Author Topic: Australian Politics thread [merged]  (Read 766281 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Australian Politics thread [merged]
« Reply #795 on: December 01, 2011, 03:28:44 PM »
Lying Liberals caught out

Lib policy costings exposed by ruling

Peter Martin
December 1, 2011.

THE federal Coalition's economic credibility has been dealt a blow after a tribunal found that two accountants who costed its 2010 election policies had breached professional standards.

The ruling is an embarrassment to shadow treasurer Joe Hockey, who wrongly insisted during the campaign that the accountants' policy costings had been audited.

Geoffrey Phillip Kid and Cyrus Patell, of the Perth office of accountants WHK Horwath, produced a one-page report for the Coalition on its policies two days before the election.

Mr Hockey said at the time that the pair had certified "in law that our numbers are accurate''.

"If the fifth-biggest accounting firm in Australia signs off on our numbers it is a brave person to start saying there are accounting tricks," Mr Hockey told ABC radio in November 2010. "I tell you it is audited. This is an audited statement.''

Fellow Coalition frontbencher Andrew Robb also strongly vouched for the costings, saying they were "as good as you could get anywhere in the country, including in Treasury''.

In fact, the document was the result of a carefully worded agreement between the accountants and the Coalition to produce work primarily ''not of an audit nature''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/lib-policy-costings-exposed-by-ruling-20111130-1o773.html#ixzz1fFo3d9au
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 04:05:50 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #796 on: December 01, 2011, 04:20:26 PM »
Good to see Julia has rewarded herself with an extra 90k a year for breaking promises, creating new taxes  and cutting the baby bonus. No surprise 1965 is silent on this matter though.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #797 on: December 01, 2011, 04:54:19 PM »
nailed it one tiger. She is the only one to get a payrise ...

:nope

but hey, dont let small facts get in the way of your barracking.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #798 on: December 01, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Good to see Julia has rewarded herself with an extra 90k a year for breaking promises, creating new taxes  and cutting the baby bonus. No surprise 1965 is silent on this matter though.

My team, the Greens, are the only ones to come out against this rise.

Tony and Julia will both let it slide through to the keeper.

:thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #799 on: December 01, 2011, 05:38:41 PM »

Well actually she hasn't rewarded herself, the decision was made by the "independant umpire" the Remuneration Tribunal who determined the amount of the increases.

Both sides areto blame here - neither will knock it back even though they could if they wanted too = FACT 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #800 on: December 01, 2011, 08:03:07 PM »
WP I'm just evening up the bias reporting in here from 1965.
I agree its never a good look for any politician when they raise there wages but especially for the government who are the ones that get labelled in the headlines of newspapers with it.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #801 on: December 01, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »
65's theme may be biased, but he's not clutching at straws

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #802 on: December 01, 2011, 09:12:34 PM »
A lot of people think tiger101. I know plenty of people who throw their rubbish out the car window because other people do it and there is already stacks of litter on the roadside.

with the greatest respect if you know people that do that, then there's your problem right there
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #803 on: December 01, 2011, 09:15:21 PM »

I dont support Gillard Tiger but she deserves a payrise, after all she does lead our country and to think that some computer nerds get paid close to that amount is quite funny.

Baby Bonus reduced to 5k is no big deal either but my question is why didnt they reduce the paid parental scheme, thats the bigger cost to them
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #804 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57:27 PM »
From the theme of posters in this thread I get the sense alot are left leaning supporters but I have never heard people run down a government and PM so much in the public arena before. When out talking to people it is now becoming a daily occurrence I am hearing people complain about how much their unhappy with Gillard. I personally didn't hear half as much about politics under Rudd or Howard. I'm not a number cruncher so not sure if the polls are reflecting it but I can't see how Gillard will change peoples minds about her.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #805 on: December 01, 2011, 11:01:52 PM »
im not too sure that she does expect to.

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #806 on: December 03, 2011, 08:11:33 PM »
Seem's like state ALP are feeling the effects of their Federal partners trying to steal mining money away from states.

WESTERN Australia's Labor leader ripped into the minerals resources rent tax yesterday, saying mining families in his state saw it as a tax on them.

He also condemned government proposals to penalise states which increase royalties.

Opposition Leader Eric Ripper said he had paid a price for supporting the MRRT but he warned Labor at its conference against going further.

He advised against examining ways to penalise states which increase their royalties, which was promised by Prime Minister Julia Gillard last month in a deal for the support of independents Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor.

"It might be a matter of some surprise to you that constitutionally and legally the minerals under West Australian soil belong to the people of Western Australia, that is what Federation means," he said.

"No WA Labor politician will ever agree to giving up our right to charge royalties and our right to increase royalties as we see fit.

Mr Ripper opposed the proposal to extend the mining tax to other minerals.

"You will kill Federal Labor and WA Labor if you support this amendment," he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/western-australias-labor-leader-eric-ripper-attacks-mining-tax-law/story-e6freuy9-1226212726808

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #807 on: December 05, 2011, 09:29:19 AM »
Seem's like state ALP are feeling the effects of their Federal partners trying to steal mining money away from states.

WESTERN Australia's Labor leader ripped into the minerals resources rent tax yesterday, saying mining families in his state saw it as a tax on them.

He also condemned government proposals to penalise states which increase royalties.

Opposition Leader Eric Ripper said he had paid a price for supporting the MRRT but he warned Labor at its conference against going further.

He advised against examining ways to penalise states which increase their royalties, which was promised by Prime Minister Julia Gillard last month in a deal for the support of independents Rob Oakeshott and Tony Windsor.

"It might be a matter of some surprise to you that constitutionally and legally the minerals under West Australian soil belong to the people of Western Australia, that is what Federation means," he said.

"No WA Labor politician will ever agree to giving up our right to charge royalties and our right to increase royalties as we see fit.

Mr Ripper opposed the proposal to extend the mining tax to other minerals.

"You will kill Federal Labor and WA Labor if you support this amendment," he said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/western-australias-labor-leader-eric-ripper-attacks-mining-tax-law/story-e6freuy9-1226212726808
I look forward to those West Aussies complaining about this to demand that Victoria be allowed to keep all the GST it generates  .... I won't hold my breath. What's good for the gander ....
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #808 on: December 12, 2011, 03:29:25 AM »
THE world's biggest polluters will draw up a historic new agreements to fight climate change by legal force.

All major emitters, including China and America, were among the 194 countries that yesterday made a pact to draw up the battle plans by 2015 as the 14-day United Nations Climate Change Conference wound up in the South African city of Durban.

Replacing the existing Kyoto Protocol, the new accord will take effect in 2020 and put all nations under the same legal regimen.

It's the first time China and the US have committed to fight global warming under a single agreement.

The two countries account for 37 per cent of global emissions.

The growing economies of India and Brazil will also be covered.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/the-worlds-biggest-polluters-agree-on-a-battle-plan/story-fn7x8me2-1226219419603
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-11/un-climate-talks3a-key-points/3724666

One more step.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #809 on: December 12, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
Emilys list alive & strong in the ALP!

The ten headed monster rearing it's ugly head once again.

This is officially the most disingenuos government in Australias history.
The club that keeps giving.