on: November 18, 2011, 04:12:05 PM »
1965 wake up to your self. The women is suffering a disease and you use it to push your political agenda.

Plus don't try and defend the FWA absolute farce of the investigation over a union rep using union membership fee money for hookers.

Fisher's treating psychiatrist also gave evidence at trial that the senator had depression and anxiety that manifested in an extreme panic attack on December 15 last year.

Dr Brian McKenny said the incident was a "major psychological event" for Fisher and attributed it to a combination of stress and a recent change in her medication.

He said potential side-effects of changing medication included feeling vague and increased anxiety for a short period.

"(Ms) Fisher clearly wasn't well on that day in terms of depression," he said.

Today Magistrate Kym Boxall cleared Fisher of stealing goods from the supermarket at Frewville last year.

But Mr Boxall said Fisher did use force against store security officer Cathryn Groot.

He did not record a conviction or impose a penalty.

Mr Boxall said Fisher assaulted Ms Groot as she tried to leave the premises by pushing her out of the way of her car and slamming the driver's side door into Ms Groot's arm several times.

Mr Boxall said Fisher did so in the context of suffering from a panic attack and the associated symptoms, and was seeking personal space.

Under the Commonwealth Constitution, if an MP is convicted of an offence that has a penalty of imprisonment of at least a year, they are disqualified from holding office.

About a million Australians experience depression and two million suffer some form of anxiety disorder, depression initiative Beyondblue says.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #752 on: November 18, 2011, 05:53:02 PM »
1965 wake up to your self. The women is suffering a disease and you use it to push your political agenda.

Plus don't try and defend the FWA absolute farce of the investigation over a union rep using union membership fee money for hookers.

The trial was told the MP was suffering from a panic attack, but a second medical expert called late in the proceedings questioned that defence.

Mr Boxall said he accepted Fisher's evidence that she had a panic attack in the store, but he was satisfied that she was conscious of what she was doing when she made physical contact with the security officer.

And another Doctor questioned the panic attack defence and the Magistrate ruled that she knew what she was doing when she assaulted the officer.

Get your blinkers off.

We have one MP that was vilified all around even before he was charged and yet a Liberal Senator is charged and found guilty and yet she is defended.

Hypocrite.

:cheers

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #753 on: November 19, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »

Article says it all. Worth a read.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-19/extreme-weather-to-worsen-with-climate-change/3681686

Extreme weather to worsen with climate change: UN

Updated November 19, 2011 17:24:36

An increase in heat waves is almost certain, while heavier rainfall, more floods, stronger cyclones, landslides and more intense droughts are likely across the globe this century as the Earth's climate warms, UN scientists say.

In a report released in Uganda on Friday, the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) urged countries to make disaster management plans to adapt to the growing risk of extreme weather linked to human-induced climate change.

The report gives differing probabilities for weather events based on future greenhouse gas emissions scenarios, but the thrust is that extreme weather is likely to increase and that the likely cause is humans.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #754 on: November 20, 2011, 02:15:40 PM »
I don't think that will change any of the denialists' minds '65 as they don't support the IPCC or its findings. It's all a conspiracy theory. In any case the carbon tax is in law now so the political debate will die down for a bit until mid-2012. It'll be interesting to see if the next few polls continue to close up.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #755 on: November 21, 2011, 02:47:56 PM »

Trouble in Abbott's paradise.  He is a dead man walking.  :thumbsup

Although increasingly Labor's best chance of victory is if Abbott stays as Liberal leader.  :lol

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-21/abbott-plays-down-internal-disputes-over-mining-tax/3683780

Abbott plays down Coalition mining tax frictionBy Jeremy Thompson
Updated November 21, 2011 12:32:52

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has refused to respond to press reports that some in his party now favour the Minerals Resource Rent Tax, despite the Coalition’s pledge to repeal the measure if it wins government.

The Sydney Morning Herald quotes an unnamed Liberal MP as saying there is a growing view within the Coalition that the tax will be needed to fund the party's promises.

Western Australian Liberal Mal Washer has already publicly supported the tax - but says he will not cross the floor to vote with the Government.

Asked twice about the rumblings within his own party, Mr Abbott this morning would only say "this is a bad tax from a bad government."

After the second question, Mr Abbott told reporters to change the subject.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #756 on: November 21, 2011, 10:52:31 PM »
'65 is after a AO from Julia  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #757 on: November 22, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »
more likely to get an AVO from abbott though
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #758 on: November 22, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »
more likely to get an AVO from abbott though

:thatsgold

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #759 on: November 22, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
Bill Shorten is my pick for PM.

Don't have much time for Julia, tooo much baggage.

:thumbsup

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #760 on: November 22, 2011, 12:53:44 PM »
Bill Shorten is my pick for PM.

Don't have much time for Julia, tooo much baggage.

Too much junk in the trunk too.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #761 on: November 23, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »

Everybody!!....."But I will walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more...Just to pee of 1965, I will walk right to his Doooorrr " ROFLMAOOOOO  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #762 on: November 23, 2011, 03:14:06 PM »

Everybody!!....."But I will walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more...Just to pee of 1965, I will walk right to his Doooorrr " ROFLMAOOOOO  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Classic deflection, losing the argument so change the topic.

Just an indication that you are becoming aware of the reality of Tony's negativity, lack of policies and his refusal to say where he will find the $70 billion dollars needed to fund his various rollbacks.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #763 on: November 23, 2011, 03:18:41 PM »

More trouble in Tony-town  :lol

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-23/liberals-close-ranks-around-abbott/3688432

Abbott accused of sidelining MPs
By Jeremy Thompson
Updated November 23, 2011 12:31:22

Senior Liberals are closing ranks around Opposition Leader Tony Abbott after accusations by Liberal MPs that he is leaving them in the dark over important policy decisions.

In the Coalition party room yesterday, Victorian MP Kelly O'Dwyer and Paul Fletcher from New South Wales questioned the economic wisdom of retaining the Government's superannuation boost while, at the same time, dumping the mining tax that funds it.

The decision was made outside the party room by the Liberal leadership group - although key finance spokesman Andrew Robb was excluded from the phone hook-up a fortnight ago.

Liberal sources have told ABC News Online Mr Abbott was "annoyed" by the party room dissent and told Ms O'Dwyer, who once worked for then Treasurer Peter Costello, to talk to her former boss about it.

"It wasn't a good look," one MP told ABC News Online, saying a number of MPs were unhappy about the way Mr Abbott reacted.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #764 on: November 23, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »

Classic deflection, losing the argument so change the topic.

Just an indication that you are becoming aware of the reality of Tony's negativity, lack of policies and his refusal to say where he will find the $70 billion dollars needed to fund his various rollbacks.

65, you're like that guy who refuses to let go of the microphone even after the music has started to play. Sorry mate all I can hear right now are strings and brass.
You are embarrassing yourself. Get off the stage or find a new act as your dog and pony are looking severely malnourished.